• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sharing/Selling passes?

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have been seeing lots of posts like these lately...I am pretty sure people do it all the time but to openly talk about it?

D11D0847-0AC4-4A6A-B993-A5BABEBBF882.jpeg
CD7E75AB-869B-4CD7-A8CD-2FFC76373A1F.jpeg

Reactions: Tex

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At the very least, they will pull the pass and probably ban both individuals from purchasing passes in the future. At the very most, someone might get charged with a crime.

20220105_172130.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At Winter Park the lifties at the base can see the pass photo on a screen as you go through the rfid gates, so if you don't look like the image on the pass, you are taking a big risk, not to mention the fact that it is just plain not the right thing to do.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They don't look at the picture on the pass because they don't need to. The handheld scanner will display your pass picture, as can the tablet you'll sometimes see someone holding behind an RFID gate, watching people go through. Some resorts just use a camera mounted somewhere on the lift.

Maybe you'll get lucky if you look similar enough to whoever you're sharing a pass with.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am not promoting it but it sounds pretty easy, until you get caught.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They don't look at the picture on the pass because they don't need to. The handheld scanner will display your pass picture, as can the tablet you'll sometimes see someone holding behind an RFID gate, watching people go through. Some resorts just use a camera mounted somewhere on the lift.

Maybe you'll get lucky if you look similar enough to whoever you're sharing a pass with.
The last time I skied at a Vail Resort the scanner popped up a name but not a picture. Not sure if they updated that to include a picture.

IKON has the picture as does Rose.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A few years ago a guy deliberately colided with a coach at Alpine Meadows. He got his pass pulled because he was being a jerk about it cussing at patrol, threatening to fight them and the guy he hit.
He left Alpine, and went to Squaw with his wife's pass. They are both banned for life from Squaw/Alpine.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
At the JHMR gathering I watched a kid get busted trying to use his mom's employee pass. My first thought was " I hope it doesn't jeopardize her employment", my second was thinking what an entitled little s**t he was because he seemed completely unconcerned about the consequences.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At Sugarbush, VT, an Altera/IKON resort your pass picture comes up on a tablet screen as you go through the scanner gates; they are checking.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I could never do that as I have to sleep at night, guess I was raised different. A friend offered me his pass at one time, I refused. How can a person enjoy a day skiing not worrying about getting caught. Kinda like fishing without a license, what fun is that?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When we were at Jackson Hole last, while we were getting on the Casper chair, the liftie in the corner says "Hi Graham, Hi Cara" as we passed by. So we started to chat (it was quiet at the time) He showed us his monitor. Everybody shows up on his screen as they go through. Of course we asked if anybody gets caught, and yes they do. He told us of one person who had bought an Ikon from a lady (kind of obvious) He got a substantial fine , and the lady is permanently barred from buying a pass

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Know that in Big White and on Australian ski fields where they have proximity passes there are resort employees with a console checking folks out. They have pictures and other details (M/F, height, names). And will use that to check out people as they pass through. Even calling out names to see if people react as expected - we are all pretty quick to hear our own name.

I know BW paid like a C$40 incentive for every person the resort employee sprung.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The last time I skied at a Vail Resort the scanner popped up a name but not a picture. Not sure if they updated that to include a picture.
That's possible. I'm not sure I've ever looked closely at one of the Vail scanners, though I remember seeing something that looked a bit like a picture on a visit in the past couple years. No reason Vail shouldn't be able to add that functionality.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Some resorts just use a camera mounted somewhere on the lift.

W/B had the cameras at the village gondola back in 2016. All skiers are asked by lift op to raise their goggles when going through the scanner. No issues with sunglasses. No idea whether they were running a facial recognition program or just reducing the clutter for their existing optical scanners* employed.

* The standard model of optical scanners employed by most resorts is the Mark IV eyeballs issued to the lifties by Mother Nature.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have heard that they take a photo of you the first time you go through the scanner, and that is the photo that pops up the rest of the day. ie, so you are revealing your outfit that day, and if you go through wearing something completely different, it will be very obvious. Not sure which resorts have this capability.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
No reason Vail shouldn't be able to add that functionality.
Vail itself does have that functionality in its scanners. Moreover, upon scanning the liftie calls out your name, looks at you and looks for a reaction that might tell them you're not the actual passholder.

Sponsor