• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sharing/Selling passes?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Show of hands..who has reached into a toilet to retrieve items?!?! Come on! I know some of you have! :ogbiggrin:
Office cell phone in the urinal at the old Slide side "lodge". It's amazing how fast you'll reach for a Blackberry. Yes, it was that long ago. And the L and K keys never worked right again.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven’t bought a day pass in years, but as more places go to RFID and having people set up accounts to buy a day pass, it seems like it’ll get more difficult to resell a day pass.
Yep. At Rose there's no more hanger ticket. All cards, and if you reload it you get a small price break. If you change it to a season pass you get the cost of the day ticket removed from the season pass cost. Last year @Stephen used one of my buddy passes, then got a season pass to finish a few days at Rose and ski this season too. Even though the buddy pass was discounted, I *believe* he got credit for the cost of a window pass.

Back on track, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So I get the logic behind I bought a four pack and only used 3 days why not sell the fourth day, or letting someone use the unused day on a multi-day pass. This was definitely easier to get away with in the past with hanger tickets, and probably still works at some resorts. So while in one sense it is a victimless crime, unfortunately it is against the rules and if you get caught there will be consequences. With RFID passes you will definitely get caught. Having parents share one pass while the take turns watching their baby/small children is a great idea and something I wish all resorts would enable, alas most do not so if you get caught doing this they will punish you.

Now when it comes to sharing or reselling season, Epic or Ikon Passes even if you did not use them much, that to me seems clearly in the wrong. If you do not like the terms associated with these passes or do not think you will use them enough to justify buying one, then don't buy one. None of these products are designed to be refunded in a fair or efficient way so in that sense not very customer friendly ... but we already knew that lol.

And last but not least based on the details in this thread, I would advise everyone against borrowing @Andy Mink's Cell phone as we now all know where it has been. Andy I do not want to use your peepee phone :roflmao:

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
The wording on the Vail complimentary passes is confusing. Vail issues a certain number of complimentary full day passes and half price day passes to employees. The employee's name is on the passes. It states that the passes are non transferable even though the passes are meant to be given out to a person of their choosing. Vail employees get a free season pass so they don't use these day passes for themselves.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The wording on the Vail complimentary passes is confusing. Vail issues a certain number of complimentary full day passes and half price day passes to employees. The employee's name is on the passes. It states that the passes are non transferable even though the passes are meant to be given out to a person of their choosing. Vail employees get a free season pass so they don't use these day passes for themselves.
yea that sounds confusing. If they took out the "non-transferable" though, some people might interpret that as multiple people on sameday. So maybe they retained just the same boilerplate.

If sounds like they needed another layer to clear it up legal language; but that is just complexity, if employees can follow the intention without needing the legalese.
It should've been something like the employee gets vouchers that are redeemable for a daypass. The voucher to obtain the daypass is assignable, but the daypass is non-transferable once issued.

James

Out There
Instructor
It should've been something like the employee gets vouchers that are redeemable for a daypass
That’s what it is. It’s a paper ticket someone presents to get an rfid day pass or a reduced cost rfid day pass. You can’t just go to the lift with the paper ticket.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I beleive Loveland 4 packs are not one person specific, they are bought, sold and traded on the open market especially in the Spring.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
selling, trading, is theft of services--

What Are Fraudulent Ski Lift Tickets?​

States where skiing is a popular sport, such as California, Colorado, Utah, and Vermont, have created special kinds of laws to protect resorts and their patrons from fraud. These laws make it a crime to try to ski or snowboard with a fake, stolen, borrowed, or even without a lift ticket, and are different from traditional theft or fraud crimes.

What Qualifies as a Ski Lift Ticket?​

One reason this type of crime has required special enforcement is many different objects may qualify as a ski lift ticket. Depending on the resort, paper tickets, employee badges, pins, coupons, or other devices that allow their holder to use or enjoy a ski resort can all be considered ski lift tickets.

What Qualifies as Using a Fraudulent Ski Lift Ticket?​

There several acts that constitute using a fraudulent ski lift ticket. Common acts include:
  • Reselling, or offering to resell, a ski lift ticket without authorization from the resort
  • Stealing another person’s ski lift ticket and trying to use it at a ski resort
  • Borrowing another person’s ski lift ticket and trying to use it at a ski resort
  • Manufacturing a fake ski lift ticket, and either using it at a ski resort or attempting to sell it to another.
  • Using a resort’s ski area without paying for use

What Penalties Can I Face for Fraudulent Ski Lift Tickets?​

Each state has different penalties for using fraudulent ski lift tickets. Generally, penalties include:
  • Fine: Ranging from $300 – $500
  • Jail time: If available, it will likely not be longer than 1 year, or
  • Both: It is possible to be faced with fines and jail time

