• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Safety Idea thread...

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Make beer free with a lift pass then encourage everyone to stay in the lodge drinking up their money's worth. Soon you have Oktoberfest near the snow and nice empty slopes for those that want to ski.
You'll also have lots of yellow snow. Great decoration for easter.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do you have fast snowboarders? here they havent figured out howto point their board down the falline, a much bigger problem is boarders sitting down & chilling under rollers. Snowboards are basicly slow moving sideways objects.

most 6yo are faster than snowboarders here (and better)

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lights and sirens, dog parks aside, a good idea came up on that other safety thread: Colorful clothes, especially for smaller people (not just kids). The thread began with a video of a small child being taken out by an adult, and it was pretty clear that adult didn't see the child. Bright clothes may have prevented that.
This ^^^ orange is the color we are subconsciously trained to stay away from. If only I could get my daughter to wear orange pants, but guess looking cool is in right now.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Well the beer prices still matter at the end once you're done skiing.

And folks wonder why there are wrecks on the access road when trying to get home. We got stuck on the highway between Sugar and Boone for almost hour Tuesday. Wreck blocked the highway in both directions backed up for miles. Only other way around would have added at least 30 minutes.

A DWI checkpoint at the parking lot exit to the access road would make the experience safer for everyone as well.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
1641563675883.png

This ^^^ orange is the color we are subconsciously trained to stay away from. If only I could get my daughter to wear orange pants, but guess looking cool is in right now.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But the carnage will be brutal until most people decide they can't ski ungroomed slopes...................
But it will be slow speed carnage and everyone will survive to ski another day.

Grooming increases speeds by about 4X: a bumped up slope where the average skier can manage 10 mph, groom it and now they can easily do 40. 4X the speed increases kinetic energy by 16X. That's 16X the consequences when something goes wrong.

And I don't believe limited grooming would impact ticket sales. I see just as many people on the slopes in the morning as I do in the afternoon.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Before alcohol there were mentally challenged people. They still exist and alcohol only enhances these cretins acts of stupidity.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There's a guy who skis Rose and wears a full on safety yellow road crew coat and pants. You can see him through the mountain. I like bright colors. They are way easier to pick up, especially on flat/ low light days when people are close to the trees on the edge. We always hear that we should wear brighter colors and then the garment manufacturers come out with this year's blah brown-black-dark gray color scheme. I've been told I look like a tequila sunrise and I'm OK with that.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yesterday I was bright green, tomorrow I think I will go full yellow jacket and pants for a low visibilty pow day!

throwback to years ago, but does anyone remember the rossignol bright green pants/jacket with insulation? I rocked thoose for years, and got the nickname "hulk" even had green skis and boots, ironicly all because they were on sale and fit.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I think that the mountain should do what the swimming pools do, have an Adult Swim but on the mountain it would be an Adult Ski. All kids off the mountain for a set amount of time and just let the adults ski. Of course the age might have to be higher than what they use at a pool.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
1641575854283.png
1641575884250.png
1641575921005.png
1641576042599.png
1641576132252.png

They are out there. You just have to find them. (L-R top: first three Quiksilver, last one Helly. Second "row:" Helly)

But a huge market for mens' black, gray, and navy, despite other choices.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I think that the mountain should do what the swimming pools do, have an Adult Swim but on the mountain it would be an Adult Ski. All kids off the mountain for a set amount of time and just let the adults ski. Of course the age might have to be higher than what they use at a pool.

When I was a kid, you had to pass a swimming test in order to swim in the deep end. It was tough - required a rather long period of treading water, as well as some swimming, IIRC.

Couldn't possibly hurt.

I met some brand new skiers at my local hill the other day. They had come up, rented equipment, and ventured up a lift, with one very inexperienced "teaching" the other (never-ever). I explained to them where to find the bunny hill.

Safety hazards! But lovely people. I also taught the never-ever how to stop in her wedge.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Separator would probably better be skill level though, not age? we got some young kids that are fast and awesome and just rail on their FIS GS.

and in theory one would think we have green runs as a separator for that... yet I see people removing their skis and hugging the fence down on the black runs and red runs here...

16yo drivers here has to put a huge red L on their car so people around them know they are under training and it could be their very first time driving.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Please, no.

How about select "family zone" trails where skiers and boarders keep their speed down and leave plenty of room for others?

I've come across many a bottom-of-the-hill novice run with signage requiring/advizing skiing slowly and cautiously.

I had a ski patrol pull me over at Hunter about 5 decades ago and rip half my lift ticket off. Said I was going too fast. Said if he caught me again he would take my ticket away altogether. I was in control and there were no other skies nearby. WAD: what a dick!
I had a similar thing happen to me in the early 80's at Loon Mountain- me and a buddy were bombing a hill that had a nice roller that you would fly off for about 50' just a few feet off the ground- I landed and saw a safety patrol guy off to the side- so I threw in a couple of quick turns and continued to the lift. He was mighty pissed when he caught up with me and told me that 'catching air' was not allowed at Loon. So I whip out my trail map that has a picture of a guy catching some big air and I tell him that they should change the picture- :roflmao:
So he didn't know what to say then other than 'slow down'

I remember 'Family Zones' at place like Copper and Steamboat from years ago. The would always have a couple of safety guys standing at the sign telling people to slow down- and occasionally would chase after offenders that didn't.

Sponsor

Staff online