• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Safety Idea thread...

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
$100 off a season pass if you complete a written safety test and volunteer for a program where responsibilities includes checking on downed skiers, calling in the partrol for help or reporting reckless behavior, gently reminding guests of the code of conduct, helping visitors find their way around the mountain -- you know, the basic stuff everyone should be doing anyway.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
checking on downed skiers, calling in the partrol for help
I finally put Mt. Rose patrol's number in my phone this season. I used it yesterday for a lady who had fallen and yoinked her knee. I will have the patrol number in my phone for anywhere I ski from here on out. I get that service may not always be available but many times it may be.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally put Mt. Rose patrol's number in my phone this season. I used it yesterday for a lady who had fallen and yoinked her knee. I will have the patrol number in my phone for anywhere I ski from here on out. I get that service may not always be available but many times it may be.

Yep. On average I probably call the Mt Baker patrol 3-5 times a season. I've seen a broken shoulder, a few sprained knees, a snowboarder who got cliffed out, and a lost kid.

Once I had someone call the patrol on me. I dropped into the shop to get some goggles, but my wife thought I got stuck in a treewell somewhere, so she called me in missing. For the rest of the day whenever I got within 30 feet of a patroller, they'd come over and ask, "Are you Tom?" Then they'd get on the radio, "We found him! He is alright!"

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
$100 off a season pass if you complete a written safety test and volunteer for a program where responsibilities includes checking on downed skiers, calling in the partrol for help or reporting reckless behavior, gently reminding guests of the code of conduct, helping visitors find their way around the mountain -- you know, the basic stuff everyone should be doing anyway.
Years ago some mountains had what they called a Curiosity Patrol that did these samethings you are talking about. I don't know if they got any discounts on their pass but I do remember that they had a different color jacket than the Ski Patrol.

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
There's a guy who skis Rose and wears a full on safety yellow road crew coat and pants. You can see him through the mountain. I like bright colors. They are way easier to pick up, especially on flat/ low light days when people are close to the trees on the edge. We always hear that we should wear brighter colors and then the garment manufacturers come out with this year's blah brown-black-dark gray color scheme. I've been told I look like a tequila sunrise and I'm OK with that.
That’s a really good safty idea Andy. Only issue I have, when I wear bright colors like that and drinking beer, all the girls look at me, and I’m a married man I need to stay incognito, so I roll with black.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Close the lifts, have skiers and boarders hike up the slope (stairs of coarse).

Would get rid of all but the diehards even on the groomed slopes, additional it also filters out the unfit.

Do this for about 10years or so, only those that know how to ski snd understand the rules will have any equipment, restart the lifts.

ogwink

Uncle-A

Skier
Close the lifts, have skiers and boarders hike up the slope (stairs of coarse).

Would get rid of all but the diehards even on the groomed slopes, additional it also filters out the unfit.

Do this for about 10years or so, only those that know how to ski snd understand the rules will have any equipment, restart the lifts.

ogwink
That would cause a lot of heart attacks. Or you could just bring back rope tows:)

Uncle-A

Skier
That’s a really good safty idea Andy. Only issue I have, when I wear bright colors like that and drinking beer, all the girls look at me, and I’m a married man I need to stay incognito, so I roll with black.
That's funny::)

Reactions: Tex

Uncle-A

Skier
There's a guy who skis Rose and wears a full on safety yellow road crew coat and pants. You can see him through the mountain. I like bright colors. They are way easier to pick up, especially on flat/ low light days when people are close to the trees on the edge. We always hear that we should wear brighter colors and then the garment manufacturers come out with this year's blah brown-black-dark gray color scheme. I've been told I look like a tequila sunrise and I'm OK with that.
A few of the members that I have been lucky enough to meet up with can tell you that I ski in a bright yellow shell. I have a lot of other jackets and some have yellow accents but overall I like the all yellow. It is one of my oldest shell and I have another all yellow shell that is not as bright but it doesn't get the use of my favorite. This is it on a day skiing with my daughter and because it is a versatile shell there is probably a photo of me using it in the fishing thread.
IMG_20200213_120707_01.jpg

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have an interesting one, I just met one of the guys I ski with in the bigger mountains, he was skiiing here locally, he was just coming back from the medic office, he had experienced a crash.

