• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Saddleback Rebirth 2020 and beyond

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is long, but it tells the story of Saddleback and its rebirth. Kind of touching.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mercifully short but to the point. (My kid, age 14 ... quite a few years ago.)
Have you been up there on your return? I'm wondering if the woods are still good or have an underbrush problem after so many years in limbo.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you been up there on your return? I'm wondering if the woods are still good or have an underbrush problem after so many years in limbo.
I was up there yesterday. There is no more of an underbrush problem than there every was. Which, I hasten to say, is not no underbrush problem. ;) The skiing was full-on spring bluebird and fabulous, btw. They are going to need more snow if they want the natural-snow trails to last another month, though, imo.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied with Ali a few times, cool to see that she has landed at Saddleback.

Oh yeah. I have noticed her! I complimented her on her skiing, not knowing her position. (She was not in uniform.) Thanks for connecting the dots. Next time I will buttonhole her properly.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Oh yeah. I have noticed her! I complimented her on her skiing, not knowing her position. (She was not in uniform.) Thanks for connecting the dots. Next time I will buttonhole her properly.

She's super nice and a newer member of the PSIA-E Dev Team.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I closed out my Saddleback season yesterday. Glorious hot sunny spring day. Groomers in great corny condition, but getting thin, of course, after almost no snow since February. Unfortunately after this past week of warmth the natural / bump / tree runs are done, at least by my standards. (A couple things were nominally open, but "thin cover" did not begin to describe the reality.)

It was an embarrassment of riches in the social department. I ran into both @Brad J and @singlecross in passing, but due to conflicting commitments did not manage to ski with either. (Brad, I kept an eye out for your white helmet in the PM when I was more free, but did not see. I think I may have spotted you and George de-booting on my way out. Black mustang?) Next year for sure. Sorry about that.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Great to see them have such an upbeat and really encouraging “first year back!” under the new ownership structure and new leadership. And....in what has been a fairly lean and problematic snow winter for N.E. skiing.

I bet their future is looking brighter. Saddleback is remote, but to me, that adds to everything there. And it is North, which, along with the mountain’s orientation could serve it well for the future.

They could open before, and close after Sugarloaf with the right work. That's saying something.

Great to see. Onward and Upward!

Last edited:

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Black mustang
Yes that was us , Had a fun day will definitely be back when more is in play, we certainly can see why you are embracing the Mt. We went to Sugarloaf today and was a great afternoon once the fog /cloud dissipated, Steep bumps where the most fun. Tony we certainly will make a point to ski together next season, hope at Saddleback to show us around.

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Did Saddleback have a successful season? Seems there was some buzz and good reports. Not the best snow year in Maine but not too bad either

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was there only one day at the last weekend they were open. Not sure if it was a financial success but they really provided a great , positive , friendly experience
Will definitely be back next season because of their efforts.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Did Saddleback have a successful season? Seems there was some buzz and good reports. Not the best snow year in Maine but not too bad either
Yes. They actually outperformed projections on ticket sales despite a total crap March - normally a top month for snowfall. New t-bar (!) going in this summer.

James

Out There
Instructor
I'll check it out. Let's hope they get an article in Skiing Future.
Heh, true. The audience of Skiing History is not the one they need to reach, but it helps I suppose.