• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I measured a set of Salomon Warden 13 shop demos (not DT?) this season, I got 28 mm toe and 30 mm heel, close to Phil's DT measurement.

On their website at some point this season, or in their manual, not sure which, Atomic gave the Warden MNC 13 retail fixed binding a single 26 mm height, and at the same time, their Warden 13 DT (demo) a 27 mm height, which would fit Phil's toe measurement.

I couldn't figure out what they were measuring with this 27 mm (toe? Heel? BC?). But this does indicate that with the Warden 13 demo, there is a pretty close match of the demo binding height and the height most skiers would be on once they bought a ski and used the Salomon or Atomic retail fixed binding.
(Often, these heights are different, sometimes by as much as a cm.)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For comparison, this season the Tyrolia Attack2 AT D (shop demo binding) I measured at 30 mm toe, 32 mm heel.

I got the same measurement for a pair of Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW D (demo), 30 mm toe, 32 mm heel.

Same measurement with a pair of Tyrolia/Head PRD 12 bindings, 30 mm toe, 32 mm heel.
(There are other spec PRD 12 bindings out there also: GW, MBS, that are listed at 33.5 mm height.)

By contrast, the Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW fixed (retail) binding was 15 mm toe, 17 mm heel, measured. A pretty large difference in height.

A retail fixed set of Tyrolia Attack2 14 AT were listed as 24 mm height (website or catalog, can't recall which).

And there is another spec Tyrolia demo model also (from only prior to this past season maybe?), of Tyrolia Attack2 13 demo bindings, the one most often sold retail when requested by a skier in the past, and one I saw for sale new this month as a past year model on the walls of several different ski shop retailers, at 21 mm toe, 23 mm heel, measured.)

If a Tyrolia Attack2 13 demo is advertised for sale on eBay, this is the likely binding, unless it says "AT".

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
We're missing the discussion of HOW to properly measure delta. IMHO, this must be done with the boot in the binding using a digital caliper. The caliper must be held at a right angle to the ski base. This may mean that the surfaces you are measuring will need to be "extended" out so that the caliper can be held correctly for an accurate measurement. Extending the boot sole surface or ski surfaces requires using perfectly straight/square sheets of metal or plastic. I can post pictures if this isn't clear, but the point is that getting an accurate measurement requires more care.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^^^^^^^Mostly, to me this sounds promising, and good luck.

It is maybe somewhat like an option a group of us discarded tentatively, for now; but, hey, probably a lot of wholesale and retail outlets have been wrestling with this binding measurement stuff recently, more acutely, partly because of all the shifting model and boot sole norms, and have not come up with good alternatives yet either, so far, as near as I can tell, including the two shops I'm involved with as a friend.

Lots of issues here, though.

604Sean

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am looking at Moment Wildcat's and Kore 117's. Both are the same underfoot, but in terms of bindings, I'd be looking at 130mm which seems quite excessive. Is there a creative way to make a 115mm binding work on a 117mm ski, or is there a decent 120mm binding out there??

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I am looking at Moment Wildcat's and Kore 117's. Both are the same underfoot, but in terms of bindings, I'd be looking at 130mm which seems quite excessive. Is there a creative way to make a 115mm binding work on a 117mm ski, or is there a decent 120mm binding out there??

115 will work fine on either of them. You probably won't have to bend them, but even if you do, a mm on each side is nothing.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

It is VERY easy to switch brakes on most bindings. That said you can easily use a 115mm brake on a 117mm ski. You will probably not even have to bend the brake at all. Dont worry bout it.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You will probably not even have to bend the brake at all. Dont worry bout it.
Well, check it, so worry a tiny bit.
I've been on demo skis (not recently, and not one of Phil's) where the brake scraped slightly on the sidewall and did not always deploy.

But yeah, required bending, if any, will not be a problem.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Try if first, as others have said, then, if problems, get it bent. The bend is fairly easy, if it turns out to be needed in your particular case. This slight amount probably won't cause problems, but in my experience it's best to have a shop you regularly work with for bending these: when a bend is required or preferred, very often the brake unit breaks, even if it's a shop doing it. If a shop knows you, they will probably suck it up and just try again with another out of their stock, no charge. (At least that's what's happened to me the 4-5 times that I know of, a pair of mine needed bending and broke. That's 4 or 5 out of maybe a couple of dozen.)

If your binding is Marker, they intermittently make a 120, but not much this past 18/19 season. (I know - odd.)
I'm told that next season, 19/20, Marker will be supplying the 120 again, providing it more routinely to shops who want to stock it, and having it in stock themselves for special order.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Almost all brakes are good +/-5mm.

604Sean

Skier
Almost all brakes are good +/-5mm.

Thanks, that's good to know; not sure why but there seems to be a jump from 115mm - 130mm which is pretty significant considering the number of skis that fall into that range.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Thanks, that's good to know; not sure why but there seems to be a jump from 115mm - 130mm which is pretty significant considering the number of skis that fall into that range.
so, if the 115mm works up to a 120mm ski...and the is fine for a 125mm ski, that is a 5mm gap. as far as the amount of 120-125mm ski, not only are there not many...there are not that many sold. Salomon also has done a great job with the brake design in that it retracts high above the ski. On the 117mm Wildcats, you will be fine with the 115mm brake.

604Sean

Skier
so, if the 115mm works up to a 120mm ski...and the is fine for a 125mm ski, that is a 5mm gap. as far as the amount of 120-125mm ski, not only are there not many...there are not that many sold. Salomon also has done a great job with the brake design in that it retracts high above the ski. On the 117mm Wildcats, you will be fine with the 115mm brake.

Thanks Phil, now we just need a dealer in BC to start selling Moment Skis (have to go next door to AB of all places to get some).

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Moment ships free worldwide, FYI

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug Where can I find a pair of these demo bindings to purchase? I googled "Warden MNC 13 DT" and the results were unsatisfying...
I'm planning on buying a new pair of skis and I'd like to transfer over my Look Pivots to the new skis and mount demos to my old skis so I can share them with friends possibly.

Is ebay a legit way to buy? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Salomon-20...ings-NEW-Width-90-100-115-130mm-/352646182251
I have never purchased from them but am familiar with Colorado Discount Ski

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Note to @Tim Hedin and @SkiEssentials with these becoming more popular with our readers, you might consider stocking these.