• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sepp For The Win!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess I need to check in on that race!

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
The champagne chugging was quite impressive too

That was AMAZING! There is nothing to Sepp as far as body mass. Probably weighs all of 135 pounds. That must have been half a magnum after a huge effort on the bike.

Advance to around 19:30. It may be the most impressive feat of his day!

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
I would like to see Sepp win the GC, but the TT is not designed for a climber like him, so I fear the overall Vuelta win isn't in the books for the Durango Kid.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I would like to see Sepp win the GC, but the TT is not designed for a climber like him, so I fear the overall Vuelta win isn't in the books for the Durango Kid.

I was looking at that - it is a relatively short TT followed by a mtn stage or two. My sense is that the team will fully support his position and a team win - even by their domestic- and there is a lot of HP in that team.

Hopefully. It will be interesting to catch up with him in the fall.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
A few notes regarding Sepp:

1. After the cava chugging session his team directors instructed the podium ceremony crew to not give Sepp the magnum at the red jersey presentation. Something something gotta race again tomorrow something something...

2. Sepp's TT prowess is, as mentioned, not great on a flat, short parcours.

3. TJV still has Roglic and Vingegaard as their primary GC guys, even with Sepp now very much in the mix.

We'll see what transpires. I can't see Roglic or Vingegaard easing up in the TT to protect Sepp. Sepp will race the TT of his life, for sure.

But the main GC favorites - Roglic, Vingegaard, Evenepoel, Mas, Landa, Ayuso, Almeida - are all going to go for it in the TT and try and establish their plans for the next week. Sepp can certainly do well in the mountain stages but the TT is certainly the spanner in the works. On. the other stages he'll either be protected (flat stages) or in the mix (climbing stages).

We shall see...

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
I was looking at that - it is a relatively short TT followed by a mtn stage or two. My sense is that the team will fully support his position and a team win - even by their domestic- and there is a lot of HP in that team.

Hopefully. It will be interesting to catch up with him in the fall.
Sepp finished the time trial 5:14 behind the stage winner Roglic. Hard to overcome that in the competition for the overall. Damn.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Sepp finished the time trial 5:14 behind the stage winner Roglic. Hard to overcome that in the competition for the overall. Damn.

Sepp has not been going full-on in TTs. It will be interesting to see what he does tomorrow.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Sepp has not been going full-on in TTs. It will be interesting to see what he does tomorrow.

That's exactly it: he's never had any reason to go full tilt in a TT as his role has typically been mountain domestique and/or stage hunter. Now? We shall see....

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If this happens we will have one of the nicest GC winners in the entire history.

But I have my doubts. First he will have to not lose too much in the TT and then Jumbo will have to call off the big dogs

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
And third... he would need to finish another 2 weeks without bad days... which would be for the first time in his history, as he had plenty of them even in those few days when he was needed. Going for GC is racing for 21 days, not for few stages scattered around inside of those 21 days when your team needs you, and not hitting wall even once. So realistically... zero chance. But then again, I have been wrong plenty of times, even when it was about things I know something about, and cycling is not one of those things :)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And third... he would need to finish another 2 weeks without bad days... which would be for the first time in his history, as he had plenty of them even in those few days when he was needed. Going for GC is racing for 21 days, not for few stages scattered around inside of those 21 days when your team needs you, and not hitting wall even once. So realistically... zero chance. But then again, I have been wrong plenty of times, even when it was about things I know something about, and cycling is not one of those things :)

Yes. This is what I meant by Jumbo calling off the leaders. Kuss is known for having some spectacularly bad days and when this happens they will have to decide whether Primoz and Jonas will try to support him or fight Remco. A very delicate situation.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I think this is pretty clear who is there to support who. I don't think when it will go for real, Kuss will get any support, not from Roglic and/or Vingegaard but from anyone in TJV. They might be joking now that he's third captain, but I'm pretty sure even now, he's nothing more then domestique even if he currently rides in red jersey. But it's bonus which makes it possible to play games with Evenepoel this way.

Sponsor

Staff online