• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Same model bindings on all pairs of skis?

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
Do you have the same model of bindings on multiple pairs of skis?

I have the Salomon STH 10 Ski Bindings on two pairs of skis (K2 Superfree 163 & Volkl Aura 170). I'm not sure if I want to go with the same model on my new Volkl Kendo 163. On the plus side, the bindings are very light and not that expensive. However, it seems like Marker Griffons are held in high regard by a lot of people. I have to admit, I don't usually think much about my bindings as long as they release when I want them to.

:crash:
Any suggestions?

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I'd take STH2s over Griffons any day. Better toe in my opinion with better elasticity.

I'd say that all modern bindings are safe so you don't have to be tied into one type, it's all probably down to a personal preference and price.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Why not just quiver killer everything you buy and a pair of your existing skis?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got Salamon STH2 13's on all my current skis. Just bought another set. I guess my rock AC30's do get a few days with their integrated marker bindings, but those were not by choice.

I thought about the quiver killers, but I never know what skis I'm taking until the last minute and it would be a pain to switch bindings.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
However, it seems like Marker Griffons are held in high regard by a lot of people.

FWIW, I have been a loyal Marker Griffon buyer for a number of years, but I'm sick of them. They are *so much work* to click into. I don't know what would be better, but I feel like it ought to be possible to get a boot into a binding without several minutes of scraping and stomping - and that's on relatively packed snow near the lodge =/

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Have about 8 - 10 pairs of Marker royals (griffon/jester/squire) in the family. They are a pain to step in, especially the squire. something to do with the pivot point. Gave away the 2 pairs we had.
Lately we have been using Tyrolia attacks 13 & 16s. Have about 6 pairs mounted. Really nice bindings. Easy to step in, Generally feels less chunky than the riyals.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, I have been a loyal Marker Griffon buyer for a number of years, but I'm sick of them. They are *so much work* to click into. I don't know what would be better, but I feel like it ought to be possible to get a boot into a binding without several minutes of scraping and stomping - and that's on relatively packed snow near the lodge =/
The Squires drove me crazy that way. I swapped them out after one season and have avoided Marker ever since. It's a bit of an extreme reaction I know.

Do you have the same model of bindings on multiple pairs of skis?

I have the Salomon STH 10 Ski Bindings on two pairs of skis (K2 Superfree 163 & Volkl Aura 170). I'm not sure if I want to go with the same model on my new Volkl Kendo 163. On the plus side, the bindings are very light and not that expensive. However, it seems like Marker Griffons are held in high regard by a lot of people. I have to admit, I don't usually think much about my bindings as long as they release when I want them to.

:crash:
Any suggestions?

Like you, I just want bindings to stay on when they are supposed to and release when needed. I always shop around and buy the binding with the best price. My DIN is set at 5.5 so I look for the "10" category as it is cheaper and plenty of binding for me. I also look for what is light. I have the Atomic FFG10 on my Auras and love them. They are so easy to get in and out of and super light. Here's a deal on a pair with a 90mm brake.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400920584762?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It seems like low-DIN bindings are typically lighter/less burly, even though DINs don't strictly correspond to weight (really not much at all). So I'm leery of getting the 10s due to my weight. Not sure if that is a legit concern or not. @Philpug ?

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have 3 pair with the same binding Tyrolia Power rail 12 , the are adjustable so friends can demo or buy when the time comes, I like them.One pair I have is a Rossi ( Look) binding that I an fearful that I will snap my ski pole to release the heel. I have not had a release on these bindings and wonder if they would. I brought them back to the shop but they said that normal. I don't like them.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Axial on a pair of skis and it takes some pole pressure to release them. I did take an easy fall on a powder day last year and had to release them with my hand to stand up. The skis were quite buried! I had no problem releasing with my hand. I have not had a fall that required a release, so I'm not sure of that either. I just trust that reviews of that binding have been good.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My kinda thread. I like the Sth2's as a regular binding that can double as a demo binding with its 28mm of travel so it can double as a demo binding. If I mount up a ski that I don't have to share, I will choose a Pivot 15 and I have them on quite a few skis. As a true demo binding, I will choose the Tyrolia Attack Demo. It is a demo that is A. easily adjustable and B. skis most like it's retail counterpart.

TS
Karen_skier2.0

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier

Could be a PITA if you ejected in the trees and had to get back into them....

TS
Karen_skier2.0

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
TS
Karen_skier2.0

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
It seems like low-DIN bindings are typically lighter/less burly, even though DINs don't strictly correspond to weight (really not much at all). So I'm leery of getting the 10s due to my weight. Not sure if that is a legit concern or not. @Philpug ?

I had this discussion with a tech--even though I'm heavy, I'm short (5'3"), so I'm not maxing them out. I'll have to take a look at my DIN settings, but I only released a couple of times last year--and they were situations when I would expect them to release.

Sponsor