• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Safety Idea thread...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So I can look like mountain personnel.
I was at Aspen last year wearing this:

1641766751428.png

And here's what Aspen instructors wear:

1641766517309.png

I had someone come up to me to ask how to get to a particular lift or run a couple of times. Thankfully, I knew my way around OK. :P But I think I'll bring a different outfit this year.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We had an interesting one today, on the steepest section, under a roller on the black run on the narrow side between fence and lift mast, someone decided to jump the fence an do rando ( we have dedicated places closed off on same hill you can go.. they decided not to go there and thought it was to steep. to illustrate steepnees, with normal clothing and carving you will have 50-55 there on a R20, when straightlineing you have 60++ easy. its 31 degrees'ish, they didnt bring their irons, hence the traverseing.

There was some very very close calls due to this, they did it 1 hour before closing, very few people on the slope, and thoose people were hauling ass. After nearly beeing hit by everyone going on the narrow side "culour" they decided to traverse the entire hill, still under the roller not visible to anyone. They didnt do it where 1 was uphill from another to take the least space possble but instead, in a line line tight enough you couldnt go inbetween but had to go in front of back or back. Meaning you couldnt have room for a single downed skier or two in your plan, but a darn entourage, ref traverse with skis on.

There was a few people needing medic as they miscalculated bumps (bumps in that area as resort had been open for 11 hours on weekend and steep ) when trying to avoid them. Resort people, medic and liftie and other people doing randonee there regularly were impressed with them... . A friend is getting his X-rays and CTs done now , he was telemarking and caught a bump to rear throwing him off as he panicked a bit when he saw them and miscalculated . They managed to cause about 10ish falls and a LOT of calls/upset people before they were stopped.

But hey.. always the uphillers fault right.

It does illustrate the be ready for anything point... though

Last edited:

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another sad story of a death due to hitting a tree this last weekend - this one a snowboarder.

Frankly, until a short while ago, I had not realized quite how dangerous/deadly it could be to hit a tree at speed. I remember from many years ago about Sonny Bono but it hadn't really sunk in. Now I'm older, I shudder at the ways in which something could go wrong ...

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This is sad and a reminder that speed when someone is out of control is deadly. It should be noted that he was snowboarding not skiing the article doesn't make that distinction in the headline.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
It helps if they can put the terrain park someplace off to the side with a dedicated lift. Otherwise if the park's near the summit they hit their jump then BOMB straight down to the lift to get back to the park. If the Trauma Park is near the base they get off at the summit and BOMB straight down to the park rinse and repeat..

That's a brillant idea, kinda like a dog park.
At the same time maybe have a terrain park pass, so everyone that loves to hate on them stays out of them. Plenty of accidents happen due to people using it as a standard run, or standing in the landing with their 5 year old.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Plenty of accidents happen due to people using it as a standard run, or standing in the landing with their 5 year old.
Really? Based on what? I always thought most park injuries were probably people doing tricks. The few sleds I've seen coming out of parks usually seem to be kids/teens anyway. I've cruised through the parks at a few places a fair amount, and haven't ever seen or heard issues with non-park users getting injured (i.e. those just skiing through or watching people do tricks). But I don't necessarily ski at the busiest times.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Really? Based on what? I always thought most park injuries were probably people doing tricks. The few sleds I've seen coming out of parks usually seem to be kids/teens anyway. I've cruised through the parks at a few places a fair amount, and haven't ever seen or heard issues with non-park users getting injured (i.e. those just skiing through or watching people do tricks). But I don't necessarily ski at the busiest times.
Based on I spend 50% of my non-pow days in the park. The amount of close calls I see due to people being unaware of etiquette in the park is astounding. People who ride park are not obtuse to the risks they are taking to progress that skillset. People who don't but decide to treat it as a normal run, or a place to taker their little kids are the majority of the time.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Based on I spend 50% of my non-pow days in the park. The amount of close calls I see due to people being unaware of etiquette in the park is astounding. People who ride park are not obtuse to the risks they are taking to progress that skillset. People who don't but decide to treat it as a normal run, or a place to taker their little kids are the majority of the time.
From what I have witnessed it is snowboarders that take a higher amount of risk weather in the park or just on the slopes. I don't know if it is because the snowboarding population is younger and more willing to take risk or if it is a total disregard of any on slope etiquette. Most close calls I have had on the slopes or cruising through the park have been with snowboarders not skiers.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
From what I have witnessed it is snowboarders that take a higher amount of risk weather in the park or just on the slopes. I don't know if it is because the snowboarding population is younger and more willing to take risk or if it is a total disregard of any on slope etiquette. Most close calls I have had on the slopes or cruising through the park have been with snowboarders not skiers.
Come to a western resort.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I was at Aspen last year wearing this:

View attachment 154475

And here's what Aspen instructors wear:

View attachment 154473

I had someone come up to me to ask how to get to a particular lift or run a couple of times. Thankfully, I knew my way around OK. :P But I think I'll bring a different outfit this year.
Like wearing a red T-shirt at Target.

• Haha
Reactions: Tex
TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
We need Chuck Norris to sit at the top of the hill and shoot the skiers going too fast.. :ogbiggrin:

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
what color/gradient hills people should be able to go fast on ? what is fast?

followup, my friend broke his wrist avoiding the people doing randonee in resort under the roller wher they were not allowed.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another sad story of a death due to hitting a tree this last weekend - this one a snowboarder.

Frankly, until a short while ago, I had not realized quite how dangerous/deadly it could be to hit a tree at speed. I remember from many years ago about Sonny Bono but it hadn't really sunk in. Now I'm older, I shudder at the ways in which something could go wrong ...
I have nightmares about tree strikes.

Sponsor

Staff online