• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Share your secrets - physical disability and ski gear

TS
lisamamot

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
I’m sorry I don’t have any directly helpful ideas at the moment, but have you reached out to Maine Adaptive for suggestions and resources? What’s your timeline for purchase?

I probably won’t be able to talk to anyone about it sooner, but on-snow training for Vermont Adaptive coaches starts in mid-December and I can certainly ask for tricks and tips for fitting equipment and clothing. Or heck, maybe bring him up for a lesson (you guys can stay with us) and the experts can work directly with him!
He skis with Maine Adaptive already - I haven't found anyone that has hints so far on equipment for his specific situation, but I will sleuth no that again. So sweet for you to offer VT as well ogsmile

Sinecure

Everyone's fav Jewish Santa
Instructor
I have a few students with hemi paresis/plegia. One, who is late 50's and had a stroke 5-6 years ago has found that those rear-entry boots that got re-introduced recently have made getting his boots on and off much easier. I would not hesitate if you have a good bootfitter, to work on lifts and canting to try to get him as neutral as possible, without having to do extra work with his bad leg. If you can find a bootfitter that works with a lot of adaptive students, all the better.

My student struggles with the mitten issue as well. I suggested he get a wool mitten for a base layer, plus a shell mitten with a big gauntlet (like the ones pictured above for an over-glove). I'd done that once when I broke a finger and still needed to ski. He skis with a slider (you've probably seen them if you've been to adaptive programs - they look like an old lady walker with skis instead of tennis balls). But it doesn't sound like your son needs/uses any adaptive equipment.

I assume your son doesn't have the grip strength to use an outrigger in his left hand. That would be a cool thing if it worked. It might also be interesting to experiment with one on his right side to assist with turn initiation since he probably can't generate pressure and angles with his left leg. There's also a side benefit to having outriggers. He probably won't like them because they'll make him stand out on the hill. But standing out isn't always a bad thing. If other skiers give him a little extra room, that's awesome. He probably doesn't make turns like non-disabled skiers. That's understandable, but it isn't always predictable. And when you make turns unpredictably, you're more likely to get bumped into. If he could 4-track, he might really like it.

Does he carry a pole in his left hand? If so, and you can get the LEKI system to work, that might be helpful. If you bring him out to Tahoe, contact me and we'll set up something at Achieve Tahoe. We have some awesome people and tons of adaptive equipment. But I'm guessing your adaptive school does also.

As for skis. If he doesn't venture off-piste or on harder black runs, I'd go with a good front-side ski. Wider isn't going to help him and could cause unnecessary stress on his knee. He's probably not able to generate big angles with his compromised leg, so anything that makes it harder to get the ski on edge (like wider ski) is not going to do him any favors. My guess is he mostly skids his turns, so a ski with a bit of early rise with help make it so he's less likely to catch an edge and can pivot skis easier. And they don't need to be long. I routinely teach on a pair of 158s and I'm 5'10" and 200lbs. When I'm not teaching I can still ski those skis plenty hard.

Keep up the great work. Its great that he's out there and enjoying skiing. See you on the hill.

Here's a pic of me and my student who had a stroke.

IMG_0829 (1).jpeg

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@lisamamot
For the mittens, have you looked at the XC over-strap mittens? They are meant to go over your hand while it’s holding the pole grip, and so they have a velcro closure that wraps the entire back half of the mitten around the hand.

The other thought I ha was adding a zipper to the back of the mitten. This used to be common for snow mobiling

TS
lisamamot

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
those rear-entry boots that got re-introduced recently have made getting his boots on and off much easier. I would not hesitate if you have a good bootfitter, to work on lifts and canting to try to get him as neutral as possible, without having to do extra work with his bad leg. If you can find a bootfitter that works with a lot of adaptive students, all the better.
Thank you for your thoughtful post.

Agree on the rear-entry! Yes, we are currently working with a pedorthist boot fitter - we had a great initial meeting last weekend. Such a thorough review. Due to my son’s limited dorsiflexion in both ankles, he will have heel lifts on both sides - a 3/8” on the right (he gets to 10 degrees without) and a 3/4” on the left (he gets to 0 degrees without).

We are picking up two boots that were recommended and then we will see which one is the fitter’s preference. My son is in love with the Nordica HF - the independence and ease of the on/off plus being confident his left toes are not curled and potentially breaking when he skis is a pretty strong pull! One other boot has been ordered, but unless it is an obviously better fit, the Nordica HF for the win.

He is 6’/200# and has been on the Rossignol Experience 84 170 for several years. Based on adaptive/pedorthist recommendations we are removing the lifter plate from under his left binding; he needs new skis/bindings as the new boots will be GW and we cannot do a remount on his current skis. We ordered him the 2022 Volkl Kanjo 175 - it is all a crap shoot - if they don’t work for him we either sell them, or his twin sister’s boyfriend gets a pair of skis!

I assume your son doesn't have the grip strength to use an outrigger in his left hand. That would be a cool thing if it worked. It might also be interesting to experiment with one on his right side to assist with turn initiation since he probably can't generate pressure and angles with his left leg. There's also a side benefit to having outriggers. He probably won't like them because they'll make him stand out on the hill.

He had a post surgical stroke following his
brain tumor resection when he was 4.5 years old and is now 22. He did not regain notable use of his left hand (he has a little grip, no release) and his left arm is very contracted. He has never used poles our outriggers on either side and isn’t interested in starting now. Creature of habit and quite stubborn! He doesn’t even want to wear the vision impaired bib - says it makes him a target, which I am starting to believe. Unreal.

Video from last March skiing with Maine Adaptive.

Attachments

• Video - Dante skiing .MOV
    16.3 MB · Views: 0
TS
lisamamot

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
@lisamamot
For the mittens, have you looked at the XC over-strap mittens? They are meant to go over your hand while it’s holding the pole grip, and so they have a velcro closure that wraps the entire back half of the mitten around the hand.

The other thought I ha was adding a zipper to the back of the mitten. This used to be common for snow mobiling
Thank you. I have not seen those - trying to understand how they work and wish there was a video! My son does not use poles, but if the XC over-strap mitt is an over mitt that opens up, that could be a great option to satisfy @Sinecure 's recommendation of a wool mitt with a shell over mitt.

TS
lisamamot

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier

Sinecure

Everyone's fav Jewish Santa
Instructor
He had a post surgical stroke following his
brain tumor resection when he was 4.5 years old and is now 22. He did not regain notable use of his left hand (he has a little grip, no release) and his left arm is very contracted. He has never used poles our outriggers on either side and isn’t interested in starting now. Creature of habit and quite stubborn! He doesn’t even want to wear the vision impaired bib - says it makes him a target, which I am starting to believe. Unreal.

Video from last March skiing with Maine Adaptive.

If he won't wear the bib, so be it. If I were him, I'd want a single pole - just for help moving through the lift line.

That looked like good skiing. There's lots to work on, but we all have stuff to work on. Its awesome that he enjoys it. I'm impressed by the amount of pressure he's generating on his left side. That's great.

If he goes skiing with friends instead of adaptive instructors, make sure they really know they are responsible for keeping others from bumping into him. Teach them some things they should be aware of when helping him out. Oh, and if he skis w/out an adaptive instructor, he'll really want that pole for getting through the line since he won't be able to cut the lines (unless he decides to go with the blind skier vest and his partner wears a blind skier guide vest).

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They were advertising these on GMA this morning.

For kids, but they also have adult SML.

Sponsor

Staff online