• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ron LeMaster dies in on slope collision 1949-2021

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
So sad, make a person really grab the day, hold it tight. I only met Ron once, a couple of years ago at the Denver SIA my go to boot fitter Jeff Bergeron (Boot Fixation) introduced me, and then Jeff made the point I really must get Ron's book(s). Since then Ultimate Skiing is parked on my coffee table to just grab and try to understand better. Ron...thank you...you continue to make a difference to my skiing.

Attachments

• LeMaster.JPG
    LeMaster.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 12
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’ve only heard two books referenced by coaches - and his is one of them. The modern skiing bible.
View attachment 150058 View attachment 150059
I don't want this to sound like a sales pitch, but I feel that it is a service to members here who are looking for his books, so I'm going to put it out there.
We have a link at the bottom of the page here for our Amazon store. In that link is a section on movies and books, where you can find Ron's books.

Again, I had not posted this because I feel its in bad taste to post a sales pitch in a memorial thread, but I am also getting questions about where to find his books.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Terrible news. So sad for family and friends.

His books and presentations provided wonderful insights into skiing.

A huge loss.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Maybe it’s time to begin a new thread about responsibility & Debs video could be the jumping off point. I know I was skiing today & definitely on higher alert as to what was going on around me & it wasn’t even crowded.

condolences to Ron and his family :)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think that is a good idea @4ster

Thread started and safety awareness discussion here

Last edited:

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can I a book make you a better skier? Maybe. I lent( (gave )
The Skiers Edge to a friend who was getting frustrated at being a terminal intermediate. I listened as she described the instruction she had received and with evangelical zeal I pulled out the book and put “post - it’s” on the parts that she seemed to need. “ Read this, commit it to memory here are the basic principles clearly illustrated I said or something along those lines. Within half a season she had moved up to being an advanced skier and I never got the book back. It is no easy task to break down a multi-dimensional physical activity into a clear
intelligible format but he did it and then some. His contributions to the sport will live on.
My condolences to his friends and family.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was just reading the Denver Gazette and was coming here to post this.

I got there after reading this.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The injuries sound like it was a brutal collision. I sympathize with the family but as @fatbob says, without evidence it’s hard to convict the person.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I don’t feel okay about this :( .
“Martinez said as he was coming down the left side of the run, he could see LeMaster in front of him weaving back and forth in the center of the run,” according to the report. “Martinez said as he was getting closer to LeMaster, LeMaster took a sharp turn and began coming towards the left side of the run. Martinez (stated) he began yelling 'Left, left, left' attempting to let LeMaster know he was on the outside of the run. Martinez said he was unable to avoid the collision with LeMaster and their heads collided.”
How come every time I’ve had a close call from behind in the past 10 years they complain that I was “weaving” back & forth? When did linking turns in the falline become bad behavior?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Neither do I. Martinez clearly doesn't understand that if he has to yell "left, left, left" in that manner he's already at fault. And I'm not sure the prosecutors did either - or didn't think the jury would, anyway.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Judging by the vast difference in injuries, I would guess the snowboarder was going fast and t-boned LeMaster.
I mean if that description posted was accurate, it’s a pretty clear violation. All he had to do was slow down.
The description of turning as “weaving” makes it sound like a drunk driver on the highway.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Do we know what terrain this happened on and if it's plausible that Lemaster was drilling on a slope generally used as a bit of a straightline runout? Not that it would excuse it of course but might help explain how it happened and prosecutor's perception.

I somehow doubt it because of Lemaster's experience.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier

How come every time I’ve had a close call from behind in the past 10 years they complain that I was “weaving” back & forth? When did linking turns in the falline become bad behavior?
It is really hard to pass (safely) someone doing big carving turns across the hill. Getting blocked like this can feel frustrating for an impatient person who can't also do the sweeping turns (either ability, doesn't want to do them, or crowds limit ability to do them). Misjudge the passing area and....

The description of the accident is exactly the kind of thing I fear most on the slopes... I have had at least two close calls like this myself and know someone who gave up skiing after getting hit like this (luckily the injuries were not severe).

Is there a dash-cam like gizmo for skiers? GoPro batteries are not good enough to operate all day. The camera should be low power and save battery on lifts. Basically something I can turn on in the morning and forget about it? Only save files for the +/-5 minutes before/after a collision.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It is really hard to pass (safely) someone doing big carving turns across the hill. Getting blocked like this can feel frustrating for an impatient person who can't also do the sweeping turns (either ability, doesn't want to do them, or crowds limit ability to do them). Misjudge the passing area and....

The description of the accident is exactly the kind of thing I fear most on the slopes... I have had at least two close calls like this myself and know someone who gave up skiing after getting hit like this (luckily the injuries were not severe).

Is there a dash-cam like gizmo for skiers? GoPro batteries are not good enough to operate all day. The camera should be low power and save battery on lifts. Basically something I can turn on in the morning and forget about it? Only save files for the +/-5 minutes before/after a collision.
Maybe we need a separate thread not about Ron. I was going to post about a recent experience with a French race coach but felt it wasn't appropriate.

Sponsor

Staff online