• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rule Changes - Super Tuck, Bottle Toss

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I don't even know what happened there. All I can think is lack of attention, too much weight on the front, lots of power and an over correction. Boggles the mind. Course I've seen people ride right into parked cars and signs..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Course I've seen people ride right into parked cars and signs..

Hey. I resemble that remark. Well, skated anyway.

As for bottles..to me that's just primadonna behaviour..like, I'm too good to bother throwing this bottle an extra 10' off the road. They sure can toss'em when they're pist off at other riders! Just lazy and stupid move. Imagine if someone threw a bottle under your front wheel on your local hero route... :nono:

Are you watching the 'toss'ers at the UAE? Particularly at the late feed with the 'spiking' of the bottles into the pavement? :roflmao: :geek::roflmao:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Speeco come out with commercial products like the Aero Break Away bar:

View attachment 125124

OF COURSE the UCI are going to react. How did anyone not see that coming?

The UCI has already banned this specific bar, as noted by the commentators at today's Le Samyn race.

But there are racers who are using narrow flared bars (i.e. the bottom-of-drops distance is still in the 38-40cm range but the top flat is something like 24-28cm) to create a work-around. A few were doing this and it looked particularly odd, if not a bit dangerous inasmuch that the brifters stick well outside of the drop.

Those on solo breakaways could take advantage but it just looked fraught.

As far as the supertuck ban is concerned it's important to recall there are three control points on the bike:

- handlebars
- pedals
- saddle

Remove any one of these and the others gain more significance. Given the pedals have the least leverage (and asymmetrical leverage, at that), the saddle is vital. If a resonant shimmy occurs it's really difficult to compensate when resting on the top tube. Bringing the smaller frame size equation into the mix, it's tough to grip the top tube (or down tube in some geometrical permutations) to dampen any vibrations. It is a recipe for disaster.

Yes, these riders are professionals and most can handle a bike better than 99.99% of us mere mortals, but the risk-vs-reward isn't worth it, in my opinion. If everything were absolutely standardized - including rider height, frame size, geometry, etc. - then it would be a moot point. But you have a hodge podge of rider height and weight, bike build and geometry, rim depth, tire width, you name it. It's a lot of variables and, as they say, feces can occur.

The optics of spectacular crashes is not a great one for the sport of cycling. We're accustomed to crashes in bunch sprints or in slick corners, but a crash that's caused by an especially dangerous technique that amateur riders may emulate to mortal disaster? If it can be quashed it's not a bad decision, to these eyes.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
But you have a hodge podge of rider height and weight, bike build and geometry

Since you mention geo, have you seen any recent tri bikes with relatively long front center (other than the Plasma 6 I mentioned above).

Remove any one of these and the others gain more significance. Given the pedals have the least leverage (and asymmetrical leverage, at that), the saddle is vital. If a resonant shimmy occurs it's really difficult to compensate when resting on the top tube. Bringing the smaller frame size equation into the mix, it's tough to grip the top tube (or down tube in some geometrical permutations) to dampen any vibrations. It is a recipe for disaster.

Just to point out why the whole shimmy issue is clear as mud to me, I'll quote from the Shimmy chapter of Wilson et al. "Bicycling Science":

...As long as the cyclist does not compound the problem through active intervention, any of several different methods seems to stop the oscillation at once:

- Reducing weight on the saddle (by standing slightly) deprives the vibrating system of a key restraint and adds considerable damping.

- Clamping the top tube of the frame between the rider's knees tremendously alters the vibrating mass and also adds damping

- Lightly using the hands in a passive 'resisting" or "motion-reducing" mode also increases damping.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online