• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Second pair of skis for learning switch and easy jumps/tricks. ARV 96/Bent 90/K2 Sight/K2 Poacher/Revolt 95/Holyshread

Echopraxia

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi,
I'm an intermediate/advanced on groomers but have no experience at all with any other type of skiing. My local hills are probably like US east coast meaning mostly low amounts of snow and often icy, but some years we can get lucky.
I already have a set of 80mm carving skis with good edges that can go fast/hard on groomers, I can always use these for icy days.
In my 40s so trying avoid crashing is a priority, I'm probably looking more for "beginner friendly" on landings and so on than maximum performance. I can always sell and buy something else if I ever become advanced enough.
I'm 187cm tall and 88kg, active with gym and mtb all year so probably above average strong and athletic.

My priorities are:
Learn switch and easier tricks like 180s/360s.
Learn to jump in the small terrain park.
Ski more playfully on groomers - jumping on sidehits and so on.
Be able to play around the hill in areas that I avoid like under the lift, some mild offpiste ect ect.
Better soft snow performance than my 80mm carvers.
Still be able to come down icy/cruddy/skied out blacks safely - so decent all mountain performance.

Things I probably don't care about:
Rails - I rather have good edges all the time
Flotation in deep powder - It's rare enough that I can rent on those days.

I have narrowed it down to some skis I can get locally, but am unsure if 95 or more wouldnt be too much for my use?
Some of these are probably too soft for me but I cant really find any info on flex on all of them.
  • Armada ARV 96 184cm - probably top choice from reviews, but starting to get too wide at 96 maybe?
  • Bent Chetler 90 184cm
  • Volkl Revolt 95 181cm
  • K2 Poacher 96 184cm
  • Rossignol Holyshred 98 182cm - starting to get too wide at 98 maybe?
  • K2 Sight 88 179 cm - a bit too park oriented?
  • Armada ARV 86 184cm - seems these are a bit soft from reviews
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
arv 96, revolt 95, k2 poacher

remove the rest of the list.

Look at the CT 1.0 btw, they can shred outside park as well, but honestly all of thoose I listed can to some extent, bump base angle underfoot, and slight detune there, keep rest somwhat dull, but at east you will want some edges, but learning stuff is easier with somewhat dull edges at times.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
looking more for "beginner friendly" on landings
Think I’d go Faction Prodigy 2.0 as it’s a bit stronger than the 1.0 but still not too much for a newbie and they come in 183cm and 189cm lengths. Same ski in 21 so if you can find one of those on an even better deal, go for it. The 184cm Prodigy 1.0 would still be a solid choice though too if you want something lighter and quicker.

21 CT 1.0 would work too but a bit more of a “playful charger” twin tip that might be not as forgiving as you’d want for this ski.

Edit-Armada ARV 96 and K2 Poacher are both solid skis but both have “beefy but slow” bases on them for park abuse. Glide not great Vs the Revolts or Factions that use more traditional sintered bases.

Last edited:

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
my kid is on Volkl Revolt 95's as her not deep day all around ski. I went with that one because it's so well reviewed outside the park and also well reviewed in the park. FWIW she' a better skier than me, and like the skis on all terrain and in the park. They have quite a long effective edge for their overall length, so you apparently can ski them a little smaller and more flickable but still get a good amount of edge on the snow.

Also, cheap - cheap end of good quality skis new, cheap on the used market.

Sponsor