• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Saddleback Rebirth 2020 and beyond

James

Out There
Instructor
This is cool.

That is cool. Never seen that before.
Some interesting trail names.
- Smelt Streamer
-Squirrel’s Tale
-Gnat
Though that last one could lead to a “who’s on first?” debacle.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That is cool. Never seen that before.
Some interesting trail names.
- Smelt Streamer
-Squirrel’s Tale
-Gnat
Though that last one could lead to a “who’s on first?” debacle.
As I understand it from the Facebook post, they're all fishing flies, or fishing and fly related.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
It looks like they are opening on Tuesday, I hope that somebody here is able to ski at Saddleback shortly and can report back ogsmile! Really rooting for them.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied there today. They had all three lifts running. Other than the bunny hill it was Tricolor, Green Weaver, or Gray Ghost. Nevertheless it was a great experience. The snow surface - on GG especially - was superb. It was, you know, NE groomer skiing. But it was really good groomer skiing. Mostly I just lapped the new HSQ.

That lift is such a treat: a normal lift ride instead of that excruciating frigid crawl. 14 runs between 10:30 and 2:00, more or less. 16,000+ vertical, according to Strava, FWIW.

But more than any of this was the simple fact that the place was humming with productive industry. On Royal Coachman - under the lift - there were TWO cats, six new snow cannons blasting, and about six guys working it all. See gifs below. On one trail alone this is more concentrated effort on base building than was evident in an entire month under the previous administration. Obviously they intend to do this thing right, and that is so encouraging.

Gorgeous cord and new lift top station:
20201218_104658-01.jpeg

Outdated sticker. But new Rx inserts from @GogglesNMore.
20201218_104711-01-01.jpeg

Pulling it together in the passenger seat.
20201218_102332-01.jpeg

In the parking lot. One of the highest bases in the NE. Anywhere higher?

20201218_190920.jpg

Anyone who has skied with me knows I NEED MY AFTERNOON COFFEE. And there it was. On the house! Outdoors!
20201218_134651-02.jpeg

Shot this for @LiquidFeet, who always laments the lack of proper teaching terrain. Here you go, LF - Below the lodge, out of the main traffic flow.
20201218_133705-01.jpeg

Racks not exactly full.
20201218_135357-01.jpeg

Random Joe on the summit, Rangeley Lake in the background, not quite frozen yet.
20201218_123838-01.jpeg

Crew At Work:
20201218_113852_1.gif 20201218_113852_2.gif

Gray Ghost, ready for speed.
20201218_130226-01.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does anybody know if prepurchase is necessary for MLK Saturday at Saddleback ? I can call tommorow just wondering how long I can wait to decide if its worth the drive.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anybody know if prepurchase is necessary for MLK Saturday at Saddleback ? I can call tommorow just wondering how long I can wait to decide if its worth the drive.
My two cents: The only thing I'd avoid more avidly than skiing ANYWHERE MLK Saturday is skiing MLK Saturday during Covid. Especially in a low snow year like this. (Sorry Saddleback, this is not personal.) I would guess that, of 10 horror story crowd days in my skiing history, about seven of them were on MLK weekend.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does the Magic MLK from two years ago count as more than one? Or all seven?
1+. The + is because I drove across three states to experience it.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My two cents: The only thing I'd avoid more avidly than skiing ANYWHERE MLK Saturday is skiing MLK Saturday during Covid. Especially in a low snow year like this. (Sorry Saddleback, this is not personal.) I would guess that, of 10 horror story crowd days in my skiing history, about seven of them were on MLK weekend.

Ya but you saw my picture of white heat lift last Saturday so there are ways around the crowds. It might not be worth the extra 2 hour drive for a day. We are skiing monday anyways so will decide if we want to hike or ski somewhere on sat and sun. We planned on skiing independents on blackout days but with the bad snow things arent going according to plan, if there is such a thing these days. We already invited some friends otherwise we could bail and rent it out for a lot, but i would rather pay to ski.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Enjoy.
America to Upper Hudson Highway to Sneaky Peter to Gray Ghost to the terrain park.

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Enjoy.
America to Upper Hudson Highway to Sneaky Peter to Gray Ghost to the terrain park.
Thanks, LF.

I hasten to reassure Pugs who have not been to Saddleback that there is plenty of challenging terrain available; that clip just avoids it assiduously.

Reactions: mdf

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Yes it does. But but it's a loooooooong way down. I was impressed with the length of that run.
Let's find some video of tree skiing there.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes it does. But but it's a loooooooong way down. I was impressed with the length of that run.
Let's find some video of tree skiing there.
A quick search revealed nothing that was not excruciating in terms of skier performance or editing or both. I may revisit the search when I have more free time.

Sponsor

Staff online