• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Safe car for skiing and kids to drive

TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Not only do I know how to drive a manual, I had a CDL with tanker endorsement, and air brake endorsement. I can back up a trailer operate most heavy equipment (but its been awhile) but I never attempted to pull doubles or get that endorsement.

I did give up my CDL a few years ago because I didn't want to mess around with annual drug tests or physicals for something I no longer used. That $$ was better spent on things that are applicable to my current lifestyle.
So when you say you are saving $$ and no longer use, is that referring to the license or something else. Lots of room to take creative license here :roflmao:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So when you say you are saving $$ and no longer use, is that referring to the license or something else. Lots of room to take creative license here :roflmao:
LOL I guess I could be clearer.
I ran an excavation business/gravel pits with my former husband. I frequently drove trucks and operated heavy machinery, although my primary job was running the office, doing payroll and such.

I found that I never drove a commercial vehicle nor did I have a desire to look for a job where a CDL was needed after I moved to Reno. I got a notice in the mail saying that I had not completed my required physical or drug test in 4 or 5 years. I priced it out and was going to lay out close to 500.00 for the physical and drug test to stay compliant. That is 500.00 that is better spent on something like....a ski pass ;)

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do the newer Subarus have the current safety features like blind spot monitoring etc? Ours (Impreza ‘13) does not.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Classic SkiTalk. Pretty soon we'll have a few recommendations for every wagon, SUV, CUV in production. Regardless of price, size, HP, etc.

We are about to visit our niece and her husband, in MT. I had offered to rent a car, as we're going to catch up with some friends, and cover some ground. She said: "No need, you can use one of ours. Have more than we need."

I remember when she bought a new Imprezza 8 years ago, with a standard. Amazing how two big jobs in a few tech companies have provided. She has a big Tahoe and an Audi S7. Her husband has an F250 and a brand new RS6 wagon. The live in babysitter drives his old A4 Allroad. I assume we won't be driving their Sprinter, or the antique Jeepster.

She always jokes about learning to drive a stick in three Subies, and a couple of family trucks.

But, agree, kind of a dying skill, for young most ladies. None of my 31 year old daughter’s friends can drive a standard. If she had needed somebody to drive her Outback XT, then her Alltrack, she might have had a problem! Not an issue with her new Allroad.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Those of us in the USA don't think driving a stick is important, I remember traveling to Europe and most of the rental cars had a stick shift. I don't know if that is still true because I have not travel there in a long time. Could any of our members that live outside the USA chime in to this thread. Or anyone that has traveled overseas as many skiers do share their experiences.
Mostly automatic in the UK at least, unless you are as cheap as me and get the cheapest rental available, in which case there is a fair chance it will be a manual. Funnily enough I learned using a manual in the UK and drove there for years, and then drove a manual for 25 years in the US, and changing left or right handed never made much difference to me - I might drop the wrong hand a couple of times when starting out but it was never an issue.

Do the newer Subarus have the current safety features like blind spot monitoring etc? Ours (Impreza ‘13) does not.
My 2020 Impreza does, and in fact I'd say that it has the most impressive safety features of any car I've owned.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Classic SkiTalk. Pretty soon we'll have a few recommendations for every wagon, SUV, CUV in production. Regardless of price, size, HP, etc.

Ok, how's this...I'm in the car research mode, and this car will be used to support my ski/race season. I'm looking at:
  • Audi S3
  • Audi S4
  • Alfa Giulia (RWD preferred)

How are those recommendations for an SSV (Ski Support Vehicle)? :D

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
FWIW, my wife has a 2018 VW Alltrack (first one our dealer delivered) and I have a 2020 VW Tiguan. We both love our cars (although she not quite as much as the 2014 Golf TDi she traded in). On her car the entire panoramic sunroof assembly was replaced, and she has had no leakage since (the car is parked outside 365 days/year). Zero functional issues at 48k miles. I just passed 28k on the Tiggy, it's been one of the most satisfying cars I've owned. Plenty of room in the back for skis (something the original Tiguan sorely lacked) and average mileage is around 26-27, with highs of 32 on the highway at moderate speeds. Great handling for a vehicle of this type (I did upgrade the summer wheels to 19's, kept the original 17's for snows)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Whatever you get, plan on it getting dinged up, whether rear-ended, run off the road, run into a car in a parking lot, etc. Teenagers are hard on cars. (I probably don't need to tell any of you that.) When my daughter starts driving in 6 months (oh dear God help me :eek: ) I plan on something stupid happening that will require using my insurance policy.

I'll be looking at a Mazda CX-5, 6, 3, or a Subie for her most likely. It's also possible she'll get a hand-me-down. AWD would be nice considering where we live. Fuel efficiency will also be a priority.

Muleski

Inactive
Ok, how's this...I'm in the car research mode, and this car will be used to support my ski/race season. I'm looking at:
  • Audi S3
  • Audi S4
  • Alfa Giulia (RWD preferred)

How are those recommendations for an SSV (Ski Support Vehicle)? :D

I would not go near the Alpha. I have one friend who owns a dealership, another who just had one replaced under the lemon law. Sexy car, but…..

i would not want to be anywhere in NE ski country with an “issue.”

So, with the Audi’s, are you thinking new? So, sedans? I’d probably lean toward the S4, of the two. But….it’s a nice car to be lugging ski stuff in. What are you doing…roof box?

We had an S4 Avant. My daughter has an A4 Allroad. Neither is very roomy. My daughter has a Packasport on the roof year round.

The S4 drank a lot of fuel. Premium fuel. On a weekend trip, that and the small tank would be an expensive pain in the neck. And it was just too small for us. Crowded cockpit. With winter “stuff.”

Now, having said that, we have an S4 cabrio. Driven less than 5K miles a year, and none in the winter. Fun. Ski car? Nope.

My daughter LOVES her car. Replaced an Alltrack that she also really liked. She bought the Allroad from her uncle, lightly used. Sold the Alltrack and made a killing.

I don’t know. S3 and S4 seem small and nice to be lugging around your race stuff and race skis. The S3….really neat, really fun, really quick….all good, but for me, not a ski vehicle.
And small.

Friend of mine just bought a new, leftover Volvo V90 wagon. Incredible deal, great car. They do not sell. Just don’t. Wagon. Price. His deal and car really impress me. I would also look hard at a tricked out Volvo V60. Have two friends in CO, absolute car nuts, who love them.

Another ski buddy went down this road, and ended up with a new truck. Never intended to. F150. If is REALLY nice and drives beautifully. And his wife loves it.

I’m guessing you have looked at the Tiguan, as noted above. Very good choice, IM

Buying cars sucks….to be honest! It really does. Our two primary cars have 152K and 156K miles for a reason, I guess!

Obviously I am no help! Good luck!

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would not go near the Alpha. I have one friend who owns a dealership, another who just had one replaced under the lemon law. Sexy car, but…..

i would not want to be anywhere in NE ski country with an “issue.”

So, with the Audi’s, are you thinking new? So, sedans? I’d probably lean toward the S4, of the two. But….it’s a nice car to be lugging ski stuff in. What are you doing…roof box?

We had an S4 Avant. My daughter has an A4 Allroad. Neither is very roomy. My daughter has a Packasport on the roof year round.

The S4 drank a lot of fuel. Premium fuel. On a weekend trip, that and the small tank would be an expensive pain in the neck. And it was just too small for us. Crowded cockpit. With winter “stuff.”

Now, having said that, we have an S4 cabrio. Driven less than 5K miles a year, and none in the winter. Fun. Ski car? Nope.

My daughter LOVES her car. Replaced an Alltrack that she also really liked. She bought the Allroad from her uncle, lightly used. Sold the Alltrack and made a killing.

I don’t know. S3 and S4 seem small and nice to be lugging around your race stuff and race skis. The S3….really neat, really fun, really quick….all good, but for me, not a ski vehicle.
And small.

