• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Seeking Mammoth recommendations

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I really appreciated the Squaw recommendations I got here recently so now I am looking for help with Mammoth, where I will be next week for a mix of skiing by myself and with kids.

I'm and advanced and love speeding and carving down long, groomed runs. I am also looking to push myself more, including more time in the moguls and trees. So I'm thinking 80/20 or even 70/30.

Based on my research, these seem promising for me: Chair 23, West Bowl, Paranoid Flats, Avalanche Chutes.

And runs to ski with kids: Road Runner, White Bark Ridge, Stump Alley to St. Moritz, Gold Hill.

As always, advice appreciated.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was a low-to-mid level intermediate when I was at Mammoth a few years ago, for reference.... and here's a few things I think I particularly liked:

-- Cornice Bowl if it wasn't too bumped up
-- Santiago and Rigely's on the back if the snow is good
-- Saddle Bowl
-- Stump Alley
-- Back for More
-- Chair 12 - though it's very slow

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I plan on skiing Apr 19-20 if anybody is heading up there those 2 days

TS
Dougb

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At what level do the kids ski?

I have 4 kids with me next week. All can ski blues, but one pair (12 year olds) likes groomed runs, bumps, trees, and parks. The other two (8 year olds) will stick to the groomed runs. I was looking at all the runs off Roller. Coaster Express for them.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How will spring skiing be this year at Mammoth? Will it be good into May or is April going to be the last good month of skiing?? I am assuming it is good right now as the snow depths on the website are pretty impressive.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I would work your way up at Mammoth. For example, Paranoid Flats is a very challenging run - steep and big bumps. It will definitely be easier in the afternoon after it has softened a bit if the weather is warm enough. The Avalanche Chutes are also condition dependent. Again, once they have softened up, probably fun. The problem is that if you are in a melt freeze/cycle, both of those runs are quite challenging. To check conditions under 23, drop into Cornice and then slide over to the ungroomed bowl. It it's still hard, everything else is also. Yes to West Bowl, it's a really fun run. I like all the runs around chair 5. They also ski well earlier in the day because of all the early sunshine. Dave's Run is also quite fun once the top of the mountain has softened up a bit.

As for roller coaster ... I am not sure when the Canyon and Eagle areas are closing for the season. @skibum4ever have you heard a closing date? Avalanche Chutes are on Lincoln Mountain so that may also be closed next week. If Canyon and Eagle are closed, and the backside is open, your kids will enjoy the backside and around chair 12 as well. There are some fun trees on the back side directly under the chair and again that area softens up earlier so it's a good choice earlier in the day.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Mammoth should still be in full operation next week. I plan to be there next Tues/Wed, my first time at Mammoth since July 1-3, 2019.

For a recent report, see Liftlines Skiing and Snowboarding Forums • View topic - Mammoth, 4/4/21 (firsttracksonline.com) where more reports should be added soon as I think Tony Crocker is there this week (and probably will be next week). I heard that getting into the Paranoids has already been difficult due to rocks. Monument is easier run (compared to Paranoids) with clean entrance (until Skyline burns off). Either of these take you below base of 23 so after skiing them you will be going to the bottom. Avalanche Chutes can have difficult entrance that you probably should do first with someone who knows the way. Runs on either side under chair 22, Shaft and Viva, usually have good snow, although they are double-diamond on map. You should also try the Dropout and Wipeout chutes on either side of Chair 23.

Note that Mammoth has not been allowing you to load gondola at mid-station so the only way to get to very top is to load gondola by Main Lodge. Best parking is usually at chair 2 where you can do a couple of warmup runs on Stump Alley groomer before moving to Chair 9 which softens well on sunny Spring days and allows better skiers to take runs to lookers left while Intermediates take easier groomers. You should wait until at least late morning if not early afternoon to ski chair 14 as runs there face W and can freeze hard overnight after getting late sun.

Last edited:
TS
Dougb

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is all really helpful advice and one of the many reasons I love this place.

@Pat AKA mustski and @Tony: I will have one morning and one afternoon by myself. The recommendations on where to go and when are much appreciated!

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One thing I would add to the above recommendations, particularly with spring conditions: The entrances to Avy Chutes and Paranoid Flats are "no fall zones". Be VERY careful if things have not softened up. One slip on the entry and it can be a looong slide before you can self arrest. The same can be said for Climax and Drop Out/Wipe Out. @Tony 's comments are spot on. Once you are well into any of these areas, you will be fine.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
+1 for parking at The Mill/Stump - chair 2 - it is the easiest for using the car locker which can be particularly good in spring for dropping layers mid day. It's also got a large outdoor patio which is good for eating lunch.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Decided to look it up so you don't have to....
Skiing/riding from Canyon and Eagle Lodges is scheduled through April 18.
Starting Monday, April 19, all ski and snowboard access and services will be out of Main Lodge

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Decided to look it up so you don't have to....
Skiing/riding from Canyon and Eagle Lodges is scheduled through April 18.
Starting Monday, April 19, all ski and snowboard access and services will be out of Main Lodge
Figures, coincides with those of us who deferred and cant ski until Apr 19

TS
Dougb

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Tony and @cosmoliu. I think I will avoid Avy Chutes and Paranoid Flats based on your advice. I am extra cautious this year because I don’t want to end up in the ER during COVID times. Not just for me but for the essential workers who are putting their lives on the line. L

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Figures, coincides with those of us who deferred and cant ski until Apr 19
I'm sure it's just a coincidence....:cool:
Unlikely a coincidence but it is later than usual. They usually close right after Easter or right after LA unified has their spring break ... whichever is latest. We are going to be there April 25-30... with a drive to Reno on the 29th for a walk through on our new house. We plan to ski the 26,27,28

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Unlikely a coincidence but it is later than usual. They usually close right after Easter or right after LA unified has their spring break ... whichever is latest. We are going to be there April 25-30... with a drive to Reno on the 29th for a walk through on our new house. We plan to ski the 26,27,28
Damn, I'll be back up there May 2-5

Tony

tseeb
Skier
...my first time at Mammoth since July 1-3, 2019.
I'm quoting and correcting myself as I was also at Mammoth Nov 13-14, 2019 when only chair 1 was open and I rode it more than 50 times in two days. Since Tioga Pass was still open, I hiked to Tuolumne Grove, Giant Sequoias near Crane Flat off 120 in Yosemite, on my way back to Bay Area.

Also tagging @freddie who posted in Tahoe thread that he had some interest in Mammoth. Note that if Tioga is still closed, Sonora Pass, which usually opens earlier, is only about 30 miles longer from Bay Area to Mammoth than Tioga and saves you the Yosemite entrance fee (if you don't have annual or Senior National Parks pass). But 108 is very steep on both sides at the top so if you don't use a low gear and keep speed down, your can burn up your brakes.

To @Dougb : You will be able to see the Paranoids (aka Noids or P1-P4) from Monument and decide if there is a reasonable traverse into them. The entrance from the top sounded like it was already sketchy two weeks ago. Liftlines Skiing and Snowboarding Forums • View topic - Mammoth, CA, Mar. 23-25, 2021 (firsttracksonline.com) You can also see some of the Avy chutes from below, but as I said it's best to be shown the route by someone who has done it before. Besides chair 5 that @Pat AKA mustski mentioned, chair 3 aka Face lift has some intermediate/advanced runs that usually hold good Spring snow. Chair 3 can give you a lot of skiing in a short time as it's about 900 vertical with a 3 minute ride time.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online