• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I have to be honest in that I've never been a fan of heel braking. I've only been on inline skates 2x before this YEARS ago and didn't like it then, don't like it now. Perhaps Inline skating isn't for me. I come from a roller skating background and braking in the front always seemed more logical to me. Back in the day we'd make sneakers into roller skates; put trucks on them with skate board wheels and would just have a blast. Do people still do that? I'm totally dating myself here. I'm way younger than my years..... I'm 25 really.......

Why, no, no we don't do that anymore, we now have these metal frames with a clamp at the front that clamps your shoe, then you take a little key and you tighten the clamps around your shoe...metal wheels are so durable, don'tcha know?

I've seen quad skaters try to brake on Wisconsin or Massachusetts avenue - it's actually pretty funny to those with heel brakes :D

OK, not that funny when I'm sweep and I have to hold onto their waistband and tear up my wheels.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
snowsurfgirl:

cantunamunch
knows his stuff.

Learn to heel brake. That's what parking lots or smooth sidewalks are for. And you will love how effective it is. And yes forget ABT. Fixed heel brake is the only way to go.

And the Rollerblade Macro Equipe (EQ) was/is not a "cast." It was a ski boot on wheels.

Pavement Bites, Wear Gear...

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
snowsurfgirl:

cantunamunch
knows his stuff.

Learn to heel brake. That's what parking lots or smooth sidewalks are for. And you will love how effective it is. And yes forget ABT. Fixed heel brake is the only way to go.

And the Rollerblade Macro Equipe (EQ) was/is not a "cast." It was a ski boot on wheels.

Pavement Bites, Wear Gear...

Yeah cantunamunch has sent me a few emails. I now have virtual lessons for when I brave to go out there again. I don't understand how heel brakes are stronger because my foot is much more powerful if I'm pressing down on a toe versus tipping back. However, I've only been skating 3x in my life so I'm sure I'll be saying "you're right" one day.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
. I don't understand how heel brakes are stronger because my foot is much more powerful if I'm pressing down on a toe versus tipping back. .

The heel brake takes muscle power and tendons completely out of the equation, you're just sitting with your body weight levered (through plastic, not tendons) onto the brake pad. I put the instructions on heel brake use somewhere on here, I think in response to @hollyberry 's Central Park episode?*

Further, the toe brake is severely disadvantaged on downhills. Think about where, in order to be actuated, the toe brake has to be in relation to the hips. Under, or behind, right? On a downhill, toe-braking is going to be even further behind your hips, and you will have less mechanical advantage the harder you push.

A (properly used) heel brake is always in front of your hips, which means you can stack your CoM directly onto the ground reaction force. Especially on downhills.

EDIT: If you don't get on with the heel brake, T-stopping is much similar (but more expensive, yowch!) to toe braking on quads.

*EDIT2: Here is the post, same instructions still work. https://www.pugski.com/threads/rollerblading.7137/page-4#post-243657

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
surfsnowgirl Relax. Learn slow. Do it with friends. Rollerblading is about fun. And, in comparison, as the Human Giant says, "Braking is hard, turning is hard, but definitely the hardest part of rollerblading is":

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f58e763460/human-giant-rollerblading-from-human-giant

:roflmao:when I watched the video......................

I know patience grasshopper...... I need to work on my patience.

Friends, well aside from a couple people here, that's going to have to wait until I live elsewhere. My main crew of friends is in Southern California. I do have a few sisters though so I think it'll be fun to arrange a sisters inline skating night.

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
neonorchild Yes, that's it! Only outdoors for 12 miles on Friday night in San Francisco with a pint first, like this:

David Miles will encourage you surfsnowgirl. Find a group.

4 wheel skates were particularly helpful for crack the whip with 175 skaters in the Palace of Fine Arts.
Ah, the good 'ole days, I didn't skate back then but heard a lot about it.

Btw, You would like the Philly Landskaters. I'm sure you'll find a few of them still on that skate of yours.

James

Out There
Instructor
I don't understand how heel brakes are stronger because my foot is much more powerful if I'm pressing down on a toe versus tipping back.
Yeah not even close. Kind of like power in a hockey stop on skis compared to a wedge. Unless one is under like 10yrs old.

Here's a basic start. Since you've done roller skates maybe you're comfortable putting the brake in front of the toe. To start out don't worry about it.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Yeah not even close. Kind of like power in a hockey stop on skis compared to a wedge. Unless one is under like 10yrs old.

Here's a basic start. Since you've done roller skates maybe you're comfortable putting the brake in front of the toe. To start out don't worry about it.

