• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Robin Williams' bike collection is up for auction (charity)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thats pretty damn cool. Paging @cbk

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Schwinn Stingray.....the lust object of my youth!

Robin Williams sure liked his seat bags.

The only comedian that actually made me roll on the floor, holding my belly, laughing.

RIP!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yikes! That boy had some bikes.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And I thought I had a lot of skis. I guess I shouldn't get hung up on that. Oops... sorry.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Thats pretty damn cool. Paging @cbk

Dude. You're killing me! (He said as he headed back out to the garage to replace a set of shifting cables...)

Interesting bike, this one:

https://m.paddle8.com/work/specialized/124577-allez-s-works-festina/

I had an S-Works Festina on which the rear drive-side dropout fractured, Specialized replaced the frameset with the Zebra S-Works you can see in the "Trusty Steed" thread... Too bad they don't include the frame sizes, but I'm guessing by looking at the steer tube sizes they're probably a bit small for me.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Wow. Some very interesting bikes. Any clue on how to figure out frame sizes? I'm sure these will be bid up through the roof. Good cause. Neat.

chemist

Falling off the lift.
Skier
Impressed by the number of bikes, was fun to look through.

It seems like the auction house's presentation is assuming that people that are buying these are going to display them rather than ride them. E.g., they don't give the frame sizes, they give length x height (like for a painting!). Not sure if that's necessarily the case, though. It's certainly not set up for easy browsing by people that actually ride bikes. For them, each subtitle on the main page should give the frame size, weight, production year, and gruppo/wheels, for easy scanning. One should not have to tediously click on the individual bike to find that basic info. (and frame size, weight, and production year aren't included anywhere!). Further, what does
"Number of gears: 9 speed; General gearing: 2x10" mean? Also, the pics are very low-res. I hope this doesn't interfere with how much they're able to raise for charity.

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I gotta say not much there catches my eye (even though they are all too small).
Maybe the Masi if I had to find one. I know collectors with FAR shallower pockets with way nicer bikes (imo).
But he was a rider, so at least some of them got some use, as it should be.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The only thing that makes most of them "collectable", IMO, is the former owner. They do look like real small frames.

That Masi is pretty neat. Like the Bianchi, too. And I'm a fan of Independent Fabrications.

Will be interesting to see what these fetch.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
... Maybe the Masi if I had to find one....

I had a 1990 Tre Volumetrica (aka 3V), re-painted by CyclArt, I still think that was the best looking bicycle I ever owned. Unfortunately, it was just a wee bit too large for me so I hooked up somebody in the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's "Team In Training" program with a killer deal. Hopefully they're still enjoying the ride!

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Impressed by the number of bikes, was fun to look through.

It seems like the auction house's presentation is assuming that people that are buying these are going to display them rather than ride them. E.g., they don't give the frame sizes, they give length x height (like for a painting!). Not sure if that's necessarily the case, though. It's certainly not set up for easy browsing by people that actually ride bikes. For them, each subtitle on the main page should give the frame size, weight, production year, and gruppo/wheels, for easy scanning. One should not have to tediously click on the individual bike to find that basic info. (and frame size, weight, and production year aren't included anywhere!). Further, what does
"Number of gears: 9 speed; General gearing: 2x10" mean? Also, the pics are very low-res. I hope this doesn't interfere with how much they're able to raise for charity.

This is common use now for cyclists. It's simply the number of chainrings times the number of cogs out back.
So in this example she has a double crankset and a ten speed rear cassette.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Surprisingly "ordinary" collection. And I mean that in the very best way. He clearly was "just" a bike nut with a collection. Almost nothing in there that an average bike enthusiast wouldn't be likely to have. Perhaps more of them, but not different.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Surprisingly "ordinary" collection. And I mean that in the very best way. He clearly was "just" a bike nut with a collection. Almost nothing in there that an average bike enthusiast wouldn't be likely to have. Perhaps more of them, but not different.

Yup, know exactly what you mean. He bought what he liked to ride.