• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Anywho, enough dreaming about quiver killing with the great Solly Warden demo binding.

I've noticed a weird behavior on Warden heels on step in a few times this season. If the heel is not aligned, you can step down and "in" to the binding and have the small tab on the heel cup be the only thing that catches. Typically you notice right away and have to re-step in. I've done this a half dozen times in ten days of skiing (I'm in/out of skis frequently most days).

But what is weird is that with boots with replaceable soles it is possible to catch that little tab between the clog and the sole and pivot the boot into a "normal" and skiable position. I know this I had a very confused skier who called patrol because they were unable to release their binding or get out of it at all at the bottom of the hill. I had to teach them how to intentionally laterally release the toe to get them out. The tab was wedged right between the replaceable sole and the clog. I tested doing this myself and was able to recreate. And no...not because the boots were in horrible shape.

Not a big deal, but just a little FYI to those who may experience such behavior. Your binding isn't defective or setup wrong, it's just a bit of a wide-envelope for the step in design. Remedy? Pay a modicum of attention to stepping in.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
"if someone built the most complicated binding ever, with multiple additional SKU's for shim kits that need to be stocked and made it so I could cheaply use it on multiple pairs of skis, I'd be willing to pay a slight premium."

... that'll convince a product manager. Get it done Phil!!!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
"if someone built the most complicated binding ever, with multiple additional SKU's for shim kits that need to be stocked and made it so I could cheaply use it on multiple pairs of skis, I'd be willing to pay a slight premium."

... that'll convince a product manager. Get it done Phil!!!

Never said anything about shim kits. I was dreaming of a binding that has adjustable heel and toe heights via a couple turns of a screw just like we change the release settings and AFD height. Then include a simple "interface" (call it a plate or a rail or whatever) that allows the heel and toe units to slide easily onto the ski. I agree with Phil that this will never see the light of day, but it would be nice if we could at least get all binding manufacturers to adopt the zero delta standard and allow all fore/aft stance alignment to be done at the boot.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That would be utopia. But since we don't live in Utopia, its not going to happen. You say the world need this but the world does not want it. There are maybe tens of people who will truly benefit from this, half are sponsored and do not pay for their gear, a third will wait for it to go on sale and the rest have a binding loyalty You are talking about adding more weight, complexity and a disconnect and still with performance to the ski and keep the interfaces reasonable? How many peices of gear have you walked into a shop and bought at regular price in the past 5 years? Not on sale, not on closeout, not via a connection?

We are talking a segment of the industry that is right above poles in that the average retail paying consumer does not even want to think about and is more concerned wit what color matches the ski more than what brake width does.
It would be interesting to know the market stats on how many skiers own their skis vs. rent. Then how many own more than one pair of skis, or three or four where switchable bindings get compelling. And of those skiers, how many are comfortable switching their bindings vs. more comfortable just buying another pair?

I totally see how the economics of switchable bindings doesn't make sense as much as I'd love them.

jec84

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
It would be interesting to know the market stats on how many skiers own their skis vs. rent. Then how many own more than one pair of skis, or three or four where switchable bindings get compelling. And of those skiers, how many are comfortable switching their bindings vs. more comfortable just buying another pair?

I totally see how the economics of switchable bindings doesn't make sense as much as I'd love them.
Following up on this, I was curious if any of the tech experts here can comment if all of the Warden demo variants use the same tracks

I just purchased a new pair of skis premounted with Warden 11 non MNC demo bindings and I have gripwalk boots, which I don't intend to change to din soles for ease of lugging my family's stuff around and grabbing the car while they are waiting at the drop. I would also prefer not to redrill the skis, so

Can I purchase a pair of MNC Warden 11 bindings and simply slide the toes and heels onto the non MNC demo track? I am assuming the track piece/part is the same regardless of mnc/non mnc certification for both Warden 11 variants

By extension, can I use Warden 13 heel and toe pieces on the demo track rails for the Warden 11 non multinorm bindings currently on the skis?

I've spent the past hour reviewing past season Salomon parts catalogues with no luck before I stumbled upon this thread/forum. Thanks all

James

Out There
Instructor
^ Good luck with that. Prob can purchase just the toe and heel pieces since some shops sold them, though they were meant for skis with tracks mounted at factory. This may have happened only in Europe, but it did.

It’s next to impossible to just buy the tracks.

Honestly, it may in the end be easier to buy these at $131. Remove the whole shebang.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Honestly, it may in the end be easier to buy these at $131. Remove the whole shebang.

That is a great price for a very good binding, so yeah this is a better solution than messing with tracks.

jec84

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Following up on this, I was curious if any of the tech experts here can comment if all of the Warden demo variants use the same tracks

I just purchased a new pair of skis premounted with Warden 11 non MNC demo bindings and I have gripwalk boots, which I don't intend to change to din soles for ease of lugging my family's stuff around and grabbing the car while they are waiting at the drop. I would also prefer not to redrill the skis, so

Can I purchase a pair of MNC Warden 11 bindings and simply slide the toes and heels onto the non MNC demo track? I am assuming the track piece/part is the same regardless of mnc/non mnc certification for both Warden 11 variants

By extension, can I use Warden 13 heel and toe pieces on the demo track rails for the Warden 11 non multinorm bindings currently on the skis?

I've spent the past hour reviewing past season Salomon parts catalogues with no luck before I stumbled upon this thread/forum. Thanks all
Year later, but just in case anyone was wondering, the Warden 11 MNC demo & non MNC demo do in fact use the same tracks

I'm a lighter weight intermediate to advanced male (5'10" 145lbs 39 y/o). Grew up going on weekend trips with friends but not from a skiing family & never took it very seriously. After a 15 year break post college, got back into it about 5 years ago. Most of my time is split between Okemo & Mt Snow (NYC based), with 1 or 2 trips out West a year and often a long weekend at Stowe. I like to ski at decent pace with mid to large turns on hard groomed snow but tend to slow down on heavy traffic weekends and am still a bit tentative and moderate my speed with short turns on 3d snow and steeps/bumps

Currently on Kastle LX73 172 (17m) & '23 Rustler 9 in 172 (15.5m) with Lange RX120 LV, Intuition Dreamliners & Lange camlock strap from RS130. Also ditched the GW for standard Alpine DIN soles, the GW actually made it more difficult to walk around the base (25.5, 296 BSL). The LX73 were previously skiied with the Warden 11 non MN demo & I purchased a Warden 11 MNC demo along a month ago which was mounted on the Rustlers by Boot Pro in Ludlow. I believe Warden 11 MNC demo has less delta than the non MN demo but I have not been on the non MN so far this year so cannot compare. The toe/heel pieces slide seamlessly between the two tracks and I can also play around with mounting points. I've found it makes a noticeable difference on the LX73, a bit less so on the Rustler

By doing the above, I can fit both pairs of skis with bindings removed + poles in a ski sleeve built for 1 pair of 170mm skis. I then put this ski sleeve on top of a 4 wheel roller suitcase and push a stroller with my other hand. Boots and helmet are in a transpack backpack and binding heel/toe are wrapped in bubblewrap and in the suitcase. My wife drags her snowboard roller bag (with her boots inside) with one hand and rolls her suitcase with the other, while I roll the baby around and everyone is happy. I already have 6 days at Okemo this year, and will have 8 days after this upcoming weekend at Mt Snow (plans may possibly shift back to Okemo for this weekend depending on weather as the week progresses)

Now I'm wondering if the new Strive 11 demos fit on the same demo track as Warden 11s to experiment with a lower stand height in variable snow on the Rustlers. Anyone know this answer to this one?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January