• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ron LeMaster dies in on slope collision 1949-2021

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why is Angel Fire Ski and Snowboard School quoted in that article?
He worked with AngelFire doing clinics on MA.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
A big loss for our sport. He did things that permanently changed technical analysis in skiing.
Collision with a snowboarder.
Terrible news.

Edit to add additional news report
I didn’t know him but this is terrible news.

Condolences to family and friends.

Godspeed Ron.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
RIP, Ron.

Such terrible loss.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So sad. Condolences to his family.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
You never ever know what awaits you. Sad, terrible, and tragic. We read everyday about police officers, fire fighters, first responders dying in their line of work. It doesn’t make their loss of life less tragic, but to lose your life on a ski slope is so sad and shocking.
You have to live your life, but learning about something like this almost makes you think about leaving the house.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
A sad day for everyone who appreciated the rigor that LeMaster embodied when analyzing technique.
Peace to his friends and family.
I expect we are all concerned about what the accident analysis will show.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
You never ever know what awaits you. Sad, terrible, and tragic. We read everyday about police officers, fire fighters, first responders dying in their line of work. It doesn’t make their loss of life less tragic, but to lose your life on a ski slope is so sad and shocking.
You have to live your life, but learning about something like this almost makes you think about leaving the house.

It is important to note, that as a workplace, ski areas are in the top few most dangerous workplace environments in the US. This is even called out by SAM. More dangerous than law enforcement or firefighting.

I had the pleasure of interacting with Ron on a number of occasions. It will be interesting to see what comes out of thevinvestigation, because right now, having been a ski area employee in CO, it sickens me.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It will be interesting to see what comes out of the investigation, because right now, having been a ski area employee in CO, it sickens me.
As noted, I'm sure all of us want to know "what happened?" but for now, and out of respect to his family, I'm counting on the SkiTalk community to avoid jumping to conclusions and/or speculating. The one thing we know is that the other party stayed on scene, is being treated for injuries and is cooperating.

I know that is not your intentions, but I wanted to put it out there before someone goes in that direction.

Thank you.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
As noted, I'm sure all of us want to know "what happened?" but for now, and out of respect to his family, I'm counting on the SkiTalk community to avoid jumping to conclusions and/or speculating. The one thing we know is that the other party stayed on scene, is being treated for injuries and is cooperating.

I know that is not your intentions, but I wanted to put it out there before someone goes in that direction.

Thank you.

I totally respect that and take your comment as a friendly reminder. Thanks so much.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
It is important to note, that as a workplace, ski areas are in the top few most dangerous workplace environments in the US. This is even called out by SAM. More dangerous than law enforcement or firefighting.

I had the pleasure of interacting with Ron on a number of occasions. It will be interesting to see what comes out of thevinvestigation, because right now, having been a ski area employee in CO, it sickens me.
I mentioned before my wife got mowed down from behind last year on a trail merge. (Not saying this is what happened in this situation)

we all have to be cautious and respectful to each other out there. This incident convinced her that the best place to be in crowds on limited run resorts is trees or bumps.

scary, I feel bad for Ron and his family And the other person involved. Very sad all around

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I mentioned before my wife got mowed down from behind last year on a trail merge, (Not saying that is what happened in this situation)

we all have to be cautious and respectful to each other out there. This incident convinced her that the best place to be in crowds on limited run resorts is trees or bumps.

scary, I feel bad for Ron and his family.
We are respectfully asking that speculation and blaming of the snowboarder not set the tone of this thread. We just don't know enough at this time. The things we do know are that the snowboarder stuck around, and that he is cooperating.

Last edited:

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
We are respectfully asking that speculation and blaming of the snowboarder not set the tone of this thread. We just don't know enough at this time. The things we do know are that the snowboarder stuck around, and that he is cooperating.
Understood.
I edited my comment, it was not meant to lay blame on anyone And I don’t want it interpreted that way.

thank you for the reminder!

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Sad day in the ski community. He was a pioneer in explaining ski techniques. Mr. LeMaster will be missed.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Understood.
I edited my comment, it was not meant to lay blame on anyone And I don’t want it interpreted that way.

thank you for the reminder!
Thank you for understanding.
I have likewise edited my quote of you to reflect your changes.

stuckinphilly

Putting on skis
Skier
Wow. Sad news, I took an online seminar with him last year and learned a ton. I'm sorry to hear this.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Obviously I did not know the man; still in one of the many post floating around on FB it was written that in the '80s of last century he was in Rochester (MN, I take) working there for IBM...one of my uncles was there right around the same timeframe, so now I feel connected, somehow....
Regardless, a tragic accident such as this makes me sadder.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How tragic. His book…Ultimate Skiing….is my ski bible and has been the lone coffee table book on my ottoman for a number of years. Condolences to his family and those that knew him.

Sponsor