• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Robots are getting better...

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We can't figure out how to keep the ~8 Billion of us humans on this planet gainfully employed, and busy enough to be productive and happy with no time for mischief--wait till the robots take the last of the physical labor, and AI decision making jobs. What will we be left with? What world are some of us creating for the rest?

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
@Scruffy this is why people have been talking about guaranteed incomes for a while. Crazy concept that it's hard to wrap our heads around, but people being given money by the government will spend the money which will support the economy is the concept. When the robots do all the work we can ski all the time, right?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Scruffy this is why people have been talking about guaranteed incomes for a while. Crazy concept that it's hard to wrap our heads around, but people being given money by the government will spend the money which will support the economy is the concept. When the robots do all the work we can ski all the time, right?

Imagine the lift lines then! Haha. Yeah crazy concept. We'll see.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

sarah-oconnor.jpg

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't see a bit of point to a self-driving car if I can't sit back and read a book. I'd fall asleep. I don't even like interstate driving because it's so boring.

Difference between driver assist - even if it's to the point of almost doing it all - and a true self-driving car. In the latter you can do read s book, take a nap, etc. In the former you can't.

Those cars in Phoenix are true self-drive. The rider is expected to merely ride.

We can't figure out how to keep the ~8 Billion of us humans on this planet gainfully employed, and busy enough to be productive and happy with no time for mischief--wait till the robots take the last of the physical labor, and AI decision making jobs. What will we be left with? What world are some of us creating for the rest?

It's going to change the world the same way automation always does. Since it will provide a competitive cost advantage and a major benefit to many it is going to be very hard to stop.

The real question is how we divide up the spoils from a highly automated society. This has always been well handled in the past.

we can ski all the time, right?

Maybe it's better if we never try them on the skiing thing. Don't want robots doing the skiing for us...

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Difference between driver assist - even if it's to the point of almost doing it all - and a true self-driving car. In the latter you can do read s book, take a nap, etc. In the former you can't.

Those cars in Phoenix are true self-drive. The rider is expected to merely ride.

It's going to change the world the same way automation always does. Since it will provide a competitive cost advantage and a major benefit to many it is going to be very hard to stop.

The real question is how we divide up the spoils from a highly automated society. This has hasn't always been well handled in the past.

Maybe it's better if we never try them on the skiing thing. Don't want robots doing the skiing for us...

fixed it for ya :ogbiggrin:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Just in case you all want to be really creeped out... at least one streaming service not only uses machine learning to present you with content but also to select the thumbnail/clickbait you are most likely to be 'aesthetically' responsive to.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm not ready to agree that AI is always a better driver than a human when both are fully engaged and devoting full attention to the task at hand. I'm 100% on board with the fact that a human will be distracted or fail to devote the full attention needed from time to time where that never happens to the AI sans a power or network failure..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm 100% on board with the fact that a human will be distracted or fail to devote the full attention needed from time to time where that never happens to the AI sans a power or network failure..

:roflmao:"Full attention" doesn't enter into it.

Herself has just spent half a year trying to lower the false positive rate on AI-based pc board evaluation.

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Every once in a while, the weather is nasty enough that it would be tempting to have my ski-robot out there skiing in the white-out while I'm relaxing at the bar in the toasty-warm base lodge.

Robots really should be working, while the rest of us are skiing. Dang, I was really looking forward this year to not having to share any mid-week powder-day chairlift rides with someone who says "I'm **working from home** today".

Those robots don't scare me!
What scares me is the DaVinci robot that I'll be paying big bucks soon to have it perform surgery on me, extremely adjacent to my private parts. I sure hope it's friendly.....

I already know what happens when I run a CNC (computer numerical controlled) milling machine using a program that I've programmed with a decimal point in the wrong place. (There's a really loud noise, and both the tool and part being machined get destroyed). Most programming errors are caught during the "dry run" process, but over-confidence on the part of the programmer can lead to unfortunate consequences.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not ready to agree that AI is always a better driver than a human when both are fully engaged and devoting full attention to the task at hand. I'm 100% on board with the fact that a human will be distracted or fail to devote the full attention needed from time to time where that never happens to the AI sans a power or network failure..
Also most humans don’t know how to drive, so 100% attention does not help. Examples, going the speed limit in the fast lane when it should be used only for passing, those with road rage, those weaving in and out of traffic during rush hour, those that when you use your blinker they purpose speed up to cut you off, merging lanes some don’t understand the rotating concept, goes on and on…

I do think one day, parents will tell their kids, “when I was a kid, we had to drive our own cars”. I think it will be here faster than you think, and probably against the law to drive yourself unless it is an emergency.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also mo…

I do think one day, parents will tell their kids, “when I was a kid, we had to drive our own cars”. I think it will be here faster than you think, and probably against the law to drive yourself unless it is an emergency.
I suspect the only emergency will only be for system errors or remote sensor failures, others will still use self driving but give your vehicle priority over others "green lighting" you at 80mph such as driving to the emergency room.

Sponsor

Staff online