• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rossignol Experience 86 Basalt vs Elan Wingman 86 Ti

apt

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all -- not sure if this is the right forum to post this in.
I just finished my 1st season of skiing, and wanting to get purchase some gears for future season. 5'10", 200 lbs, skiing in Tahoe mostly.
Based on everyone's suggestions, I already have a bootfitter appointment scheduled, but for the skis, I was trying to decide between the Rossignol E86 (or 82) Basalt or the Elan Wingman 86(or 82) Ti.

Are any of these good for a self-assessed low intermediate? Or any other skis you would recommend. And I was thinking of 165-169cm for the length.
Thanks!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
At your weight I would think they would both be fine skis. I've skied them both and I'm a bit heavier than you, and both are good skis. They're a little on the stiff side for a beginner, but I think they're good choices. I would lean toward the 86 given that you're in Tahoe.

And welcome to SkiTalk!

Reactions: apt
TS
A

apt

Skier
Thanks for the feedback!
Any thoughts on the differences between the rossi or the elan?
I suppose either would be fine given I’m just starting out

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will ping @Andy Mink, these are two of his favorite skis ... well the Rossi 86Ti version and the Elan. First of all, step up to the 176 length for your size. I would also suggest the Rossi is purchaed flat and w.o the Konect system, it skis better with the regular SPX. The Elan can be purchased flat too but the system in fine although the Attack 13.

With the binding logistics out of the way, again go with the 176 in the Rossi and step up to the Ti and the 178 in the Elan. Between the two skis, I think the Rossi will carve a better turn and the Elan will smear a bit better and with the Amphiibio design (more rocker on the outside edges) will be a little more forgiving and hold your hand as you progress.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the feedback!
Any thoughts on the differences between the rossi or the elan?
I suppose either would be fine given I’m just starting out
The Wingman 86CTi is more playful than the Experience 86Ti, at least IMHO. Both are very good for on piste carving but the Rossi is geared more towards a stronger, charging skier though it can be skied slowly. The Wingman is more docile and easier to ski at the cost of a higher top end. Its mount point is more centered on the ski which makes it easier to push around. I skied the Wingman for a week at Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee with no regrets in fresh boot top powder, cut up day old snow, moguls, groomers, and a few trees. I never felt under-skied.

Either ski would work for you, but I think the Wingman would be an easier ski to start with yet still have oomph to get you through the next few levels. You won't be looking for top end speed for a while and Tahoe conditions beg for a jack of all trades type ski 90% of the time. BTW, I'm about your height and weight so it's a good comparison.

TS
A

apt

Skier
Thanks @Andy Mink. Would you recommend the system binding, or other bindings to go with the CTi (or the Ti)?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have the Rosi Exp 88 TI in 187 and they take a little more work for make short turns, I think because of the tail with less rocker, and of course they are 187s. They smear easily for me in soft snow. I thought they might be cumbersome in tight trees but they are easy edge to edge and to swing around when needed.
The Basalt might be different but mine are more towards the medium stiffness range on the ski chart. Still definitely not noodly for me at 180 lbs.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Andy Mink. Would you recommend the system binding, or other bindings to go with the CTi (or the Ti)?
I'd agree with @Philpug's suggestion above. Though if you can get a good price on the Rossi with the Konect, go for it. If you haven't skied the two bindings back to back you'll never know the difference and at lower levels it won't be a game changer. :ogbiggrin:

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My friend demo'ed the Rossi 86ti at Deer Valley last month and really enjoyed it. He said he could see easily use it as a OSQ out west here for resorts. Of course on Deer Valley's immaculate groomers one would be hard-pressed to not appreciate most skis :roflmao:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@apt I own the Rossi Exp 86ti and the Wingman 82CTi.

Given your self-description, I'd steer you towards the Wingman 86CTi (for all the reasons @Andy Mink said).

But as a 200 pound expert that prefers directional skis, I am flat out LOVING the Rossi 86ti!

Finally, I'll say that I really hate the amphibio design. I had my Wingmans a day or two, got a small core shot on the inside edge, and 3 different shops have failed to keep a patch in there. Any normal ski and I'd just make it the outside edge -- so I'm recommending an Enforcer 88 to you instead. You'll love how its friendliness helps you progress off-piste. Once you figure out it isn't the best hardpack carver in the world, you'll be ready for a narrower carver anyway! :roflmao:

TS
A

apt

Skier
If I end up getting the 86mm skis flat, would a binding with 85mm brake width work? or do I have to get the 95mm brake width bindings?
I'm guessing 90mm brake width binding would definitely work, if the binding comes in that size.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
85 brake is no problem.
I have an Attack 13 Demo with 85 brake mounted on a 92 ski. It required minimal bending ( a couple mm )

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink