• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Safety Idea thread...

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
From what I have witnessed it is snowboarders that take a higher amount of risk weather in the park or just on the slopes. I don't know if it is because the snowboarding population is younger and more willing to take risk or if it is a total disregard of any on slope etiquette. Most close calls I have had on the slopes or cruising through the park have been with snowboarders not skiers.
Yup, the whole neighborhood went to shit once the snowboarders moved in.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yup, the whole neighborhood went to shit once the snowboarders moved in.
I was skiing on Wednesday and the guy I was skiing with said let us just cruise through the park and I politely declined, I have no reason to go there.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
https://abc30.com/ski-china-peak-skier-killer-killed-fresno-skiing-death/11445417/

So sad. This should never have happened. The 33 year old firefighter was a beginner who went to the summit with friends on his first day on snow. Evidently he descended out of control and hit a tree. Quotes from that link above:

"The sheriff's office says De Anda, also known by his nickname, Joey, was traveling down a ski run with friends at the mountain ski resort when he struck a tree at about 12:40 pm.

He was wearing a helmet, but he was too severely injured in the crash to survive.

"It's a tragic situation," said Tim Cohee, the managing partner of China Peak Mountain Resort.

He said Joseph De Anda was at the top of the mountain - on the highest elevation China Peak has.

"This is a situation that never should have happened. You had a beginning skier, I was told yesterday it was his first day at a ski area," said Cohee."

SKIBUM 6

Putting on skis
Skier
Lights and sirens, dog parks aside, a good idea came up on that other safety thread: Colorful clothes, especially for smaller people (not just kids). The thread began with a video of a small child being taken out by an adult, and it was pretty clear that adult didn't see the child. Bright clothes may have prevented that.
Works for hunting! It would be cool to bring back the 70 & 80s colors!

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Works for hunting! It would be cool to bring back the 70 & 80s colors!
IMG_0228.jpg
Waterville Valley, April Fool's Day, 2018

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
What I posted recently:

Will repeat and expand on what I mentioned earlier. During days or times of day crowds are likely, resorts might stretch safety zone roping with draped policy banners across groomed slopes at problematic areas like at trails junctions and lift base areas or every few hundred feet on green and blue level groomed slopes. That would be a guarantied way to slow down not only those that understand policy but also those that don't or choose to ignore policy and common sense. This would of course anger some of those that prefer to ski fast though I doubt the rest of us would have much sympathy.

One objection would be, at larger resorts, that might require quite a bit more daily work for ski patrol and employees. A related issue would be some resort lawyers that tend to be paranoid of any changes to status quo, would likely advise against doing so when imagining lawsuits by people running into such that claim injuries.

Both issues could be mitigated by not doing so with usual few foot high pole in snow with roping like are used at lift mazes. By using adjustable height permanent sturdy poles outside trail edges, spanning taut ropes with dangling banners could be raised up as snow depth changed or crowds were low. The ropes would be say 8 feet off the snow so fully above any moving skiers. Since there would be no poles on the groomed snow slopes, this would also reduce opportunity of colliding with poles or tangling up with ropes. The banners with large policy lettering would be able to easily give if some out of control skied into them. There would be usual blocked pass-throughs where those entering would need to make a slow short right angle turn to move beyond. For fancier set-ups, this could all be automated with a solar cell charged battery powering a motorized rope pulley and pole height system that could quickly easily be adjusted.

Obviously more to consider but a wee creative thinking can go a long ways. The fact collisions have become a more serious issue in this liability crazy era ought to be reasons to accept paradigm shifts in approaches to solutions. Companies that provide ski resort equipment could make such tools off the shelf products reducing costs.

Chipped K2

Booting up
Skier
I used to joke that I was going to put mirrors on my helmet to see the out-of-control skiers trying to kill me from behind.

I also think a laser cannon mounted to my helmet to blast them before they rear-ended me would be good too.

Sponsor

Staff online