• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sabatical location- which would you choose and why

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But Boulder would be an entirely new experience, which could be fun too. I have to say that all the horror stories of I 70 almost make I 95 sound like a doddle though.
Boulder would be my choice since you can ski on weekdays when traffic isn't an issue and nearby Eldora isn't crowded.

Also, consider the longer ski season that will allow you to ski into June from Boulder. On IKON, which you'd probably want, Eldora and Copper will be open to mid-April, Mary Jane to mid-May, and A-basin likely into June. There's little to no I-70 traffic after April 1st.

I've lived with 20 miles of Boulder my whole life. I rode my bike there today. I went to undergrad and spent my first 20 years working in Boulder, the first ten at one of the national labs. I'm not a huge Boulder fan and have chosen not to live there except for a few years after college, but it's the perfect place for a vacation or a sabbatical. Great place to visit, which we often do.

With three national labs, the university, and a thriving startup ecosystem in addition to big businesses nearby, there should be many opportunities. The scientific community is remarkable for such a small livable community.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
My interpretation of "sabbatical" is "not working" -- so does proximity to a university matter? Unless I missed something.

Of the three choices presented for a sabbatical, i.e. not working, I would choose Santa Fe. Just because it feels like "not USA" because of the culture. If I had to do some work I'd probably still choose SF. Boulder, last time I was there, felt like a city, and a pricy one at that. Unless that's what you want.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My interpretation of "sabbatical" is "not working" -- so does proximity to a university matter? Unless I missed something.
I believe in this case, it's a sabbatical for a college professor away from their normal course/student work, to do research or learning someplace else. So it's still working, but sort-of an independent study year for the professor, hence the need to coordinate with a university and think about funding, etc. (At least, that's how other ones I've seen have worked.)

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
University sabbaticals tend to be paid leave, gained from the university because the prof applied for it by submitting a research plan for the time off. A product of some sort from this research will usually need to be submitted to the university at the end. Presumably the point is to give the prof time to do the research he/she has been wanting to do but couldn't because of teaching and committee commitments. Many sabbaticals are done away from the campus.

I don't know if this is how the sabbatical in question is being done, but it's how my husband's sabbaticals were always arranged.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
. I'd gladly be back at Los Alamos, still have a friend there from years ago when DH did a post-doc there (sadly I wasn't skiing at the time) but support and funds would be an issue. ... doddle though.

I just asked DH to take a look at the UNR physics dept and see if he knows anyone there.
Sandia in ABQ too, lots of geeks. However the I-70 weekday traffic is a good point.

FYI, Gruet Winery is a nice adder for NM :toast

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Oh the City Market in Steamboat is an absolute wreck. Right @Ron?
I think all resort towns (at least by the ski mtn) are crazy from Thursday through Monday. You just learn to adapt and adjuat. We are still have supply issues here and a serious lack of workers at both safeway and citimarket. This winter will be challenging.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Physics + skiing = Switzerland
So just going to toss this out there, but as child my family did a sabbatical and we went overseas for a year and it was amazing. Just saying I think you should expand your thinking and consider Europe. Some great Universities in the Geneva area a stones through from the Alps. You could also look at the French or Italian options in that same Area. There are also some great Universities in and around Munich also right next to some great skiing. All of these locations are pretty amazing with lots and lots of things to see and do and eat .... and did I mention the amazing skiing. Lots of great options to chose from in Europe and definitely a bucket list kind of experience.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think all resort towns (at least by the ski mtn) are crazy from Thursday through Monday. You just learn to adapt and adjuat. We are still have supply issues here and a serious lack of workers at both safeway and citimarket. This winter will be challenging.

I don't know what it is about that parking lot though. I think it has to do with the shape of the lot and angle of the parking rows. It's a special kind of crazy. The City Market in Avon gets pretty bad too.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
No one goes to the Lake Tahoe on weekend, it's too crowded. You act as of that lake is the only thing to do around here, let alone the only lake.
Isn’t that where everyone goes skiing?

Between the crowding, aggressive drivers, gas and food costs, heat and smoke I don’t imagine I’ll be back to that area unless work sends me there. I did like Humboldt County though. The Sacramento Valley? Oof. That place was rough in July.

I passed through Tahoe one day…..I’m good. I literally high tailed it to some off the radar logging roads to camp in some quiet. I did the same up around the Sierra Buttes area but man there were a ton of huge bears in the area I camped. It was kind of scary up there.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Isn’t that where everyone goes skiing?
People go skiing when it snows, be it midweek, weekeds or Holidays.

I literally high tailed it to some off the radar logging roads
They are just as, if not more dangerous than the main roads. This is the logging truck that hit me because he was traveling on the wrong side of the road.
A2312B9F-901C-455E-87BC-869FD5CE6793.JPG

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
People go skiing when it snows, be it midweek, weekeds or Holidays.

They are just as, if not more dangerous than the main roads. This is the logging truck that hit me because he was traveling on the wrong side of the road.
View attachment 148066
hey,

you're on the left going the wrong way, while the truck is on the right going .. well ... the right way.

can't fool me!!!

did ya have to change your shorts? I know I would be.

TS
S

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Update-- at long last DH has pinned down dates and locations. To quote Meatloaf, two out of three ain't bad. We'll be spending 6 weeks in Boulder starting mid Jan, then a month in NM. Of course now that he finally has all that settled, it is a bit of a crunch to figure out housing kind of last minute. I thought we had found a good dog friendly rental within walking distance to the university and with a fenced yard for Archie last night, but the owner declined even though the property is showing as available for the dates we want on two different rental sites. I warned DH that housing will likely be a challenge.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Update-- at long last DH has pinned down dates and locations. To quote Meatloaf, two out of three ain't bad. We'll be spending 6 weeks in Boulder starting mid Jan, then a month in NM. Of course now that he finally has all that settled, it is a bit of a crunch to figure out housing kind of last minute. I thought we had found a good dog friendly rental within walking distance to the university and with a fenced yard for Archie last night, but the owner declined even though the property is showing as available for the dates we want on two different rental sites. I warned DH that housing will likely be a challenge.
Good luck!

Sponsor

Staff online