• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can see the ladies will be broadcast @10:30pm EST on NBCSN. I can't wait that long and will have to watch the live stream. I don't see yet what time the men are on.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I can see the ladies will be broadcast @10:30pm EST on NBCSN. I can't wait that long and will have to watch the live stream. I don't see yet what time the men are on.
Frustrating isn't it? I try to set my DVR to record the races but I miss some. Sometimes they are listed as Skiing which means if I record "all skiing" I often end up with slopestyle, moguls, aerials, pipe & repeats of everything. Other times it is listed as FIS Skiing or Alpine Skiing & often the scheduled broadcast times are wrong, get changed or it just doesn't happen at all. The best bet is to watch the live stream, if you can get it.

I'm happy I will at least be able to DVR the women's GS on NBCSN. I imagine the men's GS will be on the Olympic Channel which I sadly don't get. I haven't figured out how I'm gonna see anything that is not on NBC or NBCSN without buying extra equipment &/or subscribing to things I don't really want or need otherwise.

Men are the day after. 10:00 local time.
The problem here in the US is that Alpine ski racing is a super fringe sport & is rarely shown live on TV, if at all. When the races are in Europe, "live" is usually the middle of night for us.

Last year I had things pretty dialed between NBC, NBCSN & UniversalHD. If I could, I would watch live stream for the first run & then watch the TV coverage of the second run. The TV coverage usually only did highlights of the first run & would often show the fastest run first & tell you so. I think they finally figured out that format took all the drama out of it.

The other issue is trying not to know results before getting a chance to watch. I am learning to avoid the SPOILER posts on all forms of social media from those who can't contain themselves & want to announce it to the world. I've gotten better at that & when I do know results it is usually my own fault for being connected to all sorts of feeds & pages.

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah I know it’s an oddball activity, but they are prime US time. Normally, first run 09:00 and second 12:00 local CET. +6-9 hours for you yanks. That’s beer ’o’ clock.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Frustrating isn't it?

The other issue is trying not to know results before getting a chance to watch. I am learning to avoid the SPOILER posts on all forms of social media from those who can't contain themselves & want to announce it to the world. I've gotten better at that & when I do know results it is usually my own fault for being connected to all sorts of feeds & pages.

It is frustrating, but the numbers just do not support it in this country. When it's broadcast on NBC, I believe that at times it attracts fewer than 100K viewers.

It's an annual chore to try to navigate thought this mess, and develop some type of solution. I feel like I need full time tech support at home! I'm awaiting this year's "plan" from our kids.

I think the spoiler issue and trying to avoid knowing the results is just a non starter, in 2017, in any sport. Media is very different. It's everywhere as soon as it happens. I appreciate the pluses of that, yet often wish that it were not so.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I learned to accept the spoilers and simply appreciate the skiing.

What irritates me is when they stick a non-skiing sports announcer on to butcher the commentary. When we get good combinations like Steve Porino and Bode Miller it’s great but often they’ll waste Porino up at the start where he gives 30 seconds over a 90 minute show.

Muleski

Inactive
Kilde being held out of Soelden. Concussion in training crash. Plans to return at Lake Louise.
I'm glad to see them not messing around with this. Nothing to take lightly.
Best of luck. Love the way he skis.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Looks like the Olympic Channel will show Men's GS, Sunday 5:30am MST.
You do the math :D. I guess I won't be watching, hopefully someone will post it up on Youtube or something?

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Looks like the Olympic Channel will show Men's GS, Sunday 5:30am MST.
You do the math :D. I guess I won't be watching, hopefully someone will post it up on Youtube or something?

A. *MDT. Daylight Saving Time doesn't end until November 5th (Sorry. Why am I like this??)
B. Aintcha got a DVR?
C. They will show a replay at 3:00 PM

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
A. *MDT. Daylight Saving Time doesn't end until November 5th (Sorry. Why am I like this??)
B. Aintcha got a DVR?
C. They will show a replay at 3:00 PM

A. I don't write the news, I just report it ;) . It's all part of the conspiracy. Like I said, you do the math.

B. I've got a DVR, just no Olympic channel. :(

C. See B.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
A. I don't write the news, I just report it ;) . It's all part of the conspiracy. Like I said, you do the math.

B. I've got a DVR, just no Olympic channel. :(

C. See B.

Oh, gotcha. Sorry I thought you were saying that's too early in the morning. ;)

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Oh, gotcha. Sorry I thought you were saying that's too early in the morning. ;)
Well, that too. Problem is, as you pointed out the broadcasters don't know the difference between Standard & Daylight Savings so I wouldn't know what time to get up or set my DVR anyway :huh::doh::huh:.

Muleski

Inactive
Just looked at skiracing.com and learned that Coralie Frasse Sombet of France has strained an ACL, and she joins the list of those who will not be starting at Soelden.

She's a pretty consistent skier. Not a star, but capable of scoring in every GS race. Too bad. At least it's not a tear, and she will be back soon.

Seems like a lot of injuries, but I bet it's like most years.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Another twist: Sölden may get a wee bit of snow today, per WePowder. Most of the northern Alps are expecting 20-30cm of fresh snow over the next 24-30 hours. I realize it's still early in the week, but this can affect the race surface quite a bit.

At least the panoramic shots of the entire Sölden area will be beautiful and wintery.

Sponsor