• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sharing/Selling passes?

TS
FlyingAce

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Got another one today!!
9FF64708-0707-4035-8542-629E73114BB4.jpeg

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Wow if I had a nickle for every time someone posted something colossally stupid on social media .... That said Vail is so out of touch with their customers these days they may not even know that they are active on social media :roflmao:
They did own an Epic ski site for awhile.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Person rents their Epic pass out to random marketplace person. Person keeps it and keeps skiing. Epic pass owner has to report it stolen. Wonder what kind of questions they have to answer before it's replaced???

ZeeJM

Not available in any store.
Skier
Plenty of "Pass for sale" and "Pass wanted" activity on reddit (/r/epicpass and /r/ikonpass)....

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Plenty of "Pass for sale" and "Pass wanted" activity on reddit (/r/epicpass and /r/ikonpass)....
And that runs the risk that they take the money, hand over the pass, then report it stolen. Buyer plays innocent like they didn't know it was against the rules to buy it from someone else.. Just all kinds of things can go wrong with these agreements/transactions.

The resort social media managers should be looking for those ads and responding to them from an alias account to bust the sellers/renters..

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
We’re at the point where you need to commit to holiday skiing days or weeks in advance. If ski areas don’t want to make that refundable, they should at least allow reselling on secure platforms like Stub Hub. It’s a lot easier to buy in advance if you know you can recover some of your losses if your plans go sideways. It seems like the right approach for both skiers and resorts.

dm

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We’re at the point where you need to commit to holiday skiing days or weeks in advance. If ski areas don’t want to make that refundable, they should at least allow reselling on secure platforms like Stub Hub. It’s a lot easier to buy in advance if you know you can recover some of your losses if your plans go sideways. It seems like the right approach for both skiers and resorts.

dm
This will definitely lead to way fewer people buying passes and way more groups just going in together on ONE to share. I'm good with that but Epic, IKON, Resorts, etc all see lower revenues by allowing that..

Would be really cool if they did that and still had buddy day passes at a big discount. That way of two in the group wanted to ski the same day, just split the buddy ticket price and ski together.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
This thread makes me rethink how rare I thought Pass fraud was/is but I still feel that the reward offered to employees for catching the rare scofflaw tends to incentivize police power over customer service/experience. When I’m at a Vail resort I feel like a customer at a store who gets stopped at the door by a security guard asking for proof of payment. I don’t like the assumption of guilt implication. I find it offensive.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
My parents bought me the 12 & Under ticket through my senior year in high school when we skied at Mt Snow in the 80s. I guess that's fraud. I hated it because they used to write your age in a circle on your ticket in a sharpie and it made it harder to talk to boys when my lift ticket said 12.

And I'm with @raytseng - I feel like you should be able to sell an unused ticket in a pre-purchased 4-pack - but Palisades doesn't let you. To me, that's kind of lame.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Forgive me for I have sinned. When my kids were like 4 and 5 we always got asked of they were twins. Neither one could ski an easy green top to bottom solo yet, it was still at the me carrying them part or all the way down phase. Took them to a crowded NC ski resort on a holiday weekend. Bought one kid's day ticket for the kids to share and one adult ticket for me.. Skied with older one for an hour while mom hung out in the lodge with the other one. Mom doesn't ski at all. Then we traded kids, switched jackets (with lift ticket), and I skied with the other one for an hour. We hung out a little while longer buying lodge food and hot cocoa for all then called it a day. I don't feel even remotely guilty about only buying one day ticket for them.. skied for a little over two hours total We spent good money on their cash cow lodge food.. and it was so busy that we couldn't have gotten either of them in a lesson if we had tried Sorry, not sorry...
I never had to do this. My kid was short, and free, until her fourth season skiing. By which point she was skiing as long as I was.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow if I had a nickle for every time someone posted something colossally stupid on social media .... That said Vail is so out of touch with their customers these days they may not even know that they are active on social media :roflmao:

They did own an Epic ski site for awhile.

But they were largely unaware that they did!
When we were in a budget meeting for EpicSki at "the mothership", one of the things they talked about was cutting out a specific social media person because they didn't see a return on it.

We informed them that EpicSki was a form of social media and they said. "Oh."

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
The current season ski passes are discounted so much that any fraud with them has no justification. The lifties have to enforce the pass compliance, otherwise the fraud will be rampant (this is perhaps a pessimistic statement on the skiing public, but I feel that it is accurate). If you buy a season pass, you not paying anything close to the real cost of using the resort, so I have very little sympathy for people who wine about not boing able to go on their planned trip and thus not get enough value of their passes.

I am a bit less militant on the window day passes, which are expensive. I see how a couple should be able to share a pass while taking turns to babysit. On the other hand that opens the are up to other fraud. Squaw has no pass gates at the upper lifts, so I have seen many times how a large group would buy buying two passes and use them to shuttle people to the upper mountain where they pretty much ski for free as long as they do not come down until the end of the day. It's not just corporations, people can be a$$holes too :).

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Forgive me for I have sinned. When my kids were like 4 and 5 we always got asked of they were twins. Neither one could ski an easy green top to bottom solo yet, it was still at the me carrying them part or all the way down phase. Took them to a crowded NC ski resort on a holiday weekend. Bought one kid's day ticket for the kids to share and one adult ticket for me.. Skied with older one for an hour while mom hung out in the lodge with the other one. Mom doesn't ski at all. Then we traded kids, switched jackets (with lift ticket), and I skied with the other one for an hour. We hung out a little while longer buying lodge food and hot cocoa for all then called it a day. I don't feel even remotely guilty about only buying one day ticket for them.. skied for a little over two hours total We spent good money on their cash cow lodge food.. and it was so busy that we couldn't have gotten either of them in a lesson if we had tried Sorry, not sorry...
Not sure I would admit this.

Sponsor

Staff online