Great video. Surprise I've been stopping incorrectly with the heel break, put the leg forward, ah hah........................... I love the guy in the middle at 49 seconds in that turns around and stops backwards with his leg extended outwards.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have extremely strong prejudices against those designs. The cuff band isn't stiff enough or even in the right place for proper edging support so you have to work on lateral ankle strengthening anyway. Further, chances are the cuff angle is wrong and there's chafe at the top cuff edge. Then if one tries to pad the chafe out one has an even chance of cutting off the blood vessels at the back of the ankle. I don't think RB has nailed the design, ever, I don't think K2 has, ever, and Salomon is gone. I've never tried one from Powerslide because I actually like Powerslide :D
@cantunamunch I think you missed something there, look again, that upper skeleton cuff is removable leaving something which looks like a Powerslide R2. Interesting take on a crossover skate. Which by the way the Ppowerslide R2 is too with it's incredibly thick padding and higher for a race skate cuff, unlike the friggen 2º fore aft range of motion R4 dissaster or the old Mogema Python. The Mogema Cross Trainer if you remember that one was dreck too. The old Miller Racing "Miller Sport" was legit. Never tried the very high cuff Miller Fittness Pro. I'd love to see a updated modern cuff heel pocket carbon layup MillerSport skate.
As far as I know, Powerslide is the only other brand to produce a cross-over design with removable cuff only it never sold here due to it's BOA closure. Actually none of the Powerslide BOA skates are sold here because K2 owns BOA and...

Btw, the serious speed skaters around here love those "cow-catcher" Mogema dual box frames which are now Cado-Motus. Just about all use Marchese boots and Cado Dual Box frames both indoors and outdoors. The extra stiff option is for indoors. I regret selling my 4 x 110 Cado dual box lV frame when I thought I'd go to 3 x 125 and never look back.

...Megacruiser, we've a guy who gets new skates every year, drives around with a quiver, he's on his third pair of them! He is a guy who used to push a 5 x 90mm Mogema set-up! Big guy, strong skater, a soccer player who came to Philly tfrom Germany to attend U-Penn and never left.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Umm... not entirely sold...I think RB would be better off doing their own version of a C8.

anyway...I really should be off to do summer now. Laters, all.

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Umm... not entirely sold...I think RB would be better off doing their own version of a C8.

anyway...I really should be off to do summer now. Laters, all.
never saw or skated C-8. Looks like an up-market R-4 with just as little fore-aft range of motion forcing you into too much of an upright stance, and lets face it, going for speed, you gotta bend those knees deeper then that and hold a tuck for a powerful push.

...Summer, yeah, great weather yesterday and today. Been resting up after yesterdays trail run. Should go do an after dinner hike now ... Later Skater;)

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
Can you recommend a pair for me to buy.
-

Nope, fit is paramount.
https://www.powerslide.com/Powerslide-HC-Evo-Pro-Trinity-Boot-only

How to find your correct skate size

FindYourSkateSize_Powerslide.jpg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Anything you can do to work balance will pay off for skiing. Many of the best athletes never dive into specialization until an elite level. I spend most summer evenings, when I am not in the backcountry, sessioning on the slackline and balance board. My wife and I find that it is great post dinner fun, and allows us to hang out / play with Jester (pictured below).

Next week I should have an article hit. It will be the first of 6 - 7 on dry land ski training. I am collaborating with Troy Taylor, a PhD level physical therapist who is also a PSIA L3, and my wife who is a professional trainer.

Rollerblading is definitely good. However it may not really reach the specificity of what you really need to do. Just as for me right now, traipsing around above timberline is great general balance training when on scree. It definitely helps with balance, but it doesn't address the things that I really need to be working on to improve my skiing, which is range of motion.

DSC-0132.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Rollerblading is definitely good. However it may not really reach the specificity of what you really need to do.

As @neonorchid and I were talking above, inline skating has the further problem, namely: "Most people don't have the ambition to improve beyond simple cruising" and "This is what I see on the Multi Use Path, why do I need to improve?"

Which is sad, because inline is fantastically complementary to skiing, without any special terrain (no slalom cones no nothing). At Stride II and Stride III levels, every skate stride moving forward is a ski turn, including long/leg short leg, including CoM falling "foragonally", including dynamic balance on an engaged edge.

Heck, find a garage column and chalk a 20 foot circle around it - skate that circle at 15mph and there's your angulation practice sorted.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
As @neonorchid and I were talking above, inline skating has the further problem, namely: "Most people don't have the ambition to improve beyond simple cruising" and "This is what I see on the Multi Use Path, why do I need to improve?"

Which is sad, because inline is fantastically complementary to skiing, without any special terrain (no slalom cones no nothing). At Stride II and Stride III levels, every skate stride moving forward is a ski turn, including long/leg short leg, including CoM falling "foragonally", including dynamic balance on an engaged edge.

Heck, find a garage column and chalk a 20 foot circle around it - skate that circle at 15mph and there's your angulation practice sorted.

Totally.

Sponsor