• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Salomon Bold vs Stöckli AR ?

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Here in the east I have been a solid Salomon Bold fan for the last two years and use it for my daily driver and love it. After reading the never ending Stockli post(s) I was curious how does the AR compare to the Bold. Like many here I am always looking for something new to add to the quiver.
I have the 19/20 AX that I take out on some days and love it as well. I am curious if anyone has driven both the Bold and the AR and can compare them in a hard snow environment? Also any graphic changes for 2022?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Here in the east I have been a solid Salomon Bold fan for the last two years and use it for my daily driver and love it. After reading the never ending Stöckli post(s) I was curious how does the AR compare to the Bold. Like many here I am always looking for something new to add to the quiver.
I have the 19/20 AX that I take out on some days and love it as well. I am curious if anyone has driven both the Bold and the AR and can compare them in a hard snow environment? Also any graphic changes for 2022?
My husband owns both the Bold and AR. He skied the Bold exclusively last season. (I hate saying this over and over again, but a lot of new members here don't know this-he's a level 3 instructor.) I say that just to give you an idea that the man knows how to ski. He's also been a shop employee tuning skis for nearly 25 years, so he gets to participate in industry demo days so gets on quite a few different skis every season (except this year. No demo days.) He got on the Bolds 2 seasons ago and was smitten, so bought a pair immediately. I wish I had video of him and the Salomon rep out there laying down railroad tracks in synch. It was a hoot to watch the two of them ripping down the hill together. This season, he was able to get some ARs because he skied them during last season's demo days and was again wowed. He's been skiing the ARs mostly this season. The Bolds are 177, the ARs are 182. He took the Bolds out this past weekend and was reminded why he loves that ski so much. He likes them both for different reasons. The Bolds are quicker, the wide shovel and square tail appeal to his style of skiing. They're on the smoother side of things, yet very powerful. The ARs just have that special Stockli feel--smooth and damp, but they are slower to turn (they are longer which explains part of that.) I do wonder if he'd prefer them in the 175, which is a bit short for him but especially for teaching, the 182 is probably a bit long.

He has commented that he thinks he should have gotten the AX, because the AR and the Bold are in the same wheelhouse. Both are superb skis but the overlap in their use is too much. Not sure if that helps you much. I think he'd tell you to look to the narrower side to compliment the Bolds. I will also add that he skis the same ski every day, powder, groomers, crud, doesn't matter. Either ski works well for him in those conditions.

TS
noggin

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi Amy Thank you. This was exactly what I was looking for. I have been following all the Bold posts here on ST. I do love the Bolds like your husband and I apprecuiate you passing on his thoughts on this. All the best and stay safe!

TS
noggin

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Do you think that make the Lasers AR, I have the AX's, more of a cruiser than the Bold or does it ramp up with speed?

Sponsor