• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sharing/Selling passes?

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
My parents bought me the 12 & Under ticket through my senior year in high school when we skied at Mt Snow in the 80s. I guess that's fraud. I hated it because they used to write your age in a circle on your ticket in a sharpie and it made it harder to talk to boys when my lift ticket said 12.

And I'm with @raytseng - I feel like you should be able to sell an unused ticket in a pre-purchased 4-pack - but Palisades doesn't let you. To me, that's kind of lame.
Thinking mom and dad knew exactly what they were doing...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I am a bit less militant on the window day passes, which are expensive. I see how a couple should be able to share a pass while taking turns to babysit.
That's pretty much what we did only one 4 year old was babysitting mom in the lodge while I skied 2 runs with the other one.
Ends justifies the means?
Victimless crime buying an 8 hour ticket and using it 2 hours total, but with two different kids... It wasn't even skiing so much as standing in brutal lines.. Taking them both out there at the same time (though that was not humanly possible remember no instructors available) would have actually made the line slightly worse. It ended up being 2 runs each 4 runs total for the price of a full day ticket So get off your high horse LOL!

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's pretty much what we did only one 4 year old was babysitting mom in the lodge while I skied 2 runs with the other one.

Victimless crime buying an 8 hour ticket and using it 2 hours total, but with two different kids... It wasn't even skiing so much as standing in brutal lines.. Taking them both out there at the same time (though that was not humanly possible remember no instructors available) would have actually made the line slightly worse. It ended up being 2 runs each 4 runs total for the price of a full day ticket So get off your high horse LOL!
No high horse. Seems like you are proud that you are sticking it to the man. Whatever.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier

Skiing is an expensive sport and it can be hard to justify buying a lift ticket and then only skiing two runs or worse none at all because you are dealing with kids. We’ve all been there. Luckily some hills know this and build products and programs to get young families skiing. While I get the rationale for sharing lift tickets in these situations, you always run the risk of getting caught and kicked off the hill in front of your kids, not sure that risk is worth the money you are saving. It is also probably is not the best example to set for your kids.

My recommendation is that if you are teaching your young children to ski, find a hill that caters to this and lets you share lift tickets or get cheap bunny hill passes, or even better gives really young kids free lift tickets ... etc. I did this with my kids found and some great options for lessons that included lift tickets. My older two girls (5 and 6 at the time) would take lessons, while I skied with my 2 year old son between my legs, he got a free lift ticket and I would get a beginners lift ticket since we stayed on the bunny hill. Never got that many runs in on those days but got to spend a ton of quality time with my kids who have all found a love and passion for skiing.

There are lots of options out there for young families getting their kids started on skis that do not break the bank. If you chose to go to an expensive hill that does not make accommodations for families with young kids, that is your choice and you need to abide by their rules whether you like them or not and some times that means buying an 8 hour lift ticket and only skiing 2.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No high horse. Seems like you are proud that you are sticking it to the man. Whatever.
I went there with every intention of putting them both in lessons and skiing, paying full walk up price for all. They didn't give me that option. Poor yield management is on them. With no possible way for us all to ski at the same time walking away without skiing at all costs me the time. gas, hotel, etc to travel there . Seems more like they OWE ME that...

Taking a creative way to at least let each of us ski for an hour or two, even if SLIGHTLY dishonest is definitely the lessor of two evils here. You're clueless to the opportunity costs of your customers if you still believe what I did was sleezy or extremely dishonest.. .

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Skiing is an expensive sport and it can be hard to justify buying a lift ticket and then only skiing two runs or worse none at all because you are dealing with kids. We’ve all been there. Luckily some hills know this and build products and programs to get young families skiing. While I get the rationale for sharing lift tickets in these situations, you always run the risk of getting caught and kicked off the hill in front of your kids, not sure that risk is worth the money you are saving. It is also probably is not the best example to set for your kids.

My recommendation is that if you are teaching your young children to ski, find a hill that caters to this and lets you share lift tickets or get cheap bunny hill passes, or even better gives really young kids free lift tickets ... etc. I did this with my kids found and some great options for lessons that included lift tickets. My older two girls (5 and 6 at the time) would take lessons, while I skied with my 2 year old son between my legs, he got a free lift ticket and I would get a beginners lift ticket since we stayed on the bunny hill. Never got that many runs in on those days but got to spend a ton of quality time with my kids who have all found a love and passion for skiing.

There are lots of options out there for young families getting their kids started on skis that do not break the bank. If you chose to go to an expensive hill that does not make accommodations for families with young kids, that is your choice and you need to abide by their rules whether you like them or not and some times that means buying an 8 hour lift ticket and only skiing 2.
I went there 100% ready to pay for what was advertised. It wasn't available when we showed up. Put yourself in those shoes.. Leaving because the kids aren't gelling is not a problem. Paying to travel there, stay in a hotel, kids wanting to ski an taking a shortcut to cut our losses might seem reasonable to you in my shoes..

