• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
TSA Agent: "Hmm... wonder what these zippers do? Guess I'll find out."
sure but they'd only need to unzip one of the two zippers to see what the zippers do, then easy uncomplicated and not time consuming to reverse direction zip up:rolleyes:

I never got the bag back with one of the two or both zippers open and bag extended. Not that it couldn't happen. I haven't read about it. Unlike horror stories all over the net of SportTube yard sales on the pick up carousel:geek:

:facepalm:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This can be a double edged sword. Don't know how other brands' products work, but I know that TSA cannot resist fiddling with the integrated length adjustment / handle feature on my DB. This is a problem because they never put it all back correctly, which means that some of the work I do to stabilize the contents is undone. Note that I have 4" high lettering in two places on the bag directing them to the correct end for opening, away from the length adjuster, but they ignore it habitually.
Agree on the db, I started zipping to the side instead of stowing the zippers under the bottom velcro flap, and taped on a white note with big lettering and arrow pointing at zipper to "Open with zipper" there. Yet they still fiddled with the clips.

I also put on a small carabiner on the handle; and one time the bag still came out out of luggage hanging on just by that backup system. If that goes missing you are f'-ed.

With the DB, I started using towels around my skis as extra protection, as it can't be trusted to stay snugged up through airtravel (and because as I gripped about before, no internal tiedowns!)

in general though, the other bags I've seen that adjust down use with velcro or zips. And the main opening is more obvious to TSA; (without the very tempting clips on top) so it doesn't get messed with.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Unlike horror stories all over the net of SportTube yard sales on the pick up carousel:geek:
I have had that happen. I was rolling the case behind me and made it the whole way from baggage claim at Dulles, outside to the sidewalk, and part way down the sidewalk (probably a couple hundred yards total) before there was a loud thunk, and the weight I was dragging suddenly changed. They hadn't put the clip back right, and the Sportube wasn't actually clipped closed, so the top came off and my skis clunked down. No worse for wear though thankfully.

Every other time (in many trips) they haven't had a problem closing the case though. Just once.

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
Agree on the db, I started zipping to the side instead of stowing the zippers under the bottom velcro flap, and taped on a white note with big lettering and arrow pointing at zipper to "Open with zipper" there. Yet they still fiddled with the clips.

I also put on a small carabiner on the handle; and one time the bag still came out out of luggage hanging on just by that backup system. If that goes missing you are f'-ed.

With the DB, I started using towels around my skis as extra protection, as it can't be trusted to stay snugged up through airtravel (and because as I gripped about before, no internal tiedowns!)

in general though, the other bags I've seen that adjust down use with velcro or zips. And the main opening is more obvious to TSA; (without the very tempting clips on top) so it doesn't get messed with.
haven't had an issue with the DB yet but the carabiner seems like a good idea/safety thing.
Is a carabiner long enough or do you have it on a chain or something?

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Can you fit a helmet in the DB snow roller light?

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
from what i can see it measures only 14cm high (and 27cm wide).
I guess you could squeeze in a helmet but it would bulge the bag and probably not the best (unless if you have helmet that is shaped so that it is about 14cm high (which seems very low to me)

although on a shop, the following image shows a helmet inside.
Not sure if it is an image of that exact DB model or another bag and doesnt show what kind of helmet it is ...

1678359392625.png

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
This can be a double edged sword. Don't know how other brands' products work, but I know that TSA cannot resist fiddling with the integrated length adjustment / handle feature on my DB. This is a problem because they never put it all back correctly, which means that some of the work I do to stabilize the contents is undone. Note that I have 4" high lettering in two places on the bag directing them to the correct end for opening, away from the length adjuster, but they ignore it habitually.
They just want to see what you're smuggling in those folds.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I‘m convinced they do this stuff on purpose to screw with the passengers. Keeps things entertaining for them.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From this thread my takeaway is never buy a DoucheBag. If they've designed something so complicated that it requires special notes to be written to TSA then it has failed its primary design brief..
I got one this year and they opened properly from the bottom for my trip. I prefer the DB to my previous bag because it’s easier to get the skis in and out of the bag.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
haven't had an issue with the DB yet but the carabiner seems like a good idea/safety thing.
Is a carabiner long enough or do you have it on a chain or something?
It's just like one of the small inexpensive convenience clip type ones from the checkout aisle at rei (not a climbing carabiner). I just clipped through one of the loops near the handleclip to one of the loops of the bag so it can't get fully detached without effort.

Last edited:

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was originally a fan of the DB ski bag, and traveled with it for several years But American Arlines managed to drop my bag on a sharp 90 degree edge, probably a steel table side, exactly between two of the “ribs” meant to protect the skis. It caved in the sidewall of one ski, a wound that was beyond repair. I think the “ribs” were a pretty good idea, and certainly save some weight. But the execution failed a real world trial, for me at least. My DB’s current role is to constrain two pairs of skis in the car so they don’t wander about the interior in a panic stop. I bought another bag to fly with, though Covid has made it such that I won’t be flying anywhere in the foreseeable future.

