• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Ron's Thumbnail Reviews: The Way I Ski It

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
SIA is a great opportunity not only to get to play in next season's toy box but also to ski with friends you don't always get to see and share all the things we love about skiing. This year there wasn't so much show-stopping gear as there was a further refinement of some really good concepts and designs. I didn't test as many skis as I planned to because I got sick on Day 2, so I hope to get on some that were on my radar -- especially the Kästle MX84 and MX89, Salomon QST 106, and the new Rossignol E88 -- and will update once I have done so. I think there are more skis that can be dialed in to specific likes, wants, and needs now, and I hope my reviews are helpful.

Armada Invictus 85

Dimensions: 125-85-115
Radius: 18m@185cm
Size tested: 176
Design: All New

This skied very much like the 99 but it was even less stiff or demanding. It’s a fun, easy ski but lacked a little energy and pop for me. I did like it and feel maybe a lighter-weight skier may enjoy it more. It was easily overpowered but at $399, this is a steal.
  • Who is it for? Intermediates and advanced Intermediates who are on the lighter side or don't ski very hard. Those on a budget.
  • Who is it not for? Hard chargers or bigger folks.
  • Insider tip: Armada ain't just for parks, folks!

Armada Invictus 99Ti

Dimensions: 133-98-123
Radius: 20.5m@179cm
Size tested: 179

The Invictus 99Ti was a fun ski when not driven too hard; the tip is a little soft and got pushed around somewhat in leftover ankle-high, cut-up snow. On the groomed it was very good when skied centered and the tips weren't pressured. A solid ski, it's damp but not powerful, with decent edge-to-edge speed, and it drifted well: it could hold a carved turn but was just as fine breaking the tails as needed. It lacked good snow feel but that's a minor gripe.
  • Who is it for? Intermediates and advanced Intermediates who are on the lighter side or don't ski very hard. Many 60/40 skiers will really enjoy this one.
  • Who is it not for? Hard chargers or bigger folks.
  • Insider tip: Armada ain't just for parks, folks!

Atomic Backland 109

Dimensions: 134-109-124
Radius: 18m@182cm
Size tested: 182

By the time we tested the Backland 109, 2 to 4 in. of fresh had been schmeared around and piled up so it was a pretty good testing run. This ski, like the Pinnacle 88, was a real surprise and a treat, a super-fun ski with the new boat-hull-shaped tip profile. We took the 109 right into soft bumps and it shined. For a 109, this ski was very responsive and quick in the bumps. It had a very balanced feel with a nice flex pattern and great blend of dampness and snow feel. Out on the groomed, again the 109 had great tip engagement and really pulled you through the turn (for a 109); it was a blast ripping down to the expo tents. I wish I could have had a foot of powder to get this into as I really think it could be a blast, especially in the trees.

I really liked this ski!
  • Who is it for? Advanced intermediates and up looking for the wider of a two-ski quiver. This ski should be on the list. FUN!
  • Who is it not for? Don’t know. If you want something around 105-110, give it a try.
  • Insider tip: Check out the boat hull tip that reminded me of the old Fischer.

Elan Ripstick 96
Dimensions: 134-96-113
Radius: 18m@181cm
Size tested: 181

I gave the Ripstick my award for coolest graphics. I really wanted to like this ski, and maybe in the longer length I might have, but with its large tip reminiscent of early rocker incarnations, it was unstable at the slightest hint of a ripple on the snow. I tried skiing it in different styles in off-piste conditions and bumps, but to no avail. On the groomed, it performed best when skied very centered and staying off the tips, but I am not sure who needs a 96mm ski for just groomers. I am curious to hear feedback from lightweight skiers or those who tested the longer length.
  • Who is it for? Perhaps some lighter-weight skiers may have a different experience?
  • Who is it not for? Demo first and draw your own conclusions.
  • Insider tip: Maybe try a different length?

Head Monster 88

Dimensions: 133-88-114
Radius: 17.4m@177cm
Size tested: 177
Design: NGT

The Monster isn’t really a monster; it’s a super-fun, high-performing ski that does prefer a skilled pilot but isn’t all that demanding. Quick to edge and easy to drift, it just oozes smoothness and dampness. I loved this ski in the bumps and tracked-out leftovers; it just hummed through, taking it all in stride. In the field of 88s, this ski holds its own against skis twice its price. I did feel it was little slow to engage on the groomed when making short and medium turns; the mount point felt just slightly too far back. Like other Heads I have skied, I prefer the bindings just a touch more forward (maybe only +5mm), but otherwise, yep, another ski I could gladly own.
  • Who is it for? Anyone looking for a more serious all-mountain ski in the 85-90mm range.
  • Who is it not for? Lighter-weight skiers or those still developing good off-piste skills may find it a bit much.
  • Insider tip: Test on a demo binding first and try the mount point before you drill!

