• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One year when I got home I made a list of the things I took with me and never used. It didn't help.

Yeah. You didn't use it on THAT trip but maybe you will the next trip. In the bag it goes! ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
Did you check the shopping cart? Or carry it on the plane with you?
Every system has flaws. That one wouldn’t fit into the car, so got left in the garage. The car served as the bag. Worked well.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Anyone tried the evo branded roller?
https://www.evo.com/ski-bags/evo-de...186385/983049/evo-deluxe-snow-roller-bag-.jpg

Im looking at that bag, the thule roundtrip and the Kulkea.

I need to fit 2 pairs of skis193x106 waist current max(doubt I would ever go longer). Im not concerned about weight. I want something I can lash down to a flatbed truck or toss into a pickup bed and keep my skis cozy. DURABILITY is critical, Id rather buy once so Im not terribly concerned about the price difference in the bags.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My buddy bought the deluxe and returned it for the regular one. The deluxe was very heavy and caused issues with overweight charges. He loves the regular one. It is well built. I didn’t see the deluxe one but it sounds like it would fit your bill if not flying.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks really well designed. I like the EVA reinforced ends to protect tips and tails. If you go for it, please report back.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if you can, I recommend going with a bag made of 1680 denier ballistic nylon and not one made of rip stop polyester

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
such as??
Transpack Pro Series Ski Vault Double
$270
Length: Fits skis up to 195 cm | Volume: 2 pairs of skis | Cushioning:Memory foam padding | Carry system: Wheels, top and front handles
Loaded with features and smart details, the Ski Vault Double is an ideal choice for skiers traveling with two pairs of sticks who want to stash all their gear in one place. Kristen Lummis, founder of the blog Brave Ski Mom, has been using the Double Vault for years. “It’s really substantial, with heavy-duty fabric and room to carry a lot of stuff,” Lummis says. “It has just enough pockets to keep my gear organized, and I can pack my boots and helmet in there too.”
External compression straps keep the load tight, while padded handles and low-profile wheels make toting the bag through the airport a breeze. As for protection, the entire bag is made from 1680 ballistic nylon with a thick memory-foam-padded liner, while the bottom of the bag has a water-resistant tarp exterior with plastic runners. Another one of Lummis’ favorite details: the adjustable length. The tip of the bag can be unzipped to add 30 cm. of extra space if you need it.
$270 AT MOOSEJAW

TheWombat

Putting on skis
Skier
Back in May 2022 we booked a ski trip to Mount Hood and had our two kids signed up for slalom race camp. This was our first plane travel with skis and the availability of ski bags/carriers was pretty limited. I ended up getting two Series 2 Sportube Ski Cases. In hindsight I would say it was a mistake, as on that first trip the plastic case got badly dented at the end, and it was a pain to push the dent out as the tube is too long to reach in to the end. They are also more fiddly to use compared to the softer style bags and not so easy to pack other items in with the skids. They did their job in protecting the skis which was part of my thinking of going for the harder style case, but they are far less practical overall.

I'll probably replace them with the softer style bags that are being discussed on this thread, but thought I would share my experience with the Sportube Ski Cases.

Sporttube Series 2.jpg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I’ve been a bog fan of Thule bags, mainly through professional involvement with them.

That being said, all bags are made from a very narrow range of materials, and come out of a handful of factories. Thule rules the market due to their proprietary wheel kit, but that dynamic has rolled on.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
https://www.evo.com/ski-bags/evo-de...186385/983049/evo-deluxe-snow-roller-bag-.jpg

I need to fit 2 pairs of skis193x106 waist current max(doubt I would ever go longer). Im not concerned about weight. I want something I can lash down to a flatbed truck or toss into a pickup bed and keep my skis cozy.

I really like my Glissade bags. Maybe not quite burly enough for you, but check them out next time you swing by. Handmade by some dude in his MN basement.

DURABILITY is critical, Id rather buy once so Im not terribly concerned about the price difference in the bags.