James

Out There
Instructor
I’ve had the Sync double roller bag for some time. It survived max loading, (I may have even brought two pair of poles) and throwing on multiple trains, Amtrak, Swiss, and French trains. Not sure how I survived that, but the bag was fine. You’ve got to move fast, throwing luggage around. Also, it’s freakin heavy on the handle, when your rolling it down the street. Or the sidewalk in Paris and Geneva plus some towns.
The last few years I have not taken skis.

Last domestic trip I took three pair, but one pair plus one ski had no bindings.

It’s adjustable length. Never had TSA mess with that part, and they open it every time.
The only thing that's broken is one of the plastic clips inside for the ski tie down. It’s annoying in that it is way at the bottom, and sewn in, so not easily replaced.

I think ski tie downs are important. You can’t pack that many clothes and stay under weight. I also had the airlines melt through a bag, ruin a ski binding and melt the synthetic clothes nearby.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This one is new to me, but it's on the heavy side:

Dakine

FALL LINE SKI ROLLER HARDSIDE BAG​

• 100% recycled ABS + PC Shell
  • 190cm - 77 x 14.5 x 6.5" [196 x 37 x 16.5cm ]
  • Fits max. 190cm ski.
  • 18.7lbs [8.5kg]
Regular price$380.00

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After coming back from the Utah gathering I'm revisiting the roller bag threads.

I fly across the continent to ski 2-3 times a year. Because of my location in Maine I almost always have a connection.

I'm currently using a Db double bag that was new for the 2016 season. Therefore it's had 15 - 20 airline round trips. (I only use it for flying.) Usually it has two pairs of skis in it. After the most recent flight it's got a new slice in it about 3" long. In general it's showing multiple signs of significant (not just cosmetic) wear and tear.

Before talking about other bags, I have a simple question: Do others who habitually travel with two pairs of skis have bags that have survived this amount of use without significant damage?
Check out @Stephen's review of the Kulkea double roller bag.
He seems to have good luck with it and for the coming season, they're coming out with a single roller bag.
They already have a single bag but a single roller is going to be clutch for some travelers.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Might as well integrate some crossbar clamps and call it a demountable roof box.

right, they have an app for that:

"When it's time to load up the car, the Fall Line can even be fastened to your rooftop crossbars with its clever tie-down pass-through points."

Check out @Stephen's review of the Kulkea double roller bag.
He seems to have good luck with it and for the coming season, they're coming out with a single roller bag.
They already have a single bag but a single roller is going to be clutch for some travelers.

Yes to the single bag with rollers ... unless the ski bag is needed to do double duty as a suitcase due to unreasonable luggage fees.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a DB Snow Roller. I like it quite a bit for two pairs of skis, poles, and avy gear. I pack everything else in my Kulkea boot bag to carry on. Helmet typically gets put in the ski bag only on the way home. While the top has come unrolled a few times during travel, it hasn't caused any issues. I haven't had it unzip, either.

Today, however, I just received one of the Snow Roller Light versions. It's narrow but deep. It's definitely lighter than the full-size version, which is actually the reason I bought it. My plan is to mount all of my skis with Binding Freedom inserts (I have done a few in the past) so that I can easily travel with 3 pairs of skis and one (or two even) pairs of bindings while staying under that 50 lb limit. I think I can make it work.

United lets me go overweight free of charge, but I don't like seeing that "Overweight" tag on the bag. For me that means there's a chance it's getting left off the plane.

dlit

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have a DB Snow Roller. I like it quite a bit for two pairs of skis, poles, and avy gear. I pack everything else in my Kulkea boot bag to carry on. Helmet typically gets put in the ski bag only on the way home. While the top has come unrolled a few times during travel, it hasn't caused any issues. I haven't had it unzip, either.

Today, however, I just received one of the Snow Roller Light versions. It's narrow but deep. It's definitely lighter than the full-size version, which is actually the reason I bought it. My plan is to mount all of my skis with Binding Freedom inserts (I have done a few in the past) so that I can easily travel with 3 pairs of skis and one (or two even) pairs of bindings while staying under that 50 lb limit. I think I can make it work.

United lets me go overweight free of charge, but I don't like seeing that "Overweight" tag on the bag. For me that means there's a chance it's getting left off the plane.

Were you able to pack out the Snow Roller Light version and see if it still provides enough protection while holding all your gear?
Does it fit skis with boots and some extras or is that too ambitious and would require the original larger version?
If possible, it'd be great if you could take some photos of it packed out.

Sponsor

Staff online