• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"Semi racing" skis recommendation?

ariesl

Booting up
Skier
Hi fellas. I'm looking for a 'semi racing' ski for groomers. 171cm 70kg, currently using supershape e-rally 163cm. It's a perfect frontside ski, super fun and versatile with. However when I'm trying to do some high speed mid/long turns, it seems not stiff enough to hold the g force. I tried Nordica FIS SL, it's too demanding and unforgiving... So I'm thinking about some semi race model, such as Head e-race pro 165, Atomic S9 165 / X9 167, Rossignol Hero Elite ST 167. Won't compromise on short turn performance, so GS style skis are off the table. Any comparison and suggestion about this? Thank you!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I'll vote for the Hero's - that's what I'm on. ST Ti is the one you'll need. There are some new Rossi's for next season, if you want to wait.
I've another instructor friend on the S9's, she loves them.
I see a lot of Head's, but not sure what model on the instructors at Tremblant.

The Nordica would be the Doberman SLR or SLC, not the FIS.

Most instructors here in eastern Canada are on similar skis.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Rudi Riet tested a combi sidecut ski here recently but I can’t find it /don’t remember now. A combi sidecut is SL forward and GS aft in case you didn’t know. They don’t do either as well as a SL or GS specific ski but they can come close. There are a lot of non race lineage skis that can make a wide variety of turn shapes well .

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi fellas. I'm looking for a 'semi racing' ski for groomers. 171cm 70kg, currently using supershape e-rally 163cm. It's a perfect frontside ski, super fun and versatile with. However when I'm trying to do some high speed mid/long turns, it seems not stiff enough to hold the g force. I tried Nordica FIS SL, it's too demanding and unforgiving... So I'm thinking about some semi race model, such as Head e-race pro 165, Atomic S9 165 / X9 167, Rossignol Hero Elite ST 167. Won't compromise on short turn performance, so GS style skis are off the table. Any comparison and suggestion about this? Thank you!

The semi racing Rossis are the Masters versions, not the Elite. The Elite is the third tier, quite removed from true racing skis.
Head Rebels are all very nice.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I am a bit confused--you state you want a "semi racing" ski for groomers" for to do "some high speed mid/long turns", but then you list a bunch of short turn skis.

In addition, while the Head e.Rally is a great ski for cruising the whole mountain, it is NOT a high performance carver for groomers....

It sounds like you want a 15-18m radius sub-70mm sport carving ski, like the Head Rebel e.Race or Stockli WRT-ST. The Atomic G9RS Revo or X9RS, as well as the Nordica GSR RB are also nice.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Rudi Riet tested a combi sidecut ski here recently but I can’t find it /don’t remember now. A combi sidecut is SL forward and GS aft in case you didn’t know. They don’t do either as well as a SL or GS specific ski but they can come close. There are a lot of non race lineage skis that can make a wide variety of turn shapes well .

I've tested two over the past couple seasons:

The Atomic Redster X9s is the archetype of a modern combi ski. It has a 15.5m sidecut in a 175cm length and can crank out SL or GS turns with nary a fuss. The layup is a GS model (read: two sheets of metal) so it behaves in longer turns. The 182cm version is a bit more stable at higher speeds in longer turns. In 2023-24 it swaps its green for blue but it's the same ski as this year.

The Nordica Dobermann Multigara is cut from the same cloth as the X9s, though it leans more heavily in the GS column than slalom. It's amazingly stable at high speeds.

Both of these will confidently carve on ice and are narrow enough that if you ski in softer snow they'll sink.

TS
A

ariesl

Booting up
Skier
What exactly are the skis doing to give you this impression?

What type of snow is this happening on - hard ice? firm? softer?

When was last time time you tuned the skis? What tune do you use?
Just some regular groomed runs, a little bit icy. I never done base edge. There is some damage caused by rocks. Side edge was set at 87deg and just tuned a couple weeks ago.

I don't have problem with its grip. I just want a bigger turning radius and higher speed on blue runs where I'm comfortable for performance. E rally is agile and fun for short turns, but not powerful for hi-speed carving... You know what I'm saying? Sorry I think I had language barrier issue here...... :doh:

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The Atomic G9RS Revo or X9RS, as well as the Nordica GSR RB are also nice.