Just giving a legit devil's advocate to this thread of you perfect people talking about imperfect people. Hey look at me, I'm not perfect and here's why. I'm sure none of you ever drove over the speed limit with kids in your car, bad example right? I'm sure none of you ever smoked weed in some situation where it was illegal.. I'm sure none of you ever brought a flask skiing... You can be kicked out of the resort for some of those things too right??

Carry on LOL!

This was me right?
1642258033543.png

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Here's another one I've heard folks talking about. Some resorts offer special "shop passes" to ski shops in town to use to test skis and stuff like that. They're transferrable to be used by any shop employee. Sometimes those are loaned out to friends of shop employees. I haven't been the beneficiary of one of those arrangements but I've ridden a lift with someone who was skiing under that arrangement..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK so as mentioned the split a ticket for 4 total ski runs when lessons were supposed to be an option but turned out to be unavailable was a one time thing15 years ago, but I'd do it again under the same scenario.. Not likely though because now most places have better reservations and online booking for lessons.

Here's some other slightly illegal, unmetrical or proper etiquette violations I've either been guilty of or an accessory to MANY times..

I already mentioned flasks.. and bota bags.. Alcohol consumed on resort property but not purchased from the resort or consumed in an area designated for alcohol consumption. How about a beer or two in the parking lot? Many do but frowned upon by law enforcement and the resort.. How about during COVID parking lot time when you can't buy a beer in the lodge? Definite grey area but still probably technically illegal.

Someone in the group is brown bagging. But others are getting the lodge food. There are not any tables open in the brown bag area that can seat everyone in our group. But, there are tables in the lodge food customer area and 3 of 4 are getting lodge food so 4th sits at their table and eats' their sandwich.. I know... they buy a small drink so they are a "paying customer" so all good right?? But the sign says "no brown bag lunches in this area".. It doesn't say.. "unless you by a drink". Been in that scenario a hundred times and only a few stink eyes. The 100% ethical proper etiquette way would be to either split up or wait for a table to open up in the brown bag area..

Finally, and this one happened the day I sinned.. Lodge mom camping out at a lodge table for over 2 hours baby sitting non skiing kid.... sipping a coffee with free refills.. also buying kid a hot cocoa.. but hours.. IMHO, that is the one that impacts other guests and the resort more than sharing a ticket for 2 hours did. And, if they had been able to get the kids in lessons lodge mom would have been camping at that table a lot longer..

So flame away. I expected it. But who here is free of sin??

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here's another one I've heard folks talking about. Some resorts offer special "shop passes" to ski shops in town to use to test skis and stuff like that. They're transferrable to be used by any shop employee. Sometimes those are loaned out to friends of shop employees. I haven't been the beneficiary of one of those arrangements but I've ridden a lift with someone who was skiing under that arrangement..
The legendary Ski Town photocopied pass. The pass actually said it was good for an employee and guest so it was legit (I went with an employee).

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The legendary Ski Town photocopied pass. The pass actually said it was good for an employee and guest so it was legit (I went with an employee).
Oh and they have them legit to DEMO skis. I've heard tale of people letting a friend borrow it for the day with NO ski shop employee present. That's pretty sketchy..

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK so as mentioned the split a ticket for 4 total ski runs when lessons were supposed to be an option but turned out to be unavailable was a one time thing15 years ago, but I'd do it again under the same scenario.. Not likely though because now most places have better reservations and online booking for lessons.

Here's some other slightly illegal, unmetrical or proper etiquette violations I've either been guilty of or an accessory to MANY times..

I already mentioned flasks.. and bota bags.. Alcohol consumed on resort property but not purchased from the resort or consumed in an area designated for alcohol consumption. How about a beer or two in the parking lot? Many do but frowned upon by law enforcement and the resort.. How about during COVID parking lot time when you can't buy a beer in the lodge? Definite grey area but still probably technically illegal.

Someone in the group is brown bagging. But others are getting the lodge food. There are not any tables open in the brown bag area that can seat everyone in our group. But, there are tables in the lodge food customer area and 3 of 4 are getting lodge food so 4th sits at their table and eats' their sandwich.. I know... they buy a small drink so they are a "paying customer" so all good right?? But the sign says "no brown bag lunches in this area".. It doesn't say.. "unless you by a drink". Been in that scenario a hundred times and only a few stink eyes. The 100% ethical proper etiquette way would be to either split up or wait for a table to open up in the brown bag area..

Finally, and this one happened the day I sinned.. Lodge mom camping out at a lodge table for over 2 hours baby sitting non skiing kid.... sipping a coffee with free refills.. also buying kid a hot cocoa.. but hours.. IMHO, that is the one that impacts other guests and the resort more than sharing a ticket for 2 hours did. And, if they had been able to get the kids in lessons lodge mom would have been camping at that table a lot longer..

Getting the free 5 year old pass for a 6 year old is tempting for many young families.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
These are few and far between any more.

