• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

School me on Skins

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I am finally able to get on an AT setup and I need some help with skins. I am setting up 2 pairs of skis with Shifts, A Renoun Citadel 185 (136-106-126) and a Praxis Protest 187 (138-128-132). I have done some research and it seems like a Mohair/nylon blend is a good way to go but Im a newb. Trying to find something now that's on sale. These looked like they might be a decent option https://www.backcountry.com/backcountry-x-black-diamond-momix-skin

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those are very good skins. To size them I go with whatever is closest to the width of the ski tail. I’d go with the 125s for your Renouns and 140s for the Praxis, though if you wanted to save a few bucks 125s would work fine on the Praxis.

I use the BD mix skins a lot and am very happy with them, but if you want to nerd out with a pretty comprehensive overview:

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
With the Scala tip and rockered Praxis it should be fine, if in doubt, shoot G3 an email. I think they ship a G3 skin cutter with each pair too, easy trim.

Reactions: Ron

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sure. When you’re skinning, the traction comes predominately from underfoot and the tail. 4 mm of bare base/edge on either side of the forward part will not affect your traction. In fact, you can get away with more bare base on the front part than that, and it saves a little weight. That’s why I buy skins sized for the tail measurement.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
In my reading , I found a few comments about G3's working better in higher moisture content snow than BD's. Any truth to that? I think UT and CO snow is pretty similar. (although don't quote me for admitting this :) )

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
just ordered a pair of the G3 Scala's. those will be great on the Praxis. I actually remembered I had a pair of G3's in the garage. they are about 10 years old but the glue is still good! they are 120's so they will work on the Renouns. THANKS ALL!

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just for the record: Nylon plush works somewhat better than Mohair in wet conditions, but they both work and nylon is heavier (and usually stiffer) overall.

You're gonna do fine with the G3’s.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I am not sure where I got the older pair of G3's but one is a 130, the other 120 LOL, I think they will be fine on the 106 Renouns based on what you guys are saying?

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
^^^And wax, ironed in prior even better.

Reactions: Ron

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not sure where I got the older pair of G3's but one is a 130, the other 120 LOL, I think they will be fine on the 106 Renouns based on what you guys are saying?
By the time they’re trimmed you’ll be fine.

I use nikwax skin saver, easier and more effective than wax.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Timely thread, I am looking to get new skins for my 2 year old AT setup. My Black Diamond Glidelight mix skins (mohair/nylon mix) are in good shape, but I don't like the glide on them. I would describe them as more snow shoe than glide. I cross country a lot, so that is my basis of comparison.

Personally, I am switching to 100% mohair and will probably get Pomoca skins. If what I am reading on the web is true, 100% mohair has much better glide and not a lot less grip. It does depend on snow conditions to a degree.

My beef is I can't slightly unweight my skis and slide them forward without a lot of resistance force from the skin. I basically have to get the skin almost completely out of the snow to slide it. This translates to heavy breathing. I am talking about pretty firm snow, as well. I finally tried waxing my skins, which improved it, but the resistance of mohair/nylon skins is pretty noticable on 30+ minute skins. The grip is fantastic, I can climb up a veritcal icy wall with them.

The other thing is I have 108mm wide skis and wall to wall skins. You can buy skins wider than your tips and trim them full length so about 5mm of edge is showing per side. OR you can match tail width or waist width. Wall to wall is best grip, worst glide. Waist width is the opposite. When side hilling, wall to wall seems like the best to not loose grip (only partial width is touching snow due to angle of slope)

I have come to the conclusion that you have to balance the grip versus glide versus skin width vs ski width options. For wide skis, you don't need wall to wall grippy skins. For narrow skis, that is probably what you do want.

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had many pairs of bd skins, switched to pomoca, and they are much better. good glide, grip and they are lighter and pack much smaller.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Besides the Blister article mentioned above, Outdoorgearlab also has a good overview test of climbing skins:

One point (I think from the Blister article), that I though made a lot of sense was:
Don’t skimp on skins, and do spend time looking for the right ones for you, just like bike tires:

Off all the parts of a ski set up, they are by far the cheapest:
  • Boots, $700
  • Skis $600
  • Bindings $500
So the difference between the cheapest $100 skins and the most expensive $200 skins, is quite small relative to those other parts.

At the same time, just like tires, you need to balance grip and glide, and you are on them for the majority of your time.

And then of course there is the tip and tail hardware, making sure you have something that works well for you and your skis.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online