K2 Pinnacle 88

Dimensions: 128-88-110
Radius: 15m@184cm
Size tested: 184

Fun! Just a really fun, easy ski, the Pinnacle 88 is quick to get on edge; it displayed good snow feel and tip engagement, and it changed turn shape easily. It was solid in small bumps and leftovers, plenty stable, and, again, easy -- a very good ski that does it all very competently. The 88 isn't necessarily powerful, but it's a ski just about anyone can enjoy; it is a great option if you are looking for an alternative to stiffer metal skis in this class or just want to improve your skills. In the pack of 88s, this ski is one to put on the demo list.
  • Who is it for? Just about anyone who’s looking for an all-mountain ski that isn't stupid stiff or demanding.
  • Who is it not for? Super hard chargers, Clydesdales, or someone who feels that a ski must have metal to perform.
  • Insider tip: This may have been my favorite ski due to the fact that it was such a surprise. Don’t be fooled by the length.

Kästle FX85 and FX85 HP

Dimensions: 119-85-108
Radius: 19m@181cm
Size tested: 181
Design: Carryover

I had previously reviewed the HP version and I own the FX85, non-metal version. The FX85 isn't just 1 mm wider than the FX84; it's an improvement on an already outstanding design. It's truly a different ski. The new tapered tip and tail design and added rocker, in just the right amounts, make this a super off-piste weapon.

The HP version at SIA was poorly tuned so I am using my own demo experience. It was a bit burly for me and required a lot of attention in the bumps, demanding that I constantly drive the tips. For my tastes and skiing in Colorado, I don't feel that it's needed by all but the bigger bad asses out there. On piste, it engages better than the previous iteration, but it's still not what most would think an 85mm ski would provide. Don’t get me wrong, the FX85 is still more than adequate for anyone who understands what this ski is designed for. Superbly balanced, quick, easy, incredibly good drifter, stable on the steeps, and with float that a 85mm ski shouldn’t have, this ski needs to be piloted with skill and an understanding of just what you are getting for your money.

As for the non-metal version, yes, it's expensive, but not much more than many high-quality skis on the market. In my opinion, this is a ski that brings a synergistic result to those skiers who bring along skills. No ski will make you a better skier, but this one allows you to ski better: you may give up the stiffness from the metal, but you gain a ski that is compliant, even more quick and easy, and dare I say even more fun -- especially in the bumps where the tip flex is perfect! This build is pretty much the same as the outgoing BMX line which was often called stiff (especially in the 108). On steeps, chunder, bumps, even up to 6 or more inches, there’s a reason why this is my personal choice for an everyday Colorado ski.
  • Who is it for? Advanced intermediates and up who have good technical skills and can appreciate the feel and ultra-performance of this ski. If you are a hard-charging big dude north of 200 or ski only in big open terrain, give the HP a whirl; if you are of mere mortal size, even at the high expert level, try the regular wood-core version.
  • Who is it not for? Those lacking good technical skills or who want a ski that carves tight turns.
  • Insider tip: Check out the highly-durable matte finish and cool tip guards.

Line Supernatural 86

Dimensions: 125-86-112
Radius: 17.8m@172cm
Size tested: 179

The 86 is a traditional ski; I could not detect any rocker. It skied fine on groomers, engaging well, but seemed nervous upon jumping into some firmer chop. Not a lot of energy or pop. I just couldn't warm up to this ski; it didn’t do anything particularly great, but didn’t do anything poorly.
  • Who is it for? A skier who likes a traditional, non-rockered ski.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for a fun, carvy groomer ski.
  • Insider tip: Maybe try a different length?

Völkl 90Eight
Dimensions: 133-98-116
Radius: 20.1m@184cm
Size tested: 184
Design: NGT

WOW! Ok, on my voice recording, I am asking Phil if this was the 90 and not the 90Eight. Völkl is not the first ski I think of for my skiing, but maybe it should be. Not only was i surprised at the width underfoot, I was quite happy on the 184. Powerful but obtainable, quick, stable, damp, energetic, great snow feel .... Get my drift here? Great ski, I could own this.
  • Who is it for? A skier who likes a tool and not just a ski. A technical skier's ski. Ski it fast and hard, it will take all you give'r and leave you with a smile. Probably a ski best left for advanced skiers and up.
  • Who is it not for? Lightweight skiers or those without the skills to make it come alive. Don’t buy this to grow into.
  • Insider tip: Set it on edge and hold on tight!

About @Ron
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 170 lb depending on Belgian beer consumption...
Years skiing: 20
Days per year: 50-60
Home mountains: Steamboat, Arapahoe Basin, Copper Mountain
Preferred terrain: Bumps, trees, steeps, powder
Skiing style: Finesse
Preferred ski characteristics: A combination of fun and serious: damp but not dead, energetic but not jibby, stiff but not a plank. The ski should flex consistently and ski balanced. I value quickness and ease. I like a ski that can hold a carved turn or be released for controlled drifting in trees, bumps, and powder. I prefer skis with camber, low rise, shorter-run tip rocker, and very little tail rocker. For groomer skis, I don't need no stinkin' rocker at all!
Boots: Lange XT 130 with BootDoc Foam Freeski liners and Booster straps
About me: At 51 with 10 surgeries, I have to depend more on skills than muscle. I try to ski efficiently while minimizing stress on certain body parts that have some mileage on them.

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
Tester dimensions and skiing style?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice, Ron

Reactions: Ron

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bump, because ski tests are out and so is our amazing team of testers!

Sponsor