• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Safety Idea thread...

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
I figured with all the threads posted about ski code and stuff, we need a thread on safety ideas. I'll get this one started...

I think we need speed limits on groomers, them gosh dang ding dern snowboarders are the worst offenders. Ski Patrols could shoot radar in speed traps, and have sirens and lights on their helmets for full effect and safety when pulling them over. The extra revenue can help lower the cost of beer at ski areas.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It helps if they can put the terrain park someplace off to the side with a dedicated lift. Otherwise if the park's near the summit they hit their jump then BOMB straight down to the lift to get back to the park. If the Trauma Park is near the base they get off at the summit and BOMB straight down to the park rinse and repeat..

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Please, no.

How about select "family zone" trails where skiers and boarders keep their speed down and leave plenty of room for others?

I've come across many a bottom-of-the-hill novice run with signage requiring/advizing skiing slowly and cautiously.

I had a ski patrol pull me over at Hunter about 5 decades ago and rip half my lift ticket off. Said I was going too fast. Said if he caught me again he would take my ticket away altogether. I was in control and there were no other skies nearby. WAD: what a dick!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My Snow.jpg

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Lights and sirens, dog parks aside, a good idea came up on that other safety thread: Colorful clothes, especially for smaller people (not just kids). The thread began with a video of a small child being taken out by an adult, and it was pretty clear that adult didn't see the child. Bright clothes may have prevented that.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've said this before. When overtaking a snowboarder let them know you're there by using "on your toe side" or "on your heel side." Right and left don't work as well for boarders.
Pass them toe side... heel side is blind to them.. That said, they can't stop easily.. Whenever I stop (off to the side) to look back and see where my kid is at least one or three of them hit the snow because the lack the skills to turn or stop any other way..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you considered that higher beer prices could improve safety?

Just sayin'
Well the beer prices still matter at the end once you're done skiing. :) Plus, around here at least, if I see drunk skiers, they likely brought their own...

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Well the beer prices still matter at the end once you're done skiing. :) Plus, around here at least, when if I see drunk skiers, they likely brought their own...
True. Or a flask or joint in the gondola.

Oh, and FIFY.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
True. Or a flask or joint in the gondola.

Oh, and FIFY.
I feel like it's pretty rare when/where I ski actually... probably helps that Whitetail, where I've skied the most locally, is in a dry county. And that I tend to ski a lot more mornings than late afternoons and nights.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Have you considered that higher beer prices could improve safety?

Just sayin'
Yeah I put that into my ski safety beer algorithm model.... high beer prices, means less people drinking beer, means more people sking and not drinking beer, means more people on the hill. Lower beer prices, more people drink beer, everyone is more chill, everyone is more happy. This is what my model is telling me.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I feel like it's pretty rare when/where I ski actually... probably helps that Whitetail, where I've skied the most locally, is in a dry county. And that I tend to ski a lot more mornings than late afternoons and nights.

I have one word for you:

Killington

Maybe it should be Killington - weekends.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Yeah I put that into my ski safety beer algorithm model.... high beer prices, means less people drinking beer, means more people sking and not drinking beer, means more people on the hill. Lower beer prices, more people drink beer, everyone is more chill, everyone is more happy. This is what my model is telling me.
Keep telling yourself that!

Seems like it doesn't account for drinking on the lifts and in the gondola. For my personal frame of reference, see above.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Make beer free with a lift pass then encourage everyone to stay in the lodge drinking up their money's worth. Soon you have Oktoberfest near the snow and nice empty slopes for those that want to ski.

Sponsor

Staff online