Buy nice, or buy twice!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Back in May 2022 we booked a ski trip to Mount Hood and had our two kids signed up for slalom race camp. This was our first plane travel with skis and the availability of ski bags/carriers was pretty limited. I ended up getting two Series 2 Sportube Ski Cases. In hindsight I would say it was a mistake, as on that first trip the plastic case got badly dented at the end, and it was a pain to push the dent out as the tube is too long to reach in to the end. They are also more fiddly to use compared to the softer style bags and not so easy to pack other items in with the skids. They did their job in protecting the skis which was part of my thinking of going for the harder style case, but they are far less practical overall.

I'll probably replace them with the softer style bags that are being discussed on this thread, but thought I would share my experience with the Sportube Ski Cases.

View attachment 189154
:geek: That tube is pretty solid. It kind of makes me wonder if your skis would have survived the abuse if they had been in a soft bag.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I need to fit 2 pairs of skis193x106 waist current max(doubt I would ever go longer). Im not concerned about weight. I want something I can lash down to a flatbed truck or toss into a pickup bed and keep my skis cozy. DURABILITY is critical, Id rather buy once so Im not terribly concerned about the price difference in the bags.
I’ve had the kulkea double roller for a few years. Haven’t flown with it yet but it has lived in the back of my pickup and hasn’t been babied. It has held up great.

Teumie

Putting on skis
Skier
I just got back from my first ski-flight with using the DB roller bag.
Really happy with it.

People in the know: do you put the tips at the bottom or the tails?
I've put the tails at the bottom (where the wheels are) but think it might be better the other way around?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really happy with it.

I've put the tails at the bottom (where the wheels are) but think it might be better the other way around?

If your ski are traditionally mounted, means distance from tails to bindings is much smaller than the distance between the bindings and the tips, putting the tails down-at the wheels will make the thing lighter to pick by the handle and easier to drag around as the COM will be lower.

James

Out There
Instructor
I’ve got a Sync double with wheels. I think it goes to 195 or 8. At the time I needed 192. Plenty of lashing points. Pretty well made, except the strap to lock the skis down inside, the plastic receiver clip broke.

Thing is, these bags are heavy. I want to say the bag weighs 12 lbs. Maybe this whole class of bags is heavy. But I’ve lugged it on trains and at airports.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I’ve used and owned many travel bags. The one bag to rule them all is this:

Dakine Concourse Double. I’ve patched, sewn it up. It’s been dragged, droppped, strapped to roofs, whatever. The design is great - hold a bunch. We both have some status on AA so no big deal if it’s a pound or so over 50. Internal straps and pad are great. Usually right @ 50 with 2 pairs, poles, a puffy, ski pants and boot dryer.

Also own Thule single and double roller <- very nice, but not quite Dakine level. Just got a Rossignol Hero 2/3 roller and while very nice, is built for 2/3 pairs of RACING skis ie. removable plate bindings based on the internal strap config. Worked out a solution but the Dakine is still #1.

Looks like it isnt in current offerings, but still available via Amazon.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Really happy with it.

TL. DNR version:
Tony S is right you want more weight at the wheels.
But since the bindings will collide, my tip is: you go 1 pair up, 1 pair down so the bindings interleave.

Long version:
Now I also have db double, and the db packing is really another conundrum vs a typical double ski bag. The db is not so straightforward since it doesn't have tiedowns; so Db suggests the packing method is to separate your skis and rubber band the brakes and have bases out on the bottom and sides of the Db. (If you can remove bindings even more methods).
https://us.dbjourney.com/products/the-snowroller See image 8.

Even experimenting with a few ways, and optimized my system, my opinion on the db ski packing is it is is not great. Mainly due to the lack of tiedowns and so much hassle of needing to pull the brakes and then needing extra padding for my skis. To keep things in place and not have the skis smash each other, then they expect you to fill the void with the rest of your gear. The problem is it is not possible to do that for regular flights without going over weight limits and incurring massive baggage fees, so I'm literally needing to take bubble wrap, towels, and empty cardboard boxes on my trips.
I think they must assume their users just are packing detuned freeride or ultralight touring skis and don't care, vs people who are taking tuned skis with sharp edges for resort.
If anyone has a best hassle-free way to actually pack a db double with 2 nice sharp skis securely AND edges protected AND under 50lbs; I'd really like to see a pic of your db packing method.

Anyway for @Teumie, because the db has so many ways to go wrong, a picture is worth a 1000 words so post a picture of how YOU are currently packing your db, then we can point out any possible ideas for improvement.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online