• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sharpened Edges for Spring Skiing?

RollingLeaf

Booting up
Skier
Howdy. I'm headed up to the Sierras next week for my first and last skiing of the year. I bought new skis last year and my season was cut short (like everyone else), so my skis are in decent shape. There are a few minor grooves on the base, but no rust. I'm probably going to get them waxed.

I'm wondering, is it necessary to get them sharpened? From what I understand, the snow is mostly slush at this point. I'm just worried about the snow gripping my skis, which I assume the waxing will prevent.

Thanks!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I would not be too worried about it. If you get a sudden freeze, it will be nice to have sharp edges, but 99% of my spring skiing has not required sharp edges. In fact my spring skis (~20 year old 190 cm Volant Machetes) have worn edges and a steel cap, so I don't bother sharpening them.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you're getting freeze-thaw cycles and plan to head out first thing in the morning, sharp edges are a big plus. If you're later in the spring where you may not get a full freeze overnight, or you show up late after things have already softened up, you can get away with dull edges. I try to keep mine reasonably sharp but I'm not obsessive about it like a racer who probably sharpens their skis before every ski day.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Wax and check for rock damage, burrs....and diamond cleanup....every ski day. That's how I roll...most ski trips. Miss a day rarely.

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
Most of the info was mentioned here. Look at the weather. If it's going to stay below freezing for 2 or 3 days, maybe get the edges done. More often that not, the night and morning are crisp but my 9:30 it's slush again.

Don't overthink it. If they are going to be put back in storage soon after, it might be good just to get base grooves repaired and the edges done to shave off any pockets that could hide moisture during the summer months.

TS
RollingLeaf

RollingLeaf

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the responses. It's a little late in the year for 2-3 days of below freezing weather. I'll probably just go with the waxing and save the tune up for the Fall.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I just skied 4 days on Mt Hood and I'm glad I had sharp edges. For the 1st morning runs, and for all of the night skiing runs.

The actual soft snow of course did not need sharp edges. But it's really nice to have them when you enter a shaded run that is still firmly frozen.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I’ve skied with temperature in the 50s, didn’t go below 40 the night before, and it was still icy. Sharpen.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve skied with temperature in the 50s, didn’t go below 40 the night before, and it was still icy. Sharpen.
That's New England alright.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I've noticed that wind seems to stiffen up what by temperature-rights should be a soft surface, especially if there is no sun on it.

Also, don't forget that there may still be a hard-frozen base underneath affecting the (should-be) softer surface above.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I took out my SL skis that have .75 / 3 bevels and are sharp. While not imperative, sharp edges made the morning quite fun. Nothing was softening up in the overcast and wind.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Being from the mid-Atlantic originally, I'm far fonder of ice than "swamp snow'' so I make sure to use my "ice skates" in the spring. 3° side bevel. My goal is to LEAVE before the base elevation has turned into quicksand, so I get there early.

RobertRS

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I skied Sugar Bowl today and Sierra at Tahoe Monday and Tuesday, at both resorts and all three days it was frozen in the AM. Last night got down to 26 degrees but over 50 during the day. Last week the 4 days I skied in the Sierra's were similar.

So yes sharp edges are useful. I start at 9 am so I expect the firm early conditions. Last time I looked next week was forecast to be about 4 or 5 degrees warmer than this week.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's been cold enough at night that conditions have been starting very firm in the AM with north and west aspects staying hard longer into the day. Sharp edges will be an asset early and no hinderence as it softens.

Sponsor

Staff online