• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sabatical location- which would you choose and why

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
DH is starting to plan for his sabatical. I'm not too thrilled about being away from our home, but to his credit he is willing to consider locations that I might like too (in other words he wants me to agree to come too, even if only for the spring semester.) Of course there are limitations, for example who will agree to host him, funding possibilities, and what he could justify based on his field (theoretical quantum mechanics with a philosophical bent.)

These aren't real choices yet (and might never be), but of the following 3 which would you choose? Crestone, CO, Boulder, CO, or Albuquerque/ Santa Fe, NM.

TS
S

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Probably not summer, but he's shooting for both fall and spring semesters if he can swing the funding. Spring semester (Jan- April) is the one that matters to me for winter activities though.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think Boulder would be a great place to spend a semester or two. Great recreation, whether hiking/biking in the Fall/Spring or skiing in the winter. All within reasonable distance (including out your door for the first two). And a charming lively town to spend time.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Okay, I'm going to say it.
Reno Nevada is what people think Boulder/Denver is going to be.
Denver/Boulder is close to great hiking and mt biking most of the year but the I70 mess can be an issue and makes the commute "sporty" most of the season.

Reno is in Nevada but not closely connected to the stereotypes of Nevada.
We are (somewhat) cost effective and we are 30-40 minutes from world class skiing, mountain biking, hiking and .....well... the SkiTalk worldwide headquarters.
It reall is a great place to land.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, I'm going to say it.
Reno Nevada is what people think Boulder/Denver is going to be.
Denver/Boulder is close to great hiking and mt biking most of the year but the I70 mess can be an issue and makes the commute "sporty" most of the season.

Reno is in Nevada but not closely connected to the stereotypes of Nevada.
We are (somewhat) cost effective and we are 30-40 minutes from world class skiing, mountain biking, hiking and .....well... the SkiTalk worldwide headquarters.
It reall is a great place to land.
But that's not one of the given choices.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
S

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Boulder is great given the U (research including space), but I like the esoteric Zen-ish feel of Sante Fe if it's an option.

A happy soul can help the mind come up with theory

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I was kidding. I'm a grug brain and got stumped on what that even means especially the philosophical part. All I know about Colorado is that I70 sucks but the skiing is good all Winter into the Spring. All I know about New Mexico is Taos starts to get really good in March and then it closes first week April. I'm in Vermont. Good skiing comes and goes with the fickle weather but we always have that nice trip to Colorado or Taos to look forward to.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Santa Fe NM has its unique Southwest arts, culture, and energy. A place like Los Alamos probably fits your hubby’s sabbatical criteria.

and of course, Santa Fe has such amazing opera festival for me. Albuquerque’s October balloon festival has always fascinated me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But if there's a research university or someplace with funding for DH, I'm game :)
UNR is a very respected university. I am not sure what his field is in though.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok… we chose Reno for our retirement option. I’m not sure that UNR has the graduate level programs that you are looking for. Of your listed choices - Santa Fe - hands down, no competition! It is one of the all time great small cities! AND it is reasonably close to great skiing. I never get enough of Santa Fe when I visit.

Why? … great arts scene, dining, hiking, culture, natural beauty, and easy drive to great skiing.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
On that list, Santa Fe would be my pick for sure. I like Albuquerque, but it's way grittier than the other choices--they've got that crime and poverty that the public attributes to Reno. Sandia's a fun cruising ski area, but it would get boring for a whole season. Northern New Mexico has more to offer for skiing.
Boulder's painfully pretentious, and the skiing is super crowded. Crestone's way out in the middle of nowhere. Cool access to Great Sand Dunes and the forests, and from everything I've heard skiing at Monarch and Wolf Creek are fantastic. But the other choices are cities; Crestone's 3 hours from the closest Walmart--it's a completely different thing.

The major research universities in the West are in California, and the ski areas available anywhere in California are going to be better than the East (although it can require a few hours' commute each way). One way or another, sounds like a very cool adventure to look forward to!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, I had to look up Crestone, CO to find out where it's at. I was about 50 miles from it when I drove through Salida on Memorial Day Weekend 2021. Very rural mountain/ranch area. I guess it has a metaphysical-spiritual connotation/community?
crestone, co.jpg
Drive times to nearby ski areas: 1:10 to monarch, 1:45 to wolf creek, 2:40 to crested butte.

Boulder would be the conventional choice. Pretty much big city life near the mtns. Lively college town. Eldora ski area is close, most other big ski areas are west on I70. Santa Fe is a very cool little city, very artsy, close to Ski Santa Fe ski area. Of the three choices Santa Fe would get my vote.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Crestone would have to be my choice. Butch and Sundance must have robed something around there.
That place looks to be about as far from anything Massachusetts as it gets, and the country looks spectacular. It has a grocery store, a brewery, and handful of new age religious centers; what a great mix.
If by chance you actually meant Creston, BC it would move immediately to the top of the list. (just sayin')

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
DHs field is theoretical quantum mechanics with a philosophical bent? Don't see how Crestone. CO fits into that in any way. Not that Crestone isn't a fine place, but it is a weird place, unless you're really into the cult thing. Just recently viewed a TV program on "Mother God" which spent much time on her and her groups activities in Crestone. Believe her followers, successors, are still there.

I've given this more thought and wonder if putting Crestone on the list is a troll. Sure it's close to Saguache, but once you've been there to see the Stop Sign what else is there?

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online