Friend of mine just bought a new, leftover Volvo V90 wagon. Incredible deal, great car. They do not sell. Just don’t. Wagon. Price. His deal and car really impress me. I would also look hard at a tricked out Volvo V60. Have two friends in CO, absolute car nuts, who love them.

Another ski buddy went down this road, and ended up with a new truck. Never intended to. F150. If is REALLY nice and drives beautifully. And his wife loves it.

I’m guessing you have looked at the Tiguan, as noted above. Very good choice, IM

Buying cars sucks….to be honest! It really does. Our two primary cars have 152K and 156K miles for a reason, I guess!

Obviously I am no help! Good luck!

I know the Alfa is a risk, but life, ski racing, and German car ownership is a risk. :P Is the friend's Alfa dealer in NE?

I owned a 2000 A4, the dimensions of it are nearly identical to the current S3. While compact, I know I can live with the size having done it in the past. The trunk pass-through makes carrying skis easier until I get a roof coffin for it. Even though I am ~6'1", I tend to prefer smaller cars, I have a Miata for the summer and fit in it just right! I loved the size of my old A4, so I am leaning towards the S3, though the AWD system in the S3 is a little bit of a downer. It's the FWD-biased, Haldex system (AFAIK) as opposed to the rear-biased system in the S4.

Tiguan - Not an SUV person, they scream "soccer mom" to me. :D

Ultimately, what's on the market when I decide to buy may be the deciding factor.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Whatever you get, plan on it getting dinged up, whether rear-ended, run off the road, run into a car in a parking lot, etc. Teenagers are hard on cars. (I probably don't need to tell any of you that.) When my daughter starts driving in 6 months (oh dear God help me :eek: ) I plan on something stupid happening that will require using my insurance policy.

I'll be looking at a Mazda CX-5, 6, 3, or a Subie for her most likely. It's also possible she'll get a hand-me-down. AWD would be nice considering where we live. Fuel efficiency will also be a priority.
There's definitely a good argument for the first car being disposable but I can also understand why parents don't want to put their kids in a beater especially in snow country. My first car was my father's old Volvo that I crashed into a tree within 6 months. One brother got grandpas old Camry that blew it's transmission his first winter in Ithaca, other brother got an old beater Volvo 240 from one of my father's friends, he slid it into a curb in the snow, wrecking the suspension. Both brothers ended up with new Imprezas since they were going to school in snow country and one was still competing. Both got crashed when relatively new. Neither was their fault but...

Muleski

Inactive
I know the Alfa is a risk, but life, ski racing, and German car ownership is a risk. :P Is the friend's Alfa dealer in NE?

I owned a 2000 A4, the dimensions of it are nearly identical to the current S3. While compact, I know I can live with the size having done it in the past. The trunk pass-through makes carrying skis easier until I get a roof coffin for it. Even though I am ~6'1", I tend to prefer smaller cars, I have a Miata for the summer and fit in it just right! I loved the size of my old A4, so I am leaning towards the S3, though the AWD system in the S3 is a little bit of a downer. It's the FWD-biased, Haldex system (AFAIK) as opposed to the rear-biased system in the S4.

Tiguan - Not an SUV person, they scream "soccer mom" to me. :D

Ultimately, what's on the market when I decide to buy may be the deciding factor.

Guess you have it figured out. Congrats! Part of what makes this place interesting is the wide horizon of opinions….on everything! Lots of Audis in our extended family. The only one used as regular ski car is a Q7. Others are driving a Denali Suburban, an Expedition, and our Land Cruiser. Guess we suck at packing!

Dealer friend is in NE. Actually have two dealer friend/acquaintances who sell them. For now. As I recall, the Guilia Quadrifoglio is the one that is SO impressive and so problematic. And isn’t it a $70K car?

I can’t imagine that as a regular “ski car.”

