• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Seeking a “light charger” ski

Jgryckie

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Looking for something around 100 underfoot with some metal, but not two full sheets. Will be primarily used in New England bumps and trees or when there’s fresh, or when I can only travel with one ski out west.

Looking for something livelier and more nimble than your typical charger but not quite into popsicle stick territory

Top of my list so far are the Rustlers (either 9 or 10) and the Rossi Sender Ti. Anything else that should be on my radar?

5’9, 180 lbs, aggressive, former instructor

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have the Rustler 9 and would not say that they are light chargers (even if they have some metal). A Moment wildcat 101-108 would me more in that class, even if they don’t have metal.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
QST 99 is a super gentle charger. For 100 mm underfoot, Rustler 10, Elan Ripstick 96/106, Salomon Stance 102. Left out expensive skis, such as Moment or Black Crows.

JShort

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hopefully someone can weigh in on the Faction Dictator series. Isn't the Dictator 3.0 pretty lightweight for how hard it can charge?

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This question light charger is hard to answer. You could go from a nice am the that can charge to a purpose built resort charger that is not ridiculously over built.

Also I think feel and levels of feedback and feel makes a huge difference in what one would prefer.

The op seems to indicate a good am travel ski, bumps and trees that can also charge.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Liberty Evolv 90 or Evolv 100. Added the 90 to my quiver last season after a few years of wishing I had a pair.

Reactions: Flo

Ryan Perham

Putting on skis
Skier
By light, do you mean lightweight, or "dialed down a notch"?

Regarding characterisitics; are lively, nimble, or charger more important to you? Knowing the answer will help narrow in on a good choice since there isn't a ski that gets a 10/10 in all categories.

All that being said, based on your comments, the Fischer Ranger 94 and 102 sound like they may be what you're looking for. Not recommended for a lazy or technically lacking skier, but as a former instructor, you should be good.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looking for something around 100 underfoot with some metal, but not two full sheets. Will be primarily used in New England bumps and trees or when there’s fresh, or when I can only travel with one ski out west.

Looking for something livelier and more nimble than your typical charger but not quite into popsicle stick territory

Top of my list so far are the Rustlers (either 9 or 10) and the Rossi Sender Ti. Anything else that should be on my radar?

5’9, 180 lbs, aggressive, former instructor
I have the 2020 Rustler 10 and feel that this would hit most of your requirements. I'm 6' 170 and got the 188- maybe the 180 would be the size for you, but this ski does it all in my opinion.
But maybe demo as many skis as you can. You can call me Captain Obvious.
I did try the Rustler 9 and it didn't do what the 10 can do- at least for me. Kind of felt bland is how I would put it- nothing special. But when I ski the 10 and it puts a big smile on my face...

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have the 2020 Rustler 10 and feel that this would hit most of your requirements. I'm 6' 170 and got the 188- maybe the 180 would be the size for you, but this ski does it all in my opinion.
But maybe demo as many skis as you can. You can call me Captain Obvious.
I did try the Rustler 9 and it didn't do what the 10 can do- at least for me. Kind of felt bland is how I would put it- nothing special. But when I ski the 10 and it puts a big smile on my face...
I kind off have the opposite opinion. Liked the 9 and 11 but really don’t like the 10. Find it hooky and erratic, not enough float for powder and not enough grip edge for groomers. To me that’s the worst of the rustler series. I also have a Moment Wildcat and it’s to me the definition of a light charger. Weird that @GregK did not suggest the faction ct 2 ;)

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There have been a few mentions of the Fischer Ranger series, all I can say is demo first.

The Ti are much more chargery than the FR versions of the rangers. But even these lack any feeling of feedback / engagement from the tip of the skis. Don't feel natural in open terrain, high throttle, tip and rip. For me it was a hard pass.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
I picked up some Season Aero skis which I am hoping will fall in this category. Not ready to say much about them until I ski them but they look promising with very high camber and very little rocker (like none outside of it being twin tip) and little taper. Still debating where to mount them since recommended is way forward but I may go with it. A blemish sale pushed me over the edge on this one but every day Vermont ski and travel ski like you mentioned is what I am after.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There have been a few mentions of the Fischer Ranger series, all I can say is demo first.

The Ti are much more chargery than the FR versions of the rangers. But even these lack any feeling of feedback / engagement from the tip of the skis. Don't feel natural in open terrain, high throttle, tip and rip. For me it was a hard pass.
which FR's do you not like

Sponsor