I recently asked Mt. Rose if I could buy some sort of open/industry pass because we have people come in and out of town a lot and this really is for professional purpose because we have people visit from out of town a lot to test skis. Unfortunately they do not offer one.

Last edited by a moderator:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
There's legal, and then there's right and wrong. Using someone else's season's pass is illegal and wrong IMHO. Buying one full day ticket and having it used by anyone, including different people, for the full day may be illegal, but I'm not convinced it's wrong. I guess it depends on your experience; in my experience day tickets are expected to be (and were) used for the full day, with the exception proving the rule. I Don't expect a season's pass to be used every day of the season.

dovski

Skier
I went there 100% ready to pay for what was advertised. It wasn't available when we showed up. Put yourself in those shoes.. Leaving because the kids aren't gelling is not a problem. Paying to travel there, stay in a hotel, kids wanting to ski an taking a shortcut to cut our losses might seem reasonable to you in my shoes..

Just giving a legit devil's advocate to this thread of you perfect people talking about imperfect people. Hey look at me, I'm not perfect and here's why. I'm sure none of you ever drove over the speed limit with kids in your car, bad example right? I'm sure none of you ever smoked weed in some situation where it was illegal.. I'm sure none of you ever brought a flask skiing... You can be kicked out of the resort for some of those things too right??

Carry on LOL!

This was me right?
View attachment 155238
I think my point is that I have been exactly in your shoes with three kids 2, 5 and 6. So I completely understand and relate to the situation you were in, as I have been in almost the exact same situation myself. No one on this thread is judging you, if anything we can relate to your frustration, but we also are not endorsing your creative solution. My second point is that with young children their options at many resorts, but this does require a little planning. Just showing up at a hill and trying to book lessons on the spot is hit or miss and these days it is usually a miss as there is a shortage of instructors. I would also add that not all skis schools are created equal especially when it comes to little ones, so it pays to do your research.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
This has been going on for an extremely long time here in the Wasatch and continues to this day.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I have to say that if these are the extent of your transgressions you really have nothing to fear in the hereafter! You desperado you!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
but this does require a little planning. Just showing up at a hill and trying to book lessons on the spot is hit or miss and these days it is usually a miss as there is a shortage of instructors. I would also add that not all skis schools are created equal especially when it comes to little ones, so it pays to do your research.
@dovski

I called them and spoke with the ski school the week before our trip. They assured is we would be able to put the kids in lessons that day and no advanced reservations were required.. This was 15 years ago and MLK Day wasn't as big thing back then. That's the point I'm making here.. WE TRIED to do it right. And when that wasn't happening we took a short cut, cut our losses to a short day of a couple runs as cheaply as possible then left.. I don't condone sharing tickets when the resort is living up to what they promised.. But for two hours when the didn't I'll do what seems fair to ME.

dovski

Skier
@dovski

I called them and spoke with the ski school the week before our trip. They assured is we would be able to put the kids in lessons that day and no advanced reservations were required.. This was 15 years ago and MLK Day wasn't as big thing back then. That's the point I'm making here.. WE TRIED to do it right. And when that wasn't happening we took a short cut, cut our losses to a short day of a couple runs as cheaply as possible then left.. I don't condone sharing tickets when the resort is living up to what they promised.. But for two hours when the didn't I'll do what seems fair to ME.
Completely feel your pain on this one. The resort clearly let you down in a big way. For me bad service like that is a deal breaker, I take my business elsewhere. At the same time I learned very early in life not to leave things to chance especially when investing in travel/vacations. That is just me I am a planner, pretty sure the 18-20 something answering phones at the ski school when you called was not lol. Situation is even worse today at resorts. Bottom line is you were face with a bad situation and you improvised to make the best of it, we get it. More importantly it sucks that the resort let you down the way they did because even with you improvised solution you didn't really get your money's worth from the lift tickets.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Completely feel your pain on this one. The resort clearly let you down in a big way. For me bad service like that is a deal breaker, I take my business elsewhere. At the same time I learned very early in life not to leave things to chance especially when investing in travel/vacations. That is just me I am a planner, pretty sure the 18-20 something answering phones at the ski school when you called was not lol. Situation is even worse today at resorts. Bottom line is you were face with a bad situation and you improvised to make the best of it, we get it. More importantly it sucks that the resort let you down the way they did because even with you improvised solution you didn't really get your money's worth from the lift tickets.
Full disclosure, I worked for the ski school at my home mountain as an instructor in high school and was well aware that holidays, even new ones, can be understaffed. They seemed pretty confident and dismissive. We had a good day after the disappointment of reality that it was going to be a lot shorter and taxing than we had hoped. The kids were fine and happy, mostly unaware that things didn't go as we hoped.

Moral of the story (no pun intended LOL), is that there are few absolutes when it comes to what's legal, ethical, and fair for all parties involved. I'm not up on exceptions where refunding or transferring a pass is reasonable, injury or death of primary holder?

Sponsor

Staff online