• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sending My Puffy To Patagonia For Repair

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Front zipper comes undone from bottom up. Started doing this a couple years ago but much worse now. I looked at sending it in last winter and it was a minimum of 12 weeks to get it back. Right now they are saying 4. Hoping to have a fully functioning puffy before winter hits.

I just bought a cheap, down Gerry puffy at Costco for $29 as a backup. Seems pretty nice, especially for the price!

James

Out There
Instructor
I sent a Mountain Hardware jacket in for a zipper last spring. Got it back in three months, with a better than original zipper.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
I sent 10-year old backcountry skinning pants to Patagonia Repair last year. Blown-out cuff zippers. Took two months for turnaround during the pandemic, but no charge and they came back better than new. Love Patagonia's commitment to a long life for their gear.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Patagonia is great, as they will also swap your damaged goods for a brand new item if you are in the middle of ski season. I have also had great luck with Arc
Teryx as they repaired the Zipper and hood on my jacket free of charge, but was a bouta 4-5 week turnaround.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Front zipper comes undone from bottom up. Started doing this a couple years ago but much worse now. I looked at sending it in last winter and it was a minimum of 12 weeks to get it back. Right now they are saying 4. Hoping to have a fully functioning puffy before winter hits.

I just bought a cheap, down Gerry puffy at Costco for $29 as a backup. Seems pretty nice, especially for the price!
Mine is/has been doing same thing…

Care to share the procedure for repair? I could look it up….but this thread is perfect for how to actually do it/from someone who has done it.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sure.

You have to register on their web site and fill in your basic contact info. You do have to give a credit card. They ask you what the issue is. You download an order number page that states what is to be repaired and a shipping label. Box it up and take it to the post office.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Sure.

You have to register on their web site and fill in your basic contact info. You do have to give a credit card. They ask you what the issue is. You download an order number page that states what is to be repaired and a shipping label. Box it up and take it to the post office.
You can also just take it on to your local Patagonia store and they will do the rest ;)

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
sent my wife's and my own puff in, got them back eventually! During the peak of the last year, so undoubtedly faster now...

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Refreshing that these companies maintain this commitment.

I was a Trew Gear fanboy for over a decade and own several Trew pieces. I had an issue with a jacket last year and found that they really gutted the warranty (including items purchased under the original warranty that was like those of the big companies mentioned here). They now call it a “practical warranty”. If items show any signs of age, no warranty. Items purchased on sale, no warranty, etc.

That $29 Gerry puffy from Costco probably didn’t cost Gerry much less than one you buy for $300 from a more elite brand. But for $300 I expect more service after the sale.

Hope this isn’t a trend.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the reminder! I actually need to patch my ski jacket.

Patagonia customer service is top notch. Arcteryx is great too, except my last two interactions with them, I hope it was due to covid and short staff.

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
Can't beat Patagonia customer service. I have one of their parkas, and ripped the sleeve climbing the attic stairs in my garage. Way before Covid and way before NYC turned into a shithole(unsafe, dirty etc). Even though at the time I had my parka many years, I took it to one of their flagship stores. No questions asked, they took it, and shipped it back to me in about a month. No charge. As much as I HATE their political views and website rants, I will continue to buy their products.

James

Out There
Instructor
Must have been before the Great Fire of Sept 20, 1776.
B058121D-FC21-4467-807D-862027B468DA.jpeg

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
As counter point to Patagonia...

I sent some pants back to Strafe to repair a button (warranty issue) and a vent zipper (user error issue). 13 weeks later and they have replaced the button... still waiting for the zipper repair. Finally gave me a rough quote for the zipper repair and it's about 75% the cost of buying some new old stock pants from the web....no ETA either for the zipper repair.

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
2 years ago my daughter had a bad crash that resulted in a tear in both her Patagonia pants and her wool long johns. We took them in to see if there was any way to repair the pants, and the store gave us new pants and long johns and apologized for the long johns being a different color. Their customer service is first class, and I am aligned with their goals of reducing waste by repairing and reusing when possible.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have looked at that Patagonia repair, and always balked at the long time frame.
I am lucky to have a local seamstress who also does outdoor gear, including seam taping.
I had her replace the zipper on the blue Pata fleece jacket with a red one, looks much nicer than stock, got it back in a week, my daughter loves it. That is worth the $15 (and no shipping).

To be clear, I love that companies are doing this, I just wanted to remind people that there migh be another, easier and quicker option.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Puffy is home! New, heavier duty zipper.

Thank you Patagonia!
I had a broken zipper in a Patagonia Gore-Tex jacket. I sent it back, and they gave me credit for a new jacket. Said that they no longer had zippers for the pocket on that jacket, hence the replacement credit. I was happy with that.

My husband had his puffy repaired by Patagonia and was very happy with the result.

I’ve sent Patagonia gear I’ve stopped using back to their Worn Wear site and gotten credit, which I turned around to use for new Patagonia gear…or gear on their Worn Wear site. I‘ve purchased a down sweater and a fishing jacket on their Worn Wear site and both appeared brand new.

Sponsor