My neighbor drives an AMG E63 wagon, to Maine, every weekend. The two guys who I know in CO BOTH have one in the garage. Not the ski or winter car. Both love cars, and are pretty understated. Love their Volvo V60’s in the winter…more than an XC60. The local neighbor clearly has a lot of his identity wrapped up in that car. My CO guys, nope.

So many car options out there!!!! And most are just so much better these days!

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Guess you have it figured out. Congrats!
Hah! Got you fooled!

Dealer friend is in NE. Actually have two dealer friend/acquaintances who sell them. For now. As I recall, the Guilia Quadrifoglio is the one that is SO impressive and so problematic. And isn’t it a $70K car?
I may request an intro in the future once car shopping turns to car buying.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Try looking at an R-line Black Edition Tiguan...and especially the cargo area...it may change your mind. Especially at $10k less than an S3

1630510652345.png

Last edited:

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Try looking at an R-line Black Edition Tiguan...and especially the cargo area...it may change your mind. Especially at $10k less than an S3
$10k buys a lot of skis and ski trips...
It's a nice, fast soccer mom car. :P There is only one SUV that would sway me into soccermomville:
1630512117862.png

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Mazda 3 is a pretty good small car. I have a 2015, bought in 2016 automatic front wheel drive Mazda 3 Sport. For this car, sport means hatch back. No turbo, just the GDI "Skyactive" (whatever that means) engine. It has enough power for passing (at normal altitudes) without being a "race" car. 130,000 kilometres on it now - no problems so far. Average fuel milage with the stock tires in summer and the Hakkas in winter is 6.4 L/100 km, but I think that might go up with the Micheline Pilot All Season 4's replacing the stock Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus last Monday. Decent in snow and ice with Hakka R2s. If you want ground clearance, look elsewhere. My son has a 2012, bought used, with the six speed manual and all the options. It's a fun car to drive too.

If you want a little larger vehicle, or if you want a small, but not micro, SUV, I would consider Mazda CX-5, Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV.

Mazda has changed a lot since 2015. The company has been going more upscale to fill the semi-luxury void between Toyota/Honda and Mercedes/BMW. I have a 2021 Mazda3 AWD Turbo sedan. Siting in the interior, you would (almost) think you were in a Mercedes. 250 HP with massive torque for a small car. It is very fun to drive, but I probably would not recommend giving it to a 16 year old. It also looks like a normal car, as compared to a WRX. Definitely a sleeper.

The trunk is surprisingly big. With rear seat folded down, fitting skis is not an issue. Haven’t had it in snow yet. I’m interested to see how the AWD does. The stock tires seem terrible, so I will likely replace those at some point.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Soccermomville.
It is no secret that I am a huge wagon fan. In my old neighborhood in PA, it was not uncommon for people to consult with me for what car to buy. A 40ish, rather tall, couple was expecting their first and ask for suggestions. they wanted something semi premium so I suggested a few Volvo, Audi and Benz wagon options. The wife was taken back as if I punched her in the throat and kicked their Labradoodle "I don't want a soccer mom car...I want an SUV". I said, lets take a ride over to the local soccer field and let me show what all the soccer moms are driving....all are premium SUV's! (I was on the Philadelphia main-line so of course they were premium SUV's). I touted all the logical reasons for the wagons, lower, better handling, MORE room. "Nope, not going to have it" she said, "I want to be higher, for better visability" I said, you do realize that you won't have much space behind you for the kid all of it's stuff. Again, would not have it. What did they buy? An Audi Q5. it was not uncommon watched them trying to cram the stroller, baby bags and crap little Cory needed to go to day care in. About a year later, they replaced the second car, with, you guessed it, a minivan.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
a 3 row SUV.... if the kid is going to dorm (and later an apartment) during college, the space for hauling items will be appreciated... not to mention beer runs to the beer distributor for parties.

My 88 Camry V6 (5-speed manual of course), was used for many beer runs for ASME "socials" on a "dry" campus, and the frame of the Formula SAE car somehow fit in the car, along with some people also to be welded properly...

no one on the formula SAE team had a SUV.

Sponsor

Staff online