• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Salomon Jackets

Igotsoul4u

Booting up
Skier
Anyone have any experience with Salamon ski clothes? I am looking at the Brilliant Jacket. Seems to be mid range price wise. I am having a hard time believing it will actually be warm. Do the thinner coats actually work or do you need layer madness?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I don't find the Salomon stuff warm at all. I've been through 3 suits. The last one I haven't even worn. It's going up for sale. So when I did wear the other 2, it was at Whistler or spring in the east.

TS
I

Igotsoul4u

Booting up
Skier
I ended up returning it. Thanks for the heads up. Went with a Spyder Leader. Hopefully it will work out.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
LOL, part of this is where one skis - I wore a Salomon light-weight outer for about 5 seasons; worked fine for CO, UT and even BC. It was windproof enough for the top of Breckinfridge and LL, and wet resistant enough for Whistler.

No way would I wear it in QC tho; even the full-Avalanche/Karbon insulated instructors would stop in the sun instead of shade when they had to stop.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I wore my last suit in Whistler at the Gathering in 2017, I did have a down sweater underneath. Think I took the heavy fleece lower base layer too. Salomon designs their products in France, so not generally as cold as north america.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've got a Salomon 3 in 1 from about 2010 that's BLAZING hot with the fleece liner. I never use it with the liner because its too hot. But that's not the product we're talking about right now. Definitely varies depending on which model..

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So Salomon and Arc'Teryx are owned by the same company. In fact when you go to the Arc'Teryx outlet store they carry both brands. Salomon is the more economical of the two brands and typically on the lower end of performance as compared t their sibling brand, but they do have some nice pieces that hold their own. That said in the PNW I am a big fan of three layer Gortex, so that is a must for us.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Highly recommend shopping by feature rather than brand. Most brands are going to have fairly comprehensive line plan with light / medium / heavy insulation, plus shells, and a range of membranes and outer fabrics. Some brands will specialize (like Arc'teryx for shells or others for highly insulated garments), but every brand will likely carry something that won't serve you.

But if you're looking for warmth, both look like good options, with the Spyder slightly edges it out. Both use 100gsm polyfill insulation, which is generally the highest offered for adults' ski gear (kids' tend to go a little higher). Some brands offer a warmer option, but switch to goose down to keep the jacket from being too bulky. The Salomon uses Primaloft Black while the Spyder one uses Primaloft Silver, which has a higher warmth-to-weight ratio.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Highly recommend shopping by feature rather than brand.

Any idea about a shell jacket with a back pocket? Brand does not matter but I need this badly.

I quite like how the Obermeyer Stout looks but these do not seem to be available in Europe and then they are insulated.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any idea about a shell jacket with a back pocket? Brand does not matter but I need this badly.

I quite like how the Obermeyer Stout looks but these do not seem to be available in Europe and then they are insulated.

I do not. From what I understand, it was a trend that came and went before I was part of the adult market. I know of 1-2 insulated models that still include them, but for shells, they seem at odds with the touring boom. There's pretty high odds that the shell customer is going to be touring, riding inbounds with avy gear, or otherwise sporting a small pack. Most brands are making their shoulder seams "pack friendly" (raglan or off-set, so that the pack doesn't have pressure right on top of the shoulder seams). and a pretty clean back panel.

I don't see that trend changing anytime soon, so if it's a feature you highly value, I'd look at good condition vintage, or finding a tailor that specializes in technical fabrics to add one custom.