He was on his 21M radius racetiger GS, skiiing a single lane side to side when he was swiped from behind by an out of control skier straightlining on the black run, with that radius your not going that fast side to side, but fairly fast down, but yet he was hit, he was unhurt but shook, other person was hurt. He was upset he didnt manage to avoid it, he registerd it as he came across the fall line and started to act on it, his concern and thoughts was that he could have done even more to avoided it swiveling even more when transitioning with head and blamed himself, eventhough it was not his fault he said he is experienced, and it shouldnt have happend. kinda interesting mindset differences here. statistical data, he is in his 50's very very good skier and predictable skier, never the fastest, or the slowest, but can rail any slopes on thoose racetigers on a carve with confidence.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
A few of the members that I have been lucky enough to meet up with can tell you that I ski in a bright yellow shell. I have a lot of other jackets and some have yellow accents but overall I like the all yellow. It is one of my oldest shell and I have another all yellow shell that is not as bright but it doesn't get the use of my favorite. This is it on a day skiing with my daughter and because it is a versatile shell there is probably a photo of me using it in the fishing thread.
View attachment 154309
Awesome with the color scheme on your skis (red skies, chartreuse bindings)! They'll see you coming!

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
It helps if they can put the terrain park someplace off to the side with a dedicated lift. Otherwise if the park's near the summit they hit their jump then BOMB straight down to the lift to get back to the park. If the Trauma Park is near the base they get off at the summit and BOMB straight down to the park rinse and repeat..

That's a brillant idea, kinda like a dog park.
Some years ago I posted a picture of me, I think it was on Epic, at the entrance of the Snow Park at the nearest (to my home) ski hill...it was on one side of a lift, its length equal to that on the lifts, so I was akin to a completely separated area.
The park was called "Monkey Park".
Edit: it might appear derogatory in English, but "monkey" (or "Little monkey") in italian is ab affectionate term of endearment for children. As the park was targeted at youngster...the name.
Before alcohol there were mentally challenged people. They still exist and alcohol only enhances these cretins acts of stupidity.
Here in Italy alcohool assumption is now, since Jan 1st, forbidden to skiers/borders/etc whilst still perusing a piste.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Some years ago I posted a picture of me, I think it was on Epic, at the entrance of the Snow Park at the nearest (to my home) ski hill...it was on one side of a lift, its length equal to that on the lifts, so I was akin to a completely separated area.
The park was called "Monkey Park".
Edit: it might appear derogatory in English, but "monkey" (or "Little monkey") in italian is ab affectionate term of endearment for children. As the park was targeted at youngster...the name.

Here in Italy alcohool assumption is now, since Jan 1st, forbidden to skiers/borders/etc whilst still perusing a piste.
A few bad apples spoil it for everyone. Years ago you could have an open container(alcohol) while boating. Now no way,too many stupid people making bad decisions changed that.

Uncle-A

Skier
See you aren't fit enough to ski.....:geek: Tow ropes and frozen wool mitts to hold onto the rope.
I posted a few days ago that the pandemic has had me in my recliner too much, so yes I need to get in better shape. But it doesn't stop me from getting out there and taking a few runs.

Uncle-A

Skier
I thought that a small side view mirror for each side of my ski helmet would be nice. I have seen the cycle people have something like that for their helmets. Maybe some of the bike guys can comment.

Reactions: Tex

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mt Snow has Carinthia for all it's parks with their own lifts totally separate from the main mountain. I don't recall the mayhem I often see and experience at Killington. I've almost been taken out three times so far this year except for my cat-like reflexes ( ;) ), once by a very experienced skier that apologized and twice by snowboarders, one didn't even know what he did (too close passing me on his heel side) and the other proceeded to tell me I should chill out. That did not end well verbally, but nothing physical. But Killington does have their family area over on Ramshead with child care and no alcohol, and Snowshed for beginners and lessons, so good for them.

Maybe I should wear brighter colors, but at 6'6" I'm hard to miss. Besides, I wear X-Large Tall clothes that come in every fun color you'd want!

What if all skis came with yellow or orange bases and topsheets? The "glow in the snow" is hard to miss, but @James will not be thrilled.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do we assume the color array covers the full range of black --> gray plus some shades of brown?
Yes, those plus red and blue. So I can look like mountain personnel. To break that up, I got some khaki pants last year to go with my blue "blazer". Full disclosure: they're Burton cargo pants that come in XLT with enough room in the thighs. At least the Forza Pivot bindings have some color pop for safety.
1641761622520.png

Sponsor