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Forgive me for I have sinned. When my kids were like 4 and 5 we always got asked of they were twins. Neither one could ski an easy green top to bottom solo yet, it was still at the me carrying them part or all the way down phase. Took them to a crowded NC ski resort on a holiday weekend. Bought one kid's day ticket for the kids to share and one adult ticket for me.. Skied with older one for an hour while mom hung out in the lodge with the other one. Mom doesn't ski at all. Then we traded kids, switched jackets (with lift ticket), and I skied with the other one for an hour. We hung out a little while longer buying lodge food and hot cocoa for all then called it a day. I don't feel even remotely guilty about only buying one day ticket for them.. skied for a little over two hours total We spent good money on their cash cow lodge food.. and it was so busy that we couldn't have gotten either of them in a lesson if we had tried Sorry, not sorry...

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I beleive Loveland 4 packs are not one person specific, they are bought, sold and traded on the open market especially in the Spring.
Sugarbush in VT has long sold 4-packs that were transferrable and anyone could use. I sold an extra one at cost to an Epicskier at a NE Gathering a ways back.

I think they still do this. They are now owned by Alterra so things may be changing.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Last week there was someone walking down the super long lift ticket line trying to sell two unused day tickets for $10 less. They said that two people in their group got injured the day before and the resort wouldn't refund their pre paid lift tickets. If they had been half day instead of full day I might have bought them just to skip the massive line at the ticket window.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've done it at least twice... :ogbiggrin: there may have been more in a state of inebriation that may be a bit fuzzy nowadays!!
lol, no alcohol for me. I was showing a house and the people walked in on me- I jumped up and plunk!! always lock the bathroom door is my other memo!

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've done it at least twice... :ogbiggrin: there may have been more in a state of inebriation that may be a bit fuzzy nowadays!!
Done that I think about 3 times!

2 out of three, the phone continue to work just fine. Nowadays, many of the phones are "water resistant".

I also heard from at least 4 other people who did the same.

I should ask who flush their cell phone down the toilet? Raise your hand.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Forgive me for I have sinned. When my kids were like 4 and 5 we always got asked of they were twins. Neither one could ski an easy green top to bottom solo yet, it was still at the me carrying them part or all the way down phase. Took them to a crowded NC ski resort on a holiday weekend. Bought one kid's day ticket for the kids to share and one adult ticket for me.. Skied with older one for an hour while mom hung out in the lodge with the other one. Mom doesn't ski at all. Then we traded kids, switched jackets (with lift ticket), and I skied with the other one for an hour. We hung out a little while longer buying lodge food and hot cocoa for all then called it a day. I don't feel even remotely guilty about only buying one day ticket for them.. skied for a little over two hours total We spent good money on their cash cow lodge food.. and it was so busy that we couldn't have gotten either of them in a lesson if we had tried Sorry, not sorry...
A lot of family friendly resorts give tickets for young children for free or at a nominal rate. I remember when my kids started to cross that threshold and skiing as a family became more expensive. I also remember when you used to be able to get a kids mountain collective pass for $1 if you bought an adult pass, that was a sweet deal.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Office cell phone in the urinal at the old Slide side "lodge". It's amazing how fast you'll reach for a Blackberry. Yes, it was that long ago. And the L and K keys never worked right again.
Happened to me as well with an old Nokia phone, a loong time ago...since then been using a lanyard or keep the phone in a well zipped pocket...(see also my story about my smartphone skiing better than me...)

As for "disgorging" toilets...one of my at-the-mountain-neighboroughs was running , back inthe '80s, with the family, a mountain hut (Rifugio di Alta Montagna), same place where Pope John Paul II used to go skiing. One summer he did recount us the procedure to disgorge the hut toilets...it involved a thick rope, one man upstream and one man downstream from the pipes and vigorous pulling on either side (think a two men team sawing a tree)...imagine the consequences for the man "downstream"...him being the least favoured fiancee of the boss daughter (and a city flatlander) was always selected to be the "downstream" one...
Yep. At Rose there's no more hanger ticket. All cards, and if you reload it you get a small price break. If you change it to a season pass you get the cost of the day ticket removed from the season pass cost. Last year @Stephen used one of my buddy passes, then got a season pass to finish a few days at Rose and ski this season too. Even though the buddy pass was discounted, I *believe* he got credit for the cost of a window pass.

Back on track, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
In Italy the RFID card is subject to a 5 euro deposit fee. But if one keeps the card and present it at the next purchase, those 5 euro are paid just once (in cased of purchase at the same resort, of course)

On the subject of passes legal status, jurisprudence here is drawing parallels with
a)A transportation service contract between seller and buyer , thus tickets are non resellable nor transferrable
b)A transportation ticket (like a train ticket).

Sponsor