• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Robots are getting better...

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hmmm....

Boston Dynamics plus facial recognition plus a weapons system. The technology exists. Not all actors with the resources to put this together are benign.

It's all fun and games until some-one uploads "our" face.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Notice how the knees are always somewhat bent. Never straight legs. Watch and learn.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It is creepy , BUT, we must always embrace and support technology and not fight it.

Idk about that….Things tend to move fast nowadays, without any concern of the long term affects on society.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hmmm....

Boston Dynamics plus facial recognition plus a weapons system. The technology exists. Not all actors with the resources to put this together are benign.

It's all fun and games until some-one uploads "our" face.
My reaction too - very frightening ... this could easily portend the beginning of the end of the human race.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Robby will do well on a Mars mission.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
A few years ago I was at a gathering of food trucks and with one of them you put $5 into a slot, push a few selection buttons and a robot made you an ice cream sundae. I thought, this is what a $15/hr MacDonalds employee looks like.

I think we are leaving the industrial age/computer age and are on the cusp of start of the auto/robot age. I don't think self driving cars will take off but self flying cars will. The 3D advantage of flight will make collisions rare as once a flight path is entered, other flying vehicles easily avoid your flying car and each other.

Drone package deliveries come first.

Better, lighter, more efficient batteries will lead to auto pilot electric short flight duration aircraft. And with auto pilot battery electric choppers comes the eventual elimination of chairlifts at ski resorts (ok that one may be on the back burner for a while)

Last edited:

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A few years ago I was at a gathering of food trucks and with one of them you put $5 into a slot, push a few selection buttons and a robot made you an ice cream sundae. I thought, this is what a $15/hr MacDonalds employee looks like.

I think we are leaving the industrial age/computer age and are on the cusp of start of the auto/robot age. I don't think self driving cars will take off but self flying cars will. The 3D advantage of flight will make collisions rare as once a flight path is entered, other flying vehicles easily avoid your flying car and each other.

Better, lighter, more efficient batteries will lead to auto pilot electric short flight duration aircraft. And with auto pilot battery electric choppers comes the eventual elimination of chairlifts at ski resorts (ok that one may be on the back burner for a while)

Just add skis
1629582703541.png

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yes let's use drones for "packages" if by package you mean fiery death!

In all seriousness, UAS is now used for more and more wildfire missions, including the current fires right right now.
Those are more using the pingpong ball firing operations; which is an evolution from manned helicopter, the flamethrower drone perhaps not so much. Still fire from above

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Olympics and stuff....

They angulate at the hips and can counter well.

1629591451735.png

And elsewhere there's a good measure of knee angulation (via rotation, same as us).

Not sure I'm seeing much subtalar action. (Then again, could build in all the lateral knee angulation necessary.)

Be interesting to see how they handled being on skis. The learning algos may take time to get some competency.

I don't think self driving cars will take off

Self driving cars are already taking off.

Note that bit about sharing learnings experiences and sim learning.

At some point the insurance companies will realise that human drivers cost them more. There will be that little checkbox on the premium renewal "Do you intend to self drive?". At which point the premium will jump massively, much worse than when we check the box that <25s will drive our cars.

Only a matter of time.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
They angulate at the hips and can counter well.

View attachment 140375

And elsewhere there's a good measure of knee angulation (via rotation, same as us).

Not sure I'm seeing much subtalar action. (Then again, could build in all the lateral knee angulation necessary.)

Be interesting to see how they handled being on skis. The learning algos may take time to get some competency.

Self driving cars are already taking off.

Note that bit about sharing learnings experiences and sim learning.

At some point the insurance companies will realise that human drivers cost them more. There will be that little checkbox on the premium renewal "Do you intend to self drive?". At which point the premium will jump massively, much worse than when we check the box that <25s will drive our cars.

Only a matter of time.
What I see as the biggest hindrance to self driving cars is being able to integrate with those non predictable, not paying attention human drivers. :ogbiggrin:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
What I see as the biggest hindrance to self driving cars is being able to integrate with those non predictable, not paying attention human drivers. :ogbiggrin:

Seem to be doing a pretty good job in Phoenix according to that vid. :cool: Those driverless systems are more vigilant than humans at foreseeing a developing problem and doing something about it.

Also know that insurance companies are thinking how they will get by without their cash cow auto-insurance. Won't go away entirely but it will decrease substantially.

The technology that is more concerning is driver assistance. Those systems can do a great deal of the control but expect a human to instantly take over when some situation exceeds their autonomous capabilities. The human brain is not very good at staying on task unless it is engaged almost all the time. We can do it for short bursts (e.g. teaching another person to drive as there's an ongoing threat to limb and life) but for the long term we're atrocious at it.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January