• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
So long as my Stockli’s continue to be made by Swiss elves drinking ambrosia... Who cares about the other brands?

:duck:

And @Tony S, a quick Google search shows that there are Campagnolo parts made in Romania. Maybe not as horrifying as China, but still — not Italy.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don’t think any of Salomon’s skiing products are made in France anymore. Amer Sports closed Salomon’s ski factory at Rumilly in Haute-Savoie in 2008 and moved production to Atomic’s factory at Altenmarkt in Austria and the newly acquired Pamporovo ski factory at Chepelare in Bulgaria. Pamporovo Ski AD had been an Atomic subcontractor since 1980, they also sold skis under the Orion brand https://www.orionski.com/07_08/en/history.htm

In 2009 Amer Sports started to build a new factory on the outskirts of Chepelare. Together the old and new factories have the capacity to make around 1 million pairs of alpine / nordic skis per annum.

Hope you enjoy the factory tour.

Alpine ski design and development is split between Salomon’s R&D center in Annecy and Altenmarkt.

If it says “Made in Austria” on your Atomic / Salomon skis it is likely that they were made in Altenmarkt, if not they were more than likely made in Chepelare. Unfortunately, Austria has not defined any rules for the use of the "Made in Austria" designation of origin.

Here in Switzerland there are clearly defined rules on the use of the “Swiss made” designation. There are some exceptions, but in general at least 60% of the cost price (including R&D costs) must be realized in Switzerland.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yup. I know that.

Yeah, my German Audi was made in Spain. LOL.

I think for a long time, though, the flagship skis were made in France. Still true? Guessing it is.

VAG owns SEAT in Spain

(Retail) Race stock Rossi’s have been coming from the Spanish factory since the 17-18 season based on my Rossi slaloms

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nordica skis are made in Mittersill Austria.
Where Montebelluna Italy is the source of many ski boot brands. Mittersill is for skiing too with Blizzard, Nordica (same factory), Augment and Kastle's skunk werks being there. This along with a few brands sourcing thier skis from Mittersill based factories.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And Bulgaria

626DDBE2-6218-4A8B-86FD-3486CD9A33B7.jpeg

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Where Montebelluna Italy is the source of many ski boot brands. Mittersill is for skiing too with Blizzard, Nordica (same factory), Augment and Kastle's skunk werks being there. This along with a few brands sourcing thier skis from Mittersill based factories.

I don’t think you can compare Mittersill with Montebelluna. There are currently around 400 companies with about 6,000 employees in the Montebelluna sports footwear cluster. In the 1970s around 10,000 people employed in the ski boot segment alone, since the 1990s a lot of ski boot production has been moved to eastern Europe. As well as the major sports footwear brands, lots of raw material, component and machinery suppliers are also located in and around Montebelluna.

The Blizzard / Nordica ski factory in Mittersill employs 230 people and produces around 300,000 pairs p.a. (a further 100,000 are produced in the Ukraine) Augment employs less than 20. and produces 6000 pairs. I don’t think there are any other ski manufactures in the area or raw material, component and machinery suppliers. Kästle’s “skunk werks” is located about 180 miles away in Hohenems.

Sponsor

Staff online