• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shell Advice

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
I’ve been looking for my first shell jacket . I’m a bigger guy and supplies are limited this year for 2x. I only get to ski 5-7 days a year usually on one trip in early March so I don’t want to spend a fortune but I don’t want junk either in case I catch bad conditions on my trip. So far I’ve only been able to find two options I’m somewhat interested in . One is an Obermeyer Foraker . It has a removable hood, pass pocket ,sealed seams , ect. Not sure how their “hydroblock “ compares to Gore Tex. The other is a Spyder Able Gtx . It also has all the features I’m looking for except I’m not sure if it has a pass pocket and has Gore Tex 2 layer ? Does anyone have either of these jackets ? Does anyone know how Obermeyers hydroblock compares to 2 layer gore Tex? I’m open to any other suggestions as well.

Last edited:

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
With so few skidays you could consider a versatile shell jackets to get more use out of it.

TS
M

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
With so few skidays you could consider a versatile shell jackets to get more use out of it.
Thats what I was asking about. A shell, jacket. I have a nice insulated coat but because i always ski in march sometimes I can run into warmer weather.

TS
M

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
not trying to thread jack but might look at my Arc'teryx Sabre I have for sale in the classifieds.
Unfortunately that is too small for me. I need a 2x , thats why my options are limited. Im worried the Spyder i found online may be too small as everything i have seen from Spyder tends to run small.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thats what I was asking about. A shell, jacket. I have a nice insulated coat but because i always ski in march sometimes I can run into warmer weather.
Sorry, what I meant was a versatile shell jacket rather than a ski spesific shell jacket.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would lean toward the Obermeyer of those options. Spyder does tend to run on the smaller side so if you're borderline it could be risky. I don't know about the actual fabric but Obermeyer is a good brand so I wouldn't be overly concerned, especially for so few days each year.

Bienski

Putting on skis
Skier
REI is having a sale right now. This might be an option.
75145F84-D2A5-45D6-BBE0-7565C3C0CB42.png

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ideas by pricing and quality that are Ski worthy, but not dedicated ski shells (meaning you can use for other purposes:

Make sure there are pit zips.
Make sure it is helmet compatible. A lot of general shells don't do well over ski helmets.

1. Higher Price (not highest though) Arcteryx Beta AR is a great all around jacket that would be more than fine for ski shell. You can almost always find them for 25% off or more. Bought mine in the $375 range off steep & cheap a couple years ago. Patagonia shells fit larger and are well liked. I don't like Patagonia shells, personally due to fit and how they are designed, but there's a ton of Goretex options to choose from. The Triolet may be a decent option.

2. Mid Price: Outdoor Research Skyward II (not gore though, but amazing). or Outdoor Research Interstellar. Also big fan of Marmot and Mountain Hardwear

3. Lower Price: As mentioned, REI Brand. However I'd test Stormbolt over Drypoint though because of better helmet and pit zips.

TS
M

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
Ideas by pricing and quality that are Ski worthy, but not dedicated ski shells (meaning you can use for other purposes:

Make sure there are pit zips.
Make sure it is helmet compatible. A lot of general shells don't do well over ski helmets.

1. Higher Price (not highest though) Arcteryx Beta AR is a great all around jacket that would be more than fine for ski shell. You can almost always find them for 25% off or more. Bought mine in the $375 range off steep & cheap a couple years ago. Patagonia shells fit larger and are well liked. I don't like Patagonia shells, personally due to fit and how they are designed, but there's a ton of Goretex options to choose from. The Triolet may be a decent option.

2. Mid Price: Outdoor Research Skyward II (not gore though, but amazing). or Outdoor Research Interstellar. Also big fan of Marmot and Mountain Hardwear

3. Lower Price: As mentioned, REI Brand. However I'd test Stormbolt over Drypoint though because of better helmet and pit zips.
Thank you all for the suggestions. Much Appreciated

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank you all for the suggestions. Much Appreciated

FYI - Skyward II on sale at REI for 30% off today in XL could match your size. That's a pretty good price.

XXL Arc Beta AR at 30% as well. That's better than average, price. If in your budget for the best all around ski and other uses, Arc Beta AR is probably it

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online