• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Who makes the best rocket box.

• Thule

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Yakima

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hard for me to vote Yakima vs. Thule because I only recently purchased a used Thule Pulse L on Craigslist.

I'm happy with it so far, installation was super easy and the guy who sold it to me was missing a strap and extra key. Thule makes purchasing spare parts super easy on their website and for reasonable prices. Take that for what it's worth if you're looking used.

I personally was concerned more with getting the perfect size, vs. Thule vs. Yakima. I have a BMW 3-series, so it couldn't be too long, but I also needed to get skis in the 180's in there. The Thule Pulse L fits up to 182cm, so it's not perfect, but most of my friends are around the 180 range in skis. Otherwise anything bigger will have to go through the trunk in a ski bag.

I scoured Craigslist for about 2 months before pulling the trigger. If you have a few weeks, I recommend looking Craigslist. If you want to buy new, buy the best sized box for you.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I just got a INNO box for my Forester. Needed a low profile box mainly to hold 2-3 pairs of skis and other stuff. I measured how much space I had over the subbie on the entrance of the garage and the INNO was the best solution (along with the thule low profile crossbars). I woulve had gotten a taller one if I had more space obviously. But this one looks great and makes no noise while cruising.

It looks really really good and the locking mechanism is really nice and smooth from either side. My 190cm skis fit no problem.

http://usa.innoracks.com/product/wedge-660/

View attachment 34763

Friend has one on his BMW. Looking to put one on my xc70.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Look for front and back latches in addition to hinges and long side latches. Seen a couple folks along side the road at very windy pass where their box apparently blew open and the lid looked wrecked.

This happened to ours in downtown Bend on a windy day. Look like Yakima has a design problem.
Packasports used to be made here in Bend, so there are many of them around. I would prefer something lighter and taller, but might have to go with the old reliable.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
I just went through this recently. Looked at both Yakima and Thule for a ski box (long&skinny). I finally decided on price. It seems that Thule is slightly more expensive generally, but I didn't see any utilitarian difference. Got a 30% discount on Yakima at REI and went that way.

Could you explain the 30% discount. I get lots of mailing from REI but they never seem as eager to lower prices as places like STP?

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
You don't get the end of summer flyer that discounts pretty much everything?

We are members, but if we do, I guess it's not registering. They do have a 25% sale on right now, but typically it's items like overstock shoes and backpacks.

Are you saying that this is specifically where the referenced discount came from?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, haven't been following this. I got the price last summer, first on a flyer, then via email. As Cantunamunch said, I think it was an end-of-season sale.
I didn't do anything special; just followed an ad/flyer.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have never used any kind of rooftop carrier or needed one but someone may be interested in this. Noticed on Spokane craigslist.

https://flyboxxcargo.com/

cartop cargo wood.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I am increasingly frustrated with my low-profile Thule box (I believe Motion XT). I needed something very low to accommodate the ridiculous parking garage at my office. The plastic is so flexible that it is hard to actually open the box. I just put it back on the car last night, and it took me a couple of minutes to lever the top open when it wasn't attached to the rails for support. (You have to open the box to get to the attachment clamps.) I don't know what Thule boxes are usually like, but my old Yakima, while slightly flexible, was much, much easier (and more reassuringly solid) than this one. I got the Thule box so that I could have one key for both the box and the hitch rack. (Then realized it was easier to keep the key in the car than on my keychain - so really, an extra key wouldn't matter.) But here I am. I hope it's not as flimsy as it seems.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I am increasingly frustrated with my low-profile Thule box (I believe Motion XT). I needed something very low to accommodate the ridiculous parking garage at my office. The plastic is so flexible that it is hard to actually open the box. I just put it back on the car last night, and it took me a couple of minutes to lever the top open when it wasn't attached to the rails for support. (You have to open the box to get to the attachment clamps.) I don't know what Thule boxes are usually like, but my old Yakima, while slightly flexible, was much, much easier (and more reassuringly solid) than this one. .

$15 of Frost King duct wrap (foam, not fiberglass), strategically applied, made my Thule box notably stiffer for opening and closure. I thought about going nuts on it and laminating some serious stiffeners, but TCOE is a beast to match- ask anyone with ABS canoes and wooden gunwales - and I'm lazy.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We've had this Thule box for about 15 years. Granted, it acted as a fishing rod holder in the garage for most of its life but seems to work fine. It spent all last winter on my truck and will do so again. Yes, it seems a little flimsy until it's tightened down on the rails and I have to open it from the middle or it is a bit difficult. On the other hand, it's paid for.
20181104_161425.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
$15 of Frost King duct wrap (foam, not fiberglass), strategically applied, made my Thule box notably stiffer for opening and closure. I thought about going nuts on it and laminating some serious stiffeners, but TCOE is a beast to match- ask anyone with ABS canoes and wooden gunwales - and I'm lazy.

Thanks for the tip!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I am increasingly frustrated with my low-profile Thule box (I believe Motion XT). I needed something very low to accommodate the ridiculous parking garage at my office. The plastic is so flexible that it is hard to actually open the box. I just put it back on the car last night, and it took me a couple of minutes to lever the top open when it wasn't attached to the rails for support. (You have to open the box to get to the attachment clamps.) I don't know what Thule boxes are usually like, but my old Yakima, while slightly flexible, was much, much easier (and more reassuringly solid) than this one. I got the Thule box so that I could have one key for both the box and the hitch rack. (Then realized it was easier to keep the key in the car than on my keychain - so really, an extra key wouldn't matter.) But here I am. I hope it's not as flimsy as it seems.

The INNO I have is awesome, its quite sturdy. The mechanism is super smooth from either side and secure.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
The plastic is so flexible that it is hard to actually open the box.

No help, but mine is the same. It’s an older Thule model. Your Motion XT is supposed to be the best from Thule. The top line Yakima (Showcase I think) may be better. Try Inno.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I say it in every one of these threads. Packasport. One of ours is 20 years old {we have three in the family}. It's like new.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I just got the Thule Motion XT XXL so it would fit the girls 212cm DH skis. It interferes a little with the hatch on a CX-5 but I'm working on ideas for that. Love the way it opens from both sides. Don't care about flimsy but I do care about light and 42lbs is enough. It holds up to high speeds when empty and get's even better with skis in it.
CX-5 with box.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The INNO I have is awesome, its quite sturdy. The mechanism is super smooth from either side and secure.

No help, but mine is the same. It’s an older Thule model. Your Motion XT is supposed to be the best from Thule. The top line Yakima (Showcase I think) may be better. Try Inno.

I already paid some exorbitant sum for this thing. I'm not going out and buying another box!

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
The yakima is no better from a stiffness standpoint than a thule and the lock system is much better on the thule. I looked hard at both.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online