Good luck finding either Atomic offering in North America right now - most of the "RS" line skis never make it to this side of The Pond. The non-RS versions are probably good enough for most folks and probably perfect for the OP.

TS
A

ariesl

Booting up
Skier
I am a bit confused--you state you want a "semi racing" ski for groomers" for to do "some high speed mid/long turns", but then you list a bunch of short turn skis.

In addition, while the Head e.Rally is a great ski for cruising the whole mountain, it is NOT a high performance carver for groomers....

It sounds like you want a 15-18m radius sub-70mm sport carving ski, like the Head Rebel e.Race or Stockli WRT-ST. The Atomic G9RS Revo or X9RS, as well as the Nordica GSR RB are also nice.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was trying to say... E rally is fun but not powerful enough for high performance carving. And yes, I want a sub 70 sport carver but not too hardcore. So FIS skis are not on my list... Seems I got a shortlist. Head e.race pro and Atomic X9.

TS
A

ariesl

Booting up
Skier
Good luck finding either Atomic offering in North America right now - most of the "RS" line skis never make it to this side of The Pond. The non-RS versions are probably good enough for most folks and probably perfect for the OP.
Just curious, what's wrong with the revoshock tech?

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just curious, what's wrong with the revoshock tech?

In this case "RS" doesn't stand for Revoshock. Rather, it's the version of these skis that takes the X-series race binding rather than the system binding with the pre-installed brake. The RS variant of the X9 (called the X9RS) has a racing plate on it and is a much more demanding setup than the standard system setup on the X9S. The ski is exactly the same underneath - it's just the binding and plate setup that's different.

Another Atomic ski you might be able to find in Canada is the Redster TR, which is the ski they developed for the dual-GS racing that's popping up at World Cup city events and on the World Pro Ski Tour. It's a longer radius version of the X9, a great ski if you can find it (and if you find it it's often at a bargain price because nobody knows what it is).

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If the Rally isn't cutting it at higher speeds and longer turns, the Elite ST won't either. See @Tony Storaro 's post. Look for a Masters GS ski for a good complement to the Rally.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Atomic Redster X9s is the archetype of a modern combi ski. It has a 15.5m sidecut in a 175cm length and can crank out SL or GS turns with nary a fuss. The layup is a GS model (read: two sheets of metal) so it behaves in longer turns. The 182cm version is a bit more stable at higher speeds in longer turns. In 2023-24 it swaps its green for blue but it's the same ski as this year.
This ski sounds like bliss on those groomer days. I haven't busted out the GS skis since I stopped racing, but still crave that wingsuit feeling. I'll look out for a demo of these next fall.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had never heard of the Redster TR but see that Corbetts still has stock on the 2021 year in 175cm only, for $700 $C. Dims are 114.5/70/101.5 with r15.2 @ 168cm.

Any thoughts on the 2021/2022 Redster X9 WB Revo S ?
( which I guess got replaced by the similar spec'd Q9 Revo S for 2022/2023 )
Specs on the X9 WB are 126/75/110 with r13.5 @ 168cm
A local shop has a set of 168 on sale at a very good price so I was taking a sniff at them.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What were those Atomics 183/24? These are super hard to find dammit..

Edit: Redster G9 Revo RS-total unobtanium…

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Get a racing or performance plate on a nice flexing high performance carver.
ie Look R22 race plate or R21 or R20 pro plates.

I am in the Sr category but still like to rip once in a while when my body allows.
Have the Rossi ST Ti with Konex - nice
The Dynastar 963 with Konex - better, smoother
The Dynastar Master SL (essentially same build as 963) with R22 plate - eye popping
A friend & ex-student 50ish an expert perf rec skier likes the R21 pro plate better - he is 180ish cm 70sih Kg, has ripped +70kph LR turns on his Rossi LR TIs - on boiler plate - as confirmed by his fancy GPS watch

Plates make a huge difference

GL

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January