• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting skis. I got them for a lightweight traveling ski for powder and our trip to Japan. I got them a little too short for my size in 168. But they are cambered for much of the ski - no rocker. There's also not much sidecut. So the short ski might compensate for that - and be a bit easier to travel with.

So how do they ski? The current conditions at Squaw aren't suited to the skis. They aren't my choice for ice. I struggled with them for a couple of rides. In the firm bumps, they wouldn't turn. They wouldn't hold on boilerplate. Things got pretty nice in the sugar on the sides of the runs but overall, I wasn't impressed.

So I moved the schizio bindings forward 1.5cm. Totally different skis! Tolerable hold in the ice. Much quicker and turnier in the bumps. OK, now I'm happy enough with the new skis.

I'll try to update when I get the skis in some soft snow.

Eric

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Japow delivered. These skis rock in the powder. Comfortable float without being sensitive to fore aft balance. Nimble through tight trees. Stable straightlining when needed. Felt big and solid for a short ski. Excellent in pure powder.

A little tougher in crud. They were short so maybe that explains some instability in variable conditions. Decent in the crud but not great.

Mediocre on packed variable snow. They felt sluggish but unstable. I was always behind where I wanted to be.

OK on groomers. Especially soft groomers. They liked a very big radius turn. It took a lot of work to get nice tight turns.

Barely OK on ice or hard snow. They would edge but didn't inspire confidence.

I suffered in the bumps on these skis. Unless the line was good. Then they were nice. But any discontinuity in the line was too hard to adjust to. I found some very soft bumps and the skis were magic there. But soft bumps like that are uncommon, sigh.

The skis were perfect for the Japow trip. Light and short so easy to travel with. Perfect for the powder we were chasing. But I'm not sure how often I'll take them out at Squaw. I think I like more sidecut so I don't have to work so hard to turn. I'll trade the stability for a tighter turn and an easy carve.

I ended up with the bindings forward 1cm. Even for the powder. Even then, they weren't turny enough for my tastes.

Nice skis but they won't be a first string ski. Unless I travel for more Japow!

Eric