• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Say good-bye to some great 2022 products and where to look next.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
2022-last-chance-products-SkiTalk.jpeg

This thread is for the general discussion of the Article Say good-bye to some great 2022 products and where to look next.. Please add to the discussion here.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Whew. Here goes. (You could not make this stuff up.)

"Montero" - Whatever did Stockli mean by this name? It can't be just a city in Bolivia, can it? Is that place near to a ski resort or something?
Is there a ski area/ski town in Europe with that same name?

Not some medieval "hunter's cap," surely. (What full on dictionaries go to as one of the definitions.)

And it can't be a reference to that rapper song and stuff, either. It's unfortunate what that "Montero" now means in street slang English - for Stockli, and also unfortunate for Stockli what one gets googling that word online. What a mess.

What matters to me about the ski's change is the adding of 2 mm to get an 80 mm waist now on the AX (and AR, I guess) from 78. This is no big deal, but it is a return to the past. The AX 78 is the name change for the previous Stormrider XXL 80, that had pretty much the exact same shape/mold but to me better behavior (and a bit more weight and stability) - though not as quick a rebound. (If one traces around the outline of the recent AX 78, one gets the old SR XXL 80 shape, as the resulting new line shape would be slightly larger and wider - about 1 mm all around it, or 2 mm total width, that would be added to the width and length that way - a width of 80. Just an odd observation, I guess.) Any how, the 80 SR XXL was maybe a better ski, in some respects, probably, near as I can tell. Pros and cons.

(I happen to have four of them still, acquired dirt cheap over time, in two different lengths, most picked up for well under $150 each including bindings usually.) This XXL ski does not wear out, as long as its base is kept flat, at least up to 700 days on the snow and counting.* (And it did/does not have its successor's (the AX's) odd extra zip rebound that throws off its rebound flex a tad except in an inch or two of fresh, just to give it a boost, maybe, for transitioning skiers[?].)

Said another way, if the new 80 AX Montero has close to the more accurate rebound of the older XXL 80 ski it came from, it will, to me, be no problem, maybe even an improvement.

And they now maybe need to change that name yesterday.

* A former Stockli regional rep here for many years (call him Mr. B) still skis the SR XXL also as a mainstay ski after more than 700 full days on the slopes and counting. (He still uses it regularly, he told me, as he was base flattening a pair of Stocklis, I think, in a ski shop I'm in often.)
The top sheet on his was identical to mine - red with a mt. ram's skull with long horns. (It had different top sheets over the years it was current.)

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Whew. Here goes. (You could not make this stuff up.)

"Montero" - Whatever did Stöckli mean by this name? It can't be just a city in Bolivia, can it? Is that place near to a ski resort or something?
Is there a ski area/ski town in Europe with that same name?

Means "hunter" in Spanish. One that hunts in the mountains. As opposed to cazador who I guess hunts in the flatlands :ogbiggrin:

I am sure the Monteros will be very good. I just happen to not like the topsheets very much.

P.S. LOVE the new Forzas! Bob Marley is smiling from above!

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That was the Montego. Mitsubishi had the Montero.

Yup I got it wrong. I was thinking of the Mercury Mondeo.

The OG Montero had or has a pretty good rep as a rugged-ish SUV.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The S/Force Bold and the TI.80 -- which I think we're also losing -- are great skis. But two things about them bug me: forcing folks into a system binding and the thin edges. It looks like the Redster Q does away with EdgeAmplifier, but the catalog implies it is still only available with a system binding, albeit a really good one. @Philpug, I know a review is forthcoming, but can you tell us if they've beefed up the edges? I'm intrigued by the Q9.8's tighter radius. I'm eyeing the 181 at a 15.2m.

dwerdd

Booting up
Skier
Sad to see the Fischers go. If I still lived on the east coast I would probably shell out for the RC4 CT for that near-masters-race-room construction in a more... crowded-slope-friendly turn radius.

That said, I did just put in an online order for the Ranger 102 FR. While the 2023 R102 intrigues me (and I quite like the celeste color actually), I'm happy to pay discounted prices for a ski that has been comprehensively reviewed than take the chance on a completely new ski at sticker price. I suppose I'm just risk averse.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Fischer RC4 CT is gone? That’s too bad, I was planning on picking up a pair next fall.

Does Fischer have a replacement coming in? What are they going to use as their podium ski?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Fischer RC4 CT is gone? That’s too bad, I was planning on picking up a pair next fall.

Does Fischer have a replacement coming in? What are they going to use as their podium ski?
The RC4 RC is a marginal loss of energy/power. A loss that IMHO can only be experienced at the Nth degree.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

A pink 102FR? Dang, they retired that too.

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
The S/Force Bold and the TI.80 -- which I think we're also losing -- are great skis. But two things about them bug me: forcing folks into a system binding and the thin edges. It looks like the Redster Q does away with EdgeAmplifier, but the catalog implies it is still only available with a system binding, albeit a really good one. @Philpug, I know a review is forthcoming, but can you tell us if they've beefed up the edges? I'm intrigued by the Q9.8's tighter radius. I'm eyeing the 181 at a 15.2m.
Sad to see the Bold go as well. I loved that ski for the last 3.5 years and has been my DD here in the east. I went looking for a similar ski and found a better one! I found the K2 Disruption 82ti to be extremely similar to the Bold ,much more exciting than the Bold and the Stockli Laser Ar(Which the Bold is superior to anyway!) great damping and just a lot a fun in one ski. The ski has a Powerwall Construction(similar to edge amplifier though not as extensive) and the Dark matter dampening that really works. The 82ti tail is not as tight as the Bold . If you ride the Bold I am sure you will like the K2 82ti.

Last edited:

Don'tfit

Putting on skis
Skier
Hey Blip, the Current RC4 WC RC Pro is made in Austria and is a little stiffer in flex than last years that was made in the Ukraine (prior to the fire). I've skied them back to back. Find an Austrian built pair!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I found the K2 Disruption 82ti to be extremely similar to the Bold ,much more exciting than the Bold...
Really? I found them to be completely different.