• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Salomon shift pro boot for touring

Brent.Nass

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello,
I am keen to get into your touring. What is everyone’s thoughts on Salomon shift pro 130AT? I usually ride a 130 so am keen for a stiff touring boot once engaged for ski
question I have is does the walk mode let it flex enough? Or should o look at the 120?

let me know your thoughts

cheers
Brent

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have the shift pro 120 AT and the walk mode is very good. The walk mode on the 130 should be just as flexible as the hinge design and function is identical and works well. The shift pro 120 AT is fairly stiff when switched in downhill mode. I previously used the Dalbello Pantera AT boot and the shift pro 120 walk mode is much more flexible. Excellent boots!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello,
I am keen to get into your touring. What is everyone’s thoughts on Salomon shift pro 130AT? I usually ride a 130 so am keen for a stiff touring boot once engaged for ski
question I have is does the walk mode let it flex enough? Or should o look at the 120?

let me know your thoughts

cheers
Brent
As @ZionPow mentioned, within a certain model line, the walk mode will be identical, regardless of which flex/level you are looking at.
There might be a difference in weight (cheaper model heavier) which would mean it is worse on the uphill.
Sometimes the liner is differnt which might have an effect on the walking comfort too.

In short, normally we wouldn’t expect the cheaper model to walk better than the higher end one.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am keen to get into touring. What is everyone’s thoughts on Salomon shift pro 130AT? I usually ride a 130 so am keen for a stiff touring boot once engaged for skiing.

The question I have is: does the walk mode let it flex enough?

The problem with both those things is that they are very subjective.

Of course we would all love a fairly stiff, supportive boot on the way down. However, those boots will not be as nice on the way up (which is a much larger part of your day).

In short, no one can answer for you whether a certain boot is ‘good enough’ for you, on the way up or on the way down.

All we can offer is a comparison to another boot (or ski or binding).

The best you can do is be clear and honest (with yourself) about where and how you will ski, and what is important to you.

Do you only enjoy skiing if you are making great turns, at high speed, even in poor snow? don’t mind working hard on the uphill?
Then get a beefy set up.

Do you want to cover long distances, and want to enjoy the uphill? Willing to slow it down in the descent? Get a lightweight set up.

Where you ski matters too. In wide open slopes with good snow (corn or powder) any ski and boot will ski great.

But, in poor snow, in steep, tight terrain, the difference will be much bigger.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
“Compared to other freeride touring boots (i.e. Dynafit Hoji Free, Scarpa Maestrale XT, Atomic Hawx), the Salomon SHIFT Pro 130 is the most downhill oriented.

It skis most similar to a traditional alpine boot, yet it also has the most limited range of motion and heaviest overall weight“

In short, unless you have a lot of experience with various lighter and heavier options, I would not pick this as a touring boot, just because it is so far to the extreme end of the spectrum.

As a 50/50 resort touring boot? That would make more sense.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I tried it and there's no way it skis better then the hoji 130, which btw tours well too

TS
B

Brent.Nass

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I tried it and there's no way it skis better then the hoji 130, which btw tours well too
sorry for the slow reply I am back looking at new touring boots. I am looking at the hoji 130. Do you really like? could you use as a power ski boot for resort side coutry or would you use as a second touring boot.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I use it as my only bc touring boot, 5,000 ft days regularly, and sidecountry as well.