• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rotobrush Applied Waxes - Experiences and Favourites

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
Regarding durability. One of the things that lured me into buying roto wool was the thought that it could be an easy way of applying a thin layer of really hard wax to the skis, and that this could help durability.

I'm not that concerned with ulitmate glide, but hate base burn. But at the same time I don't like to work with really hard waxes (CH3-4-5) , brittle, flaky and if the skis are dry to start with as they often are, a softer wax should be applied first adding yet another step.

I hot wax when I have time, and often not able to get it right for the conditions. Usually use LF6/CH6/HS6 or LF7/CH7/HS7 for the hot waxing. If getting icy or cold and abrasive conditions I would wool on some CH5 or CH4 on top of the softer wax. If it gets warm and wet, I would spray on some HS8 on top of the harder wax.

But in real life I don't really have much time to wax skis, even with spray and roto wooling, so have not gained enough experience to tell if it's working or not... I do proritize to sharpen edges and generally find that's more important than waxing to have a good day while skiing gates. But the bases suffer...

Today I'm just proud I managed to clean and apply "Swix Base Protection Liquid" to a whopping 24 pairs of skis ;-)

Last edited:

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Posting here again in the hope that people will share their wool/fleece experience as the season progresses.

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hmmm... no significant new update on the wooling experience. Looks great after, but feel like it doesn't last long, even when using really hard wax like CH4.
Going to hot wax all of them during summer or autumn, but first there are 8 bikes that needs spring service.

Would be nice to be able to afford a ski/bike butler... ;-)
But you did remind me that I didn't follow up on this one. And now the number has a risen from 21 to 25 and those new ones need new ski prep as well. Too much to do before Christmas, perhaps I have to bring waxing gear on Christmas holiday.

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
Managed to bring 12 pairs on Christmas holiday, 3 pairs pr family member and have had more time than usual for waxing and tuning.

1000007485.jpg

Until now I have used my old cordless 18V blue Bosch for roto wooling. Borrowed a corded drill from my father during Christmas. It worked a lot better with more rpm. Swix suggests only 1500 rpm, but Ull*a suggests 1600 to 2700 rpm. Don't know how fast these drills spin but felt more was better up to some point, so will dig out a corded drill for wooling when I get back. I just had the cord around my neck and didn't die ;-)

Sponsor

Staff online