• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
A bit more feedback. Please consider offering a shorter length in the future, like 175-180cm. I understand that when you only have one model you need to be able to accommodate the largest number of people, so having a 195-205cm bag covers that. As someone whos longest skis are 173cm your bag is just too long, which is too bad because it looks fantastic otherwise. I'd rather give my money to a forum sponsor and a MA business but in this case I'm going to pick up a competitor with a 175cm bag option.

Completely understand and certainly something we'll consider in the future. The success of our double roller will determine how far down that road we go; however there isn't huge demand for double rollers to begin with(present company excluded!).

We certainly appreciate the local support too! Also, support your local shred shop!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Completely understand and certainly something we'll consider in the future. The success of our double roller will determine how far down that road we go; however there isn't huge demand for double rollers to begin with(present company excluded!).

We certainly appreciate the local support too! Also, support your local shred shop!

I wonder if you could somehow integrate the ability to shorten a bag with the ability to store more compactly? Might be able to get both requests with one feature and not have to do multiple models of bag. BTW - I wandered into my local ski shop in Lafayette Colorado one evening last year and found a Kulkea rep there. We got to talking and figured out my dad had coached him many years ago. Such a small world.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
I wonder if you could somehow integrate the ability to shorten a bag with the ability to store more compactly? Might be able to get both requests with one feature and not have to do multiple models of bag. BTW - I wandered into my local ski shop in Lafayette Colorado one evening last year and found a Kulkea rep there. We got to talking and figured out my dad had coached him many years ago. Such a small world.

Well, we have the expanding down, perhaps we can contract next. Noted!

Must've been Rick! Great guy. I believe his son is racing for CU!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@KULKEA how about a hybird Hardshell/Softshell ski bag?

I'm thinking "armour" sides of Polycarbonate sandwiched between a high Denier ballistic nylon exterior and full foam padding/inner side (liner) of a durable nylon fabric.
Or possibly a Polycarbonate "hardside suitcase" type structure with a durable and thick zipper closure/hinge and a foam padded inside with ski hold down straps allowing skis to be oreinted base to base as with current softside bags.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
In the market for a new double roller bag. Looking at Db, Kulkea and Dakine. Anything new this year I should be aware of? Longest ski is a 180 and I don't like floppy bags.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I love my Rossignol Superhaul. Very solid, but not a sportstube. Good mounting setup inside for 2 pairs of skis.

Here's a link to a similar one, mine is a bit older.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Take a look at Google reviews and info on the DB double ski bag. Won numerous awards. I've had mine for three years. Numerous flights, no problems; very light, but very strong, doesn't sag when being pulled. Highly recommended.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I'm a big fan of Dakine. I've had my bag for 10 years and it's been on numberous flights. Excellent wheels and very well made.

pjs32000

Booting up
Skier
Are there any quality wheeled bags for a single pair of skis? I'd love something with a little bit of extra room for some clothes, padding/protection for skis. Most of the wheeled bags I see are for 2 pair except for the douchebags slim jim, but that looks like it has very minimal, if any padding.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems to me a double bag would have lots of extra room for clothes, if it only has one pair of skis.

Or use this as an excuse to acquire another pair of skis.

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Do not get this bag for two ski application:

No divider, only one strap inside to secure both skis.and worst of all: not enough space to lay skis on edges side by side . Bindings bulge out from the sides. If skis are laying on the bindings, the bindings bulge out on the top of the bag. Returned it the same day it arrived. for a single ski, there is plenty of room which may be a problem if you are not packing anything around them. ymmv

DF793C96-9E0E-4516-91C5-DDA6D9533044.jpeg

519A81B8-1E60-4619-A4C8-B34824F91161.jpeg

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

No divider, only one strap inside to secure both skis.and worst of all: not enough space to lay skis on edges side by side . Bindings bulge out from the sides. If skis are laying on the bindings, the bindings bulge out on the top of the bag. Returned it the same day it arrived. for a single ski, there is plenty of room which may be a problem if you are not packing anything around them. ymmv
However the same problem though exists with the db, with No straps and No divider; but which somehow people like the bag. This puzzles me too.

They say you need to pull up the brakes, then use 1 pair of skis; bases out for the sides and 2nd pair flat in the middle, then use your boots and/or clothes as stuffing to fill the void and keep everything from moving around.

I personally have a Db and used for about 3flights, and also do not like this layout and approach either. I haven't found an non frustrating way to do it with my gear.
I have demo bindings and can slide them off; so I'm trying some alternate configurations and involving beachtowels; but it's still really a big hassle to get things stable and not bashing into each other and damaging edges and skis. If you're making a lot of flight hops way too much trouble to packup. OK if you're just going to do 1 flight in and 1 flight out and staying for awhile.
Perhaps it's meant only for big mountain skiers who only have banged up skis that do first descents down couloirs filled with rocks.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are there any quality wheeled bags for a single pair of skis? I'd love something with a little bit of extra room for some clothes, padding/protection for skis. Most of the wheeled bags I see are for 2 pair except for the douchebags slim jim, but that looks like it has very minimal, if any padding.

I think the answer to this question, is just hit the gym and work on your upper body or do some hiking with a backpack. Get a good single skibag with good handle straps and shoulder carry strap. You can use handle straps over the shoulder for a tight carry, or the messanger strap for a loose carry. You could also attempt to just balance it on top of your roller luggage, it shouldn't be so heavy that it will not balance.

pjs32000

Booting up
Skier
Seems to me a double bag would have lots of extra room for clothes, if it only has one pair of skis.

Or use this as an excuse to acquire another pair of skis.
After mulling things over I think that's the direction I'm now leaning since getting one with room for other gear would mean traveling with only a checked ski bag and carry ons. Getting a second pair of skis is highly unlikely for the limited number of days I get annually. It seems that there aren't too many quality bag options out there and they all seem to have some drawbacks. For doubles, these are some that I've looked at so far for a 180cm ski.

Dakine Fall Line - No internal straps, no external compression straps, reports of sagging
Dakine Boundary - No internal straps, reports of sagging
Kulkea Kantanja - Heavy, oversized at 195cm
Thule Round Trip - Expensive
Douchebag Snow Roller - Limited padding, durability concerns, TSA may struggle to seal back up
Evoc Snow Gear Roller - Limited availability and info out there but could be a winner

pjs32000

Booting up
Skier

View attachment 96431
View attachment 96432
What bag is that?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m pretty happy with my Transpack.

or single ski bag (not roller bag)

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
TransPack Ski Vault is a nice bag, I couldn't be happier with mine, TY Pugski! :)

Don't get a bag without internal straps.

James

Out There
Instructor
TransPack Ski Vault is a nice bag, I couldn't be happier with mine, TY Pugski! :)

Don't get a bag without internal straps.
I used to use a single? Bag I could fit two pair in. No straps internal, just external. In many ways I preferred it to my double ski roller bag, but it maxed at 180 something. Plus, the airline ruined it.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Dakine Fall Line - No internal straps, no external compression straps, reports of sagging
I thought the lack of internal straps was going to be a problem when I first got mine, but it hasn't been. I haven't noticed sagging problems either, but I have fairly long skis. The wheels are good. I like the u-shaped zipper opening (as opposed to straight on my previous bag).
I didn't shop around -- I needed one, REI had one in stock, and it fit my skis.
I like having handles on top, bottom, and sides.
20190303_115427.jpg

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had that same Dakine bag. First trip the skis moved quite a bit from check-in at the airport to arrival at the resort. Same on the return plus my look pivot heel piece which I packed oriented facing the sides of the bag was now facing the top of the bag due to the skis rotating a 1/4 turn and they punched multiple holes in the bag! Sets of perforations clear thru in the size and spacing of the heel-cup part that clamps onto the boot protruding DIN thing. And no the Look Pivot's dildo (lack of a better word) did not pop up as it would if clicked in. I returned the bag to REI.
No such trouble with the Ski Vault 2x roller, so far the thing is bomber, it is on the heavy side but also made of a Nylon which is a stronger textile and less prone to tear than a Polyester bag like the Dakine.
@coskigirl didn't make out as well with her Ski Vault, IIRC it was kidnaped and held hostage by Sandinista freedon fighters, tied witth a rope to the axel of a 4X4 and draged around town as a message to the opposition, or something like that.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online