• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

knobby

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm hoping someone can explain why Look has moved from the RockerFlex to the RockeRace bindings. The name RockerFlex implies that it would be for the added ability for the tail of the ski to flex and would be better for lighter skiers potentially but they are no longer making this binding. Did the limited rear support cause prerelease issues? The nub on the RockeRace would presumably cause a stiffer ski and avoid the prerelease issue if that were the case. I am 100% speculating on all of this and I'm looking for any info on the pros and cons as I have a mixture of both sets of bindings to chose from.
rockerace.jpg
rockerflex.jpg

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Due to the plate change. As the R22 plate is a full plate now and not split as in the past. So the binding needed to change to adjust for this (Eg split binding instead of the connector in between.).
As for the heel, was told this was because it tested better (Faster) and gave a more progressive flex/load feel vs. a little more on/off in the past). Nothing to do with release.
For what it’s worth, that plastic bumper/rails under the heel can easily be ground off (I did on my daughter’s SL setup, left her GS as is). No issues doing so. Dremel is your friend here.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looked more closely at your pictures. If you have the R22 plate, you will want to use the RockeRace binding. The old RockerFlex on the R22 plate won’t work as well as the RockerFlex was built for the R20 (pretty sure that was what it was called...maybe R21?) The binding and plate are a combo. So RockerFlex with the connected bar between bindings attached to the R22 plate would not be as designed...would actually stiffen it up further. The RockerRace was redesigned to accommodate this. We find most athletes moved to the new setup without any issues....although in reality we joke it was a good way for Look to force new purchases of bindings.

Gnorris2

Booting up
Skier
I have an related question ... I have both R21 (Rossi SL / GS) and R22 (Dynastar SL) skis. The Rossi's have Rockerflex Axial 3 150's and the Dyna's have the SPX 15 Rockerace. Works well with my nominal 7 DIN setting and modest Senior race ambitions. As spares I have one SPX15 Rockerace and one Axial 150 Rockerflex. Don't care about the Look vs Rossi graphics.

I'm finding that the older Rockerflex 15 (Axial or SPX) are getting harder to find, but I still love my R21 Rossi's. I do have one pair of SPX 12's Rockerflex, but not happy with the toe piece and excessive plastic. What to do if I need more R21 style bindings? The newer Rockerace 2 piece doesn't seem possible with the loss of the center heel-toe coupling and heel screw hole differences. And no, I'm pulling the race plates :).

Sources or options? One pair of my R21 Rossi Hero WC SL 157's are my favorite everyday ski ... need options.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Rockerflex and the rockerace have the same mounting holes., if your Axial 3 has the previous mounting holes i.e.the rear heel screws are much further back, then it is NOT a rocker flex, it is the previous generation MFX/Maxflex/Axial 2. (and which in the 15 Din the older one is much easier to step in to. The SPX Rockerflex/Rockerace is a PITA and always feels like it is broken). And, if it helps, I have yet to see a Rossi 15 binding give up the ghost on a slalom ski before the ski is totally shot. .And there are still plenty of the older binding out there. I have used the R22 plate with both the (connected) Rockerflex and the Rockerace - can't honestly say I noticed any difference And as to the 2 piece plate - the speed skis still come with it......sooo.....do you still use the - non-connected - Rockerace.....??

By the way, I have seen versions of the R21 plate for the old binding (MFX) and also for the new binding (rockerflex) . And the R22 plate also has dimples marked so you can also drill it for the old binding if you wish

Gnorris2

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the info … my Axial 3 150’s are definitely a rockerflex, all were new in the box, so good to know for screw holes. And I assumed the 2 piece rockerace on R21 was a no go, but perhaps not.

meanwhile, I’m now finding more new Rockerflex 150’s online (should have looked before posting), late this winter I couldn’t find any! Reasonable prices as well … go figure.

I have plenty of backup for the SL’s (3 pairs), but a single pair of Rossi Hero WC GS (185 / R27) with the R21 which I really like. Wasn’t sure I should get a second similar pair if I couldn’t get a R21 DIN15 bindings to match.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the info … my Axial 3 150’s are definitely a rockerflex, all were new in the box, so good to know for screw holes. And I assumed the 2 piece rockerace on R21 was a no go, but perhaps not.

meanwhile, I’m now finding more new Rockerflex 150’s online (should have looked before posting), late this winter I couldn’t find any! Reasonable prices as well … go figure.

I have plenty of backup for the SL’s (3 pairs), but a single pair of Rossi Hero WC GS (185 / R27) with the R21 which I really like. Wasn’t sure I should get a second similar pair if I couldn’t get a R21 DIN15 bindings to match.

Yes, the 2 piece rockerace will fit on any plate that takes the rocker flex so you are good to go with that. And you are correct about the Axial 3 being a rockerflex, it was the axial 2 that wes the maxflex. Not sure if you have tried a GS ski with the R22 plate. From my experience the biggest improvement from it was on the GS ski. I have not noticed much difference R21 to R22 on the slalom ski

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid