• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TGR shared this video and I couldn't help but think of photos we have of this jump. I know @Kneale Brownson has a shot of it.

James

Out There
Instructor
So how long has that jump been there? Is it bigger than a 70m ?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So how long has that jump been there? Is it bigger than a 70m ?

Copper Peak Facts

copper-peak-jump-crop-u943.jpg

Copper Peak is the largest artificial ski jump in the world. The 35 degree, 469 foot, cantilevered inrun was constructed using 300 tons of COR-TEN steel in 1969 at a cost of just over $1 million.

Other interesting facts about the Copper Peak structure and site include:
  • The upper observation platform is 1782 feet above sea level and 1180 feet above Lake Superior.
  • The platform provides the highest, unobstructed, 360 degree vista in the Midwest, overlooking nearly 40 miles in every direction.
  • The 810-foot chairlift rises 365 fee to the crest of the hill.
  • The 18-story elevator ride takes about 55 seconds.
  • The structure is designed to withstand winds in excess of 190 mph.
  • In a brisk wind, the top of Copper Peak has been observed to sway as much as 18 inches, by design.
  • During construction, a 104-pound piece of native copper was unearthed.
  • The first international ski flying competition was held at Copper Peak in February and March of 1970.

Another note, they are opening up again for an event in 2017. Putting money into improving it.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well those midwesterners are just lunatics.(wait are they Upers??)
I wish they'd go to Buffalo and build a 2500ft high garbage dump mountain to ski on. All that lake snow wasted on the flatlands. They could use the methane to power the lifts.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
James, get out your UP topo map. Its not as flat as you think. Butt cold too.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well those midwesterners are just lunatics.(wait are they Upers??)
I wish they'd go to Buffalo and build a 2500ft high garbage dump mountain to ski on. All that lake snow wasted on the flatlands. They could use the methane to power the lifts.
That is UP'er (Yooper) thing, but yes we midwesterners are lunatics. You gotta problem with that? :D

James

Out There
Instructor
I don't understand why that area isn't part of Wisconsin. Is the upper part of the mitten considered Yooper or just that part that borders Lake Superior?

The "problems" are all because you have practically oceans - the Great lakes, with no tides. Luna no likey. Makes the people build tall things to jump off.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't understand why that area isn't part of Wisconsin. Is the upper part of the mitten considered Yooper or just that part that borders Lake Superior?

The "problems" are all because you have practically oceans - the Great lakes, with no tides. Luna no likey. Makes the people build tall things to jump off.

It would be nice if the UP was Wisconsin, then I wouldn't need to pay out of state tuition for